Fires along Superstition Ridgeline

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Fires along Superstition Ridgeline

Post by AZLumberjack »

Last night, around 7:30, I noticed a red glow coming from the Superstition Mountain Ridgeline. There were two fires burning. The first was a small fire just below the 5057 summit and the other appeared to be above the Three Sisters rock formation, above the Wave Cave. I called 9-1-1 to notify the fire dept but they were already aware of the fires.

This morning, the fires were not burning but there's still smoke coming from areas that were not burning last night. As of 07:30, as I'm writing this, there are no aircraft in the area of the fires. Don't know if the Forest Service is just hoping that there's not enough fuel up there to send a crew up to fight the fires.
Attachments
Larger fire above Three Sisters rock formation
Larger fire above Three Sisters rock formation
Smaller fire close to summit
Smaller fire close to summit
Notice the plumes of smoke on the left side
Notice the plumes of smoke on the left side
Close up of the smoke
Close up of the smoke
Last edited by AZLumberjack on Aug 21 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Re: Fires along Superstition Ridgeline

Post by Jim_H »

@AZLumberjack
You mean 5057, right? 5074 was a typo, and not some new summit I need to surmount?!? Right!?! Right?
Reaching new standards in excelence.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

@Jim_H
Typo, corrected.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Thursday 8/20, 7:00pm
The Superstition Fire is burning in the wilderness north of the Peralta Trailhead. This lightning-caused wildfire is approximately 100 acres and is burning in grass and light brush. The fire is NOT threatening any communities and there are NO evacuations in effect.

Flames will be visible from the East Valley and surrounding communities as outflow winds from passing thunderstorms influence fire behavior. There may be some smoke impact to the communities of Gold Canyon, Apache Junction, and Queen Valley, especially overnight.

Due to inaccessible terrain, excessive heat, and limited resources due to local and national fire activity, the fire is not currently staffed, however, it is being closely monitored by air resources, with crews available if needed.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

@chumley
Right, it's wilderness and no structures, so let it burn. Doesn't matter that all the Saguaros it kills will never be replaced. You've been calling that correctly and it's sad. But I guess there was lightning way back before we started suppressing, even in the desert, so it is what it is.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
wildwesthikes
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by wildwesthikes »

There's probably enough fuel in west boulder canyon to make me wince at the staffing statement.
chumley

Post by chumley »

SUPERSTITION FIRE UPDATE 8/23/20: There has been an increase in fire activity on the north end of the fire. Smoke is visible from the East Valley and Gold Canyon areas. Air Attack is over the fire at this time reporting that the fire is NOT a threat to any communities. The fire is consuming light cured grasses that have dried out following light precipitation a few days prior. Firefighters are staged in the Peralta Canyon Rd area monitoring fire behavior. Updates will be posted as information becomes available.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7046/
wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack »

Dutchman trail looking south toward west boulder this morning.
img_9030.jpg
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

My driveway offers me a view of the Ridgeline from the Flatiron to the 5057 summit. I have been on the lookout for telltale smoke columns and they showed up once again and they're moving to the West, towards the Flatiron. This morning, as I left for my morning walk, the smell of smoke was heavy in the air and the breeze was from the NW, directly off the top of the mountain. I hope the lack of attention by the Forest Service doesn't bite them in the a-s. Some of the canyon's like West Boulder on the North side and Hog Canyon on the South side have a lot of fuel and could become the start of some bad wildfires. :M2C:
Attachments
View of Ridgeline on 05-23-20
View of Ridgeline on 05-23-20
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

This fire is evolving exactly as I predicted due to the "wait and see" approach, which works fine in a healthy balanced ecosystem... If that's what low deserts were, but they're not.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

Kept watching the smoke columns on the Ridgeline slowly but steadily moving West towards the Flatiron. I drove over to First Water Road and continued on to the Trailhead to get a couple of photos of the fire (mostly smoke) working up and down, what appears to be O'Grady and Old West Boulder Canyons. Then, on my way back home, I stopped at the small trailhead at the end of Broadway to get more photos of the fire/smoke along the Ridgeline.

Later in the afternoon, there was a large plume of dark smoke rising from the Ridgeline and at the same time, a cloud came through and forced the smoke down into Hog Canyon and the top of the mountain disappeared into that cloud and haze. I powered up the weather app on my phone and it showed a storm cloud at that exact same spot. I think that it rained on the top of the mountain just before the cloud moved off to the west and broke apart.

This morning it's extremely hazy but I think that the smoke is back again. ](*,)
Attachments
O'Grady & Old West Boulder Canyons
O'Grady & Old West Boulder Canyons
Ridgeline
Ridgeline
chumley

Post by chumley »

@Azlumberjack Don't worry about it Jack. No structures are threatened. :y:
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

@
yep, it's only wilderness out there
I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Wouldn't bother me so much knowing it was lightning caused it if weren't for the fact that human activities are driving it. Like 90% of it is already a smoldering pile so might as well let the job get finished by "nature".

Anyway, who cares right? It's nature doing its thing as it always has plus Starbucks is bringing back the Pumpkin Spice Latte early this year every thing is going to be ok!
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

Like the bear that went over the mountain to see, there will be some HAZ'ers that as soon as the smoke clears will give us a detailed report of what they walked through and experienced on that mountain fire. They will come back and look like fire fighters, black, dirty, with sweat marks upon their smoky faces and smiling because they were the first on the scene. :scared: :scared: :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Via inciweb:
There will be a Public Safety Closure in effect starting tomorrow (8/26/20). The closure will include areas west of Peralta Canyon Road, areas north of Peralta Canyon Road, and the Peralta Trail. A copy of the order will be posted prior to implementation. Please continue to check the Tonto National Forest Facebook page for updates throughout the day.
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Post by Jim_H »

Wait, so I could have been subjecting myself to a carton of cigarettes worth of smoke and hiked 5024 yesterday?

And, yet no one did!?! Huh?

Perhaps this fire will clear out the brush leading up to 5024, what little there is? I bet access to 5057 will be greatly improved for the next 8 months or so.
Reaching new standards in excelence.
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

@wildwesthikes
I saw this on the Tonto NF farcebook page a while ago: "There is a Public Safety Closure in effect today. The closure area includes the First water TH, Crosscut TH, Broadway TH, Hieroglyphic TH, and Peralta TH. Please avoid these closure areas, and the fire area."

I believe that Lost Dutchman State Park is also closed.
I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Man it traveled fast down from the supposed cliffed-out position into the lowlands. Now into 2nd Water Canyon & on Black Mesa. Still some activity in West Boulder as well. I'm kind of to the point of saying "meh, new normal". Desert backpacking this winter will be interesting.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

wildwesthikes wrote: Aug 27 2020 10:41 am Man it traveled fast down from the supposed cliffed-out position into the lowlands. Now into 2nd Water Canyon & on Black Mesa. Still some activity in West Boulder as well. I'm kind of to the point of saying "meh, new normal". Desert backpacking this winter will be interesting.
Wow, there's going to be nothing left untouched. :(

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”