Fires along Superstition Ridgeline

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Fires along Superstition Ridgeline

Post by AZLumberjack »

Last night, around 7:30, I noticed a red glow coming from the Superstition Mountain Ridgeline. There were two fires burning. The first was a small fire just below the 5057 summit and the other appeared to be above the Three Sisters rock formation, above the Wave Cave. I called 9-1-1 to notify the fire dept but they were already aware of the fires.

This morning, the fires were not burning but there's still smoke coming from areas that were not burning last night. As of 07:30, as I'm writing this, there are no aircraft in the area of the fires. Don't know if the Forest Service is just hoping that there's not enough fuel up there to send a crew up to fight the fires.
Attachments
Larger fire above Three Sisters rock formation
Larger fire above Three Sisters rock formation
Smaller fire close to summit
Smaller fire close to summit
Notice the plumes of smoke on the left side
Notice the plumes of smoke on the left side
Close up of the smoke
Close up of the smoke
Last edited by AZLumberjack on Aug 21 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Re: Fires along Superstition Ridgeline

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

I would like to confirm that the road off of State Route 88 to First Water Trailhead is closed. This was first reported August 30th by AzLumberjack. Went out this morning to see the damage by the fire and the barricades in place are not temporary but appear permanent. Looks like another road that is going to be unavailable to us for a long time. :( :( :(
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz »

@SuperstitionGuy

"This Order will be in effect at_0600__. on August 25, 2020 and shall remain in effect until September 30, 2020 or until rescinded, whichever occurs first."
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 792706.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 792705.pdf

Not much open, at least in TNF >> https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/ho ... EPRD759501
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

hikeaz wrote:Not much open, at least in TNF
They should have taken that page down a month ago. Tonto is now in Stage 1, as Stage 3 was downgraded on 7/31.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tonto/al ... ?aid=60539
Championing breakfast since 1994.
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@chumley Its expected, I mean they are the worst managed national forest in AZ? ;)
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

chumley wrote:They should have taken that page down a month ago.
Yeah.....all that typing over the course of a month could tucker-out a guy/gal...
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

SuperstitionGuy wrote:State Route 88 to First Water Trailhead is closed.
I've been checking the entrance to First Water Road on a daily basis, although the FS Security isn't present anymore, the roadblock is more permanent. It appears as though the barricade is intended to keep vehicles out and if you can find parking room, hiking is still permitted. I think the FS is having a big wiener roast up there and don't want freeloaders showing up. :o
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.
SuperstitionGuy

@AZLumberjack
On the bottom of every post you quote the following.
"On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip."
I suggest you change it to this.....
"On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another road blocked. Today the road block was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the last trip."
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

@SuperstitionGuy
Hah. Seems like that's the way its been going the last couple of years. :o
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

Recent Update.... I have been checking the status of the First Water Road on an almost daily basis but the "ROAD CLOSURE" sign and barricades are still in place. I decided to park my truck along the Apache Trail where the First Water Road takes off and walk the road to the Crosscut Trailhead. From the empty parking lot I took the trail leading to the Massacre Grounds. I followed the trail to the old Massacre Trailhead and made a return 'off-trail'.

As I was returning to my vehicle, I noticed a white pickup parked at the barricades belonging to the Forest Service. I talked with the FS guy as I was removing my stuff and he made the comment; "You can't hike in there any more". Well, that got me going. We had a bit of friendly (?) back & forth but the results is that the Tonto Forest is closed until further notice due to the extremely dry conditions. That means.... NO HIKING IN THE SUPERSTITIONS, Period. and the road remains closed.

I will have a triplog posted with photos taken from this morning's hiking adventure.
chumley

Post by chumley »

AZLumberjack wrote:the Tonto Forest is closed until further notice due to the extremely dry conditions. That means.... NO HIKING IN THE SUPERSTITIONS, Period
Your "FS Guy" gave you information that is wildly different from what his employer provides to the public through it's official information channels. (See @friendofthundergod 's thoughtful commentary on the Tonto NF on this forum :sweat: )

The vast majority of the Superstitions is open. The closure area is clearly marked (and yes, you were in violation of it). And the closure does not have anything to do with the dry conditions (thus adjacent lands on the same ranger district are still open), but rather the Superstition Fire. The current closure order is set to expire on September 30.

The map showing the closure area you were hiking through can be found on the Tonto NF Website under "Alerts".
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tonto/alerts-notices

MAP of Superstition Fire closure area:
Attachments
Only the darkest brown areas are closed due to current/recent fires.
Only the darkest brown areas are closed due to current/recent fires.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack »

chumley wrote:The vast majority of the Superstitions is open.
Don't know what to tell ya Chums, this guy said that Peralta is closed as well. Must be something brand new.
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

Peralta Trailhead is listed as "the border" of the Superstition Fire closure order set to expire in Sept 30th, as a separate closure from the general stage 1 closure. So it is on the border, and usually the line that divides the border is off-limits, meaning you could seem to drive to 10 yards of the trailhead but can't actually enter the trailhead area itself.

It's not a new closure.

Link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 792705.pdf
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

@AZLumberjack

In typical TNF fashion ..
map peralta.png
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
nonot

Post by nonot »

@AZLumberjack
Here's a map: I'd guess less than 10% of the wilderness is subject to closure. Admittedly it is tough to hike some of the trails that are open due tot he associated trailhead being closed, but it is what it is.

http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
rayhuston
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by rayhuston »

@AZLumberjack Peralta TH is open, but Peralta trail is closed. That appears to be the east boundary of the closure. The Bluff Springs and Dutchman trails are open.
SuperstitionGuy

If you want something confusing give it to the government to define...... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@rayhuston
Thank you, your reply is as specific as a reply can be.
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

SuperstitionGuy wrote: Sep 17 2020 1:33 pm If you want something confusing give it to the government to define...... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
From a TNF gathering...
Attachments
comic.jpg
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Wow I don't think I've seen a Dilbert comic since like 2003.

If it were me I'd just bypass the controversy and start at boulder TH or Tortilla TH though I know the drive is a bit of a roller coaster.

BTW if anyone happens out on Peter's Trail way this weekend as an alt, and down to the bottom with Dutchman please let me know what the water is like at Charlebois (and/or LarBarge). Long shot of either being entirely dry but weirder things have happened this year. I'd go myself but have previous engagement. Kthx.
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

wildwesthikes wrote: Sep 17 2020 4:23 pm Wow I don't think I've seen a Dilbert comic since like 2003.
Actually done by a 'guest artist' , Tapper ..... invited to draw it by Scott Adams.
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”