Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

2021 Fire Season

Post by Jim_H »

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7438/

Commence your freakout. Might burn the mountain, might not.

I saw the large smoke plume yesterday around 5 PM in a Satellite image but figured it was so large that it must have been a cloud shield. Nope.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: 2021 Fire Season

Post by chumley »

Rafael Fire has moved south Garland Prairie residences into GO status. From my reading of the post this is because they will begin back-burning on the rim north of Sycamore Canyon, not because the actual fire has moved that far up. But it seems to indicate that they are not going to attempt to stop the fire anywhere in Sycamore Canyon but rather try to keep it from getting up above it. Which could mean that the bulk of Sycamore Canyon will be affected by the Rafael Fire.

At the same time, the communities south and west of Flagstaff that were in SET, have been downgraded to READY.
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Alamo is pretty much done at small acreage but this is from inciweb --hope I didn't violate copyright--- and for some reason I found the wording pompous and amusing. Why didn't they just walk across like pretty much everybody else???
"Highlights: A monumental binational collaboration between the United States and Mexico occurred today, facilitated by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) , Coronado National Forest, Santa Cruz County Emergency Management Services, Sonora State Emergency Management , and National Forestry Commission of Mexico (Conafor), to transport Conafor bomberos (firefighters) into the U.S. to support the fire suppression efforts on the Alamo Fire. Nine Conafor bomberos from Durango, Mexico that have been fighting the fire on the east flank of the Alamo Fire in Mexico passed through the Dennis DeConcino Port of Entry with the aid of CBP and were transported to the west flank of the Alamo Fire in the U.S. Once in place, the Conafor bomberos hiked into the southwest portion of the fire crossing back into Mexico. This was the safest and most direct access for the Conafor bomberos to enter the southside of the fire. These skilled firefighters will be working to stop the fires forward progress in Mexico and from entering the U.S. "
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

RedRoxx44 wrote:Why didn't they just walk across like pretty much everybody else???
...lol
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Also looking at Johnson Fire in the Gila-- of note to me is work at Hummingbird Saddle ( a small green area survived Whitewater Baldy and I hope that did not burn severely this time) protection at Apache Cabin ( which again survived Whitewater Baldy fire and is in a magical area off my old fav the Apache-Holt trail) and coordination with game and fish about removing lineage species of Gila Trout and Gila Cub; I assume they are anticipating debris flow with monsoonal rains and choking of the little streams. Active fire is around or in the West Fork and near 74 mountain. It sounds like it is pretty low key and they have been getting rain.
chumley

Post by chumley »

The funniest thing in that post is that poor Dennis DeConcini (apparently to make Italian into Spanish you change the last i to o) is "honored" by having the port of entry named after him. If there's one thing I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my name on it would be a port of entry.
33s over 45s
AugustWest
City, State: Phoenix

Post by AugustWest »

@chumley
Better or worse than a designated exit point? I guess for some, the same thing.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

chumley wrote:If there's one thing I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my name on it would be a port of entry.
This is still a family oriented site right? Dang, a plethora of innuendo right there.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@Alston_Neal
Yeah, I really didn't get that either.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with pigeons.
chumley

Post by chumley »

Backbone GO closure for Pine has been rolled back allowing residents to return. Strawberry is still in GO mode
33s over 45s
jacobemerick
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by jacobemerick »

Drove through a downpour on June 24 in the Quartzite area, then saw this fire plume from Planet Ranch Fire on June 25. Photo taken from Ehrenberg.

chumley

Post by chumley »

Rafael is turning into the biggest prescribed fire in state history. For what was once mostly confined to southern Sycamore within Prescott NF, both Coco and Kaibab have each fired huge perimeters dozens of miles away from JD Dam, Whitehorse Lake, Garland Prairie and around to Turkey Butte. And now they're filling it in. It will be interesting to get in there post-fire and see the severity of these intentional burns. I hope it's not Galiuro-looking in the end.
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I dunno, how many acres now?? I figure at least a direct 92K on the forest service tab for Telegraph. That makes it the biggest this year, I think. See where Rafael is when they declare it BAER ready.
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

chumley wrote:Rafael is turning into the biggest prescribed fire in state history.
fwiw, here is what inciweb says about the origin of the fire: "The Rafael Fire was discovered on June 18, 2021, on the Prescott National Forest, the result of passing predominantly dry thunderstorms."
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

BAER has been ordered for the west side of Rafael fire. Also incident commander is I believe the same one that was on Telegraph. Backburn central. Anyhow, they are starting to mop it up at 48% contained. No reported structures burned.

Strawberry residents are allowed to go home and remain on SET status.

Pertaining to the Johnson Fire in the Gila as I suspected--
"Biologists and fire personnel were successful in removing approximately 350 Gila trout from Langstroth Creek and White Creek yesterday. 250 pure lineage Gila trout were removed from Langstroth Creek and 100 mixed lineage Gila trout were removed from White Creek. Biologists determined the need to remove the fish after assessing the potential for ash flow impacts to the creek after the fire, during monsoon season. These creeks will be monitored for riparian recovery for a year at minimum, and once the creek has stabilized, Gila trout will be returned to their natural habitat in the headwaters they were removed from. All Gila trout will be moved to the Mora National Fish Hatchery and Technology Center in Mora, New Mexico. The Mora National Fish Hatchery is dedicated to the restoration and recovery of the threatened Gila trout, a fish found only in the high desert and mountain watersheds of the Gila, Salt, and Verde drainages in New Mexico and Arizona. Biologists maintain wild brood stocks of the rare Gila trout, keeping them in as much a natural setting as possible. The Gila National Forest and the Mora National Fish Hatchery have a long and successful partnership together to protect Gila trout after wildfires occur on the forest."
pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by pixelfrog »

So it looks like there's a fire in Haunted Canyon in the Supes, anyone hear anything? As if enough of the Supes haven't burned yet!
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

It's on the hill in the background @ [ photo ]
- joe
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

There's a lot to burn in that area. I hope it doesn't get to the cabin.
andrewp
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by andrewp »

RedRoxx44 wrote:iologists determined the need to remove the fish after assessing the potential for ash flow impacts to the creek after the fire, during monsoon season.

Is it possible to gauge the severity of the burn from this action? Are we talking large-scale moonscape like the Whitewater-Baldy fire or more of a natural underbrush clean-out with the forest canopy remaining intact?
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

@andrewp
I have no idea. From what I have read Johnson Fire in no way as severe as Whitewater Baldy; but we are in such a dry period I am sure some of the mosaic could be severe, esp in areas of cross over.
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding »

big_load wrote:That might be another one that I'm glad I saw before it was too late.
A lot of us here in California have been saying that same thing recently. I'm glad I got to see the Freeman Grove of giant sequoia and Big Basin.

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”