2012 Fire Season

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

2012 Fire Season

Post by Jim_H » May 02 2011 6:42 pm

Rebooting for the 2012 Fire season. Here comes the smoke, and we now what that means.

I must be blowing it?
Last edited by Jim_H on Apr 02 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocks!!

joebartels

Re: 2011 Fire Season

Post by joebartels » May 16 2011 4:20 pm

lol... almost
I loaded it today. The list went to 2006 which were all Year-Name. The ones I loaded today are Name-Year at the bottom of the list.

Still waiting on others that develop for v3 maps before making a move on transitioning the remaining features.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 16 2011 4:23 pm

:sl: Ok, you're still a god. I take it back. :worthy:
Profound observer

chumley

Post by chumley » May 16 2011 4:25 pm

In other news there's a new fire that has closed the Beeline today.

From AZ511
State Route 87 : Obstruction Hazards
Description serious fire. Expect delays
Location On State Route 87, South-bound from mile post 212.0, 3.90 miles South of SUN FLOWER to mile post 209.0, 6.90 miles South of SUN FLOWER
Duration May 16 from 2:52 P.M. to 5:30 P.M.
Event Id 407069
Profound observer

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 17 2011 3:03 pm

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/NM ... 008-0.jpeg
http://inciweb.org/incident/2207

Looks like the Feds are planning on using trails that made up part of my route last year, as a fire line for the Miller, and most of McKenna will burn. That area needed it. Shame that more can't be left to burn up there.
Rocks!!

chumley

Post by chumley » May 20 2011 9:41 am

Restrictions lifted on Prescott NF, Coconino NF, and Kaibab NF. Apache-Sitgreaves NF was supposed to start restrictions today but has reversed the earlier order.

Tonto NF and Coronado NF remain under restrictions.
Profound observer

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » May 20 2011 10:26 am

Come on Tonto! You can do it! :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 22 2011 10:46 am

The Miller is a little over 80,000 acres. They appear to have cut lines right on the route I took from Hell's Hole to Lilley Park and down to Mckenna and the Diablo Range. Nice country. Anyway, that area may burn south of the West Fork, which is good, as with the exception of the suppressed at 1000 acres lightning caused fire from last year, it hasn't burned since 2003. They cut lines on the trails, but if they're using choppers to drop water the fire may not penetrate very far into the park. Waste of money, but that's fire suppression which has gotten us to where we are today.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/NM ... 119-1.jpeg
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 302285.pdf
Rocks!!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 27 2011 9:41 am

She approaches 88,000 acres. Looks like the Miller was allowed to burn about 2/5ths to 1/2 way across McKenna Park before encountering a handline and perhaps slowing or stopping due to light fuels. In McKenna, it burned to a N-S trending line roughly on the boundary of Range 15 and 16 W. I don't know if they used retardant, I hope they didn't, but at least half of McKenna was able to burn again. Trail 187 and and then a handline down to 155 will probably be the western boundary in McKenna. It had been 8 years since a fire rolled through there in July of 2003, and the only way fuel levels can be kept low enough to not girdle trees is by having more frequent fires. Maybe a nice lightning fire will occur in the Mogollons and burn out easterly.
Rocks!!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » May 27 2011 10:18 am

Glad we saw it when we did (http://hikearizona.com/TL.php?ID=39616). But hopefully this is a "good" fire along the forest floor. Much of what I've seen of the Gila appears to burn moderately/healthily.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 27 2011 10:32 am

Fire is neither good nor bad, it's just fire. Ponderosa pine, like all other fire dependent ecosystems, requires fire to maintain it, yet the fire still has an affect on the trees and other plants, available nutrients, and the soil and water quality. But, with out the fire, the area eventually ceases to be and when a fire does occur it can be far worse than when the lower intensity ones happened.

Other than this year's winter being exceptionally dry and live fuel moisture levels being very low in this, the pre-monsoon time, the fire is largely beneficial. In areas which haven't seen fire in decades, it will be destructive and create ugly conditions for a while, but in places like McKenna Park, perhaps Little Turkey Park, and along Little Creek in the pine stringers, the fire should really improve things. The problems in pine, are really only encountered when overly dense conditions allow the fire to crown, or heat is trapped in the crowns and excessive leaf scorch occurs, but mostly when decades of duff burns at the base girdling the pines. The only thing that can be done to prevent that is to rake the base of the thick duff build up and to have more frequent fires.

The 2003 fire in McKenna was the first wide spread fire in a long, long time. The duff was thick at the base of the pines and though it was a low intensity burn, the duff burned deep and long and made a lot of scars into the bark of the trees. This in itself is not bad, but these dead areas then allowed for pathogens to enter the roots of the trees at the weakest and most vulnerable spot. Some trees died outright, and some lived with root rot. Last May, after years of rot and then that spring's high winds, many live crowned trees blew over. When I looked at them, it was all the same thing: root decay. It is important to differentiate between trees which blew over, root mass/ root ball and all, and these which just broke and blew right over. Sadly, the ones I anecdotally noted as going over most, were the oldest and most impressive ones. None are terribly tall in McKenna (maybe 100 feet, tops), as site index is not very impressive due to the basalt origin of the soil and the relatively shallow nature of it, but DBH's were. Some were 3 to 4 feet in diameter. The younger cohort which came in around the time of the wilderness designation is about 100 years old. After grazing ceased and before the grasses were able to reclaim their dominance, a pretty heavy pine regeneration crop emerged. These trees are denser and younger than the much older trees. Point is, they have smaller crowns because they grew in denser conditions, and therefore will not achieve the diameters of the older, more open grown trees. It will take a lot of time, but eventually, if the FS is more wilderness minded in management and not just name, then places like McKenna can redevelop into the conditions that existed in 1880 when the Texans first brought their live beef up there to graze. We are in a transition period now, with the trees having to deal with the affects of fire suppression and fire's reintroduction. If you're around in 150 years, we'll see how it looks out there.
Rocks!!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 01 2011 6:49 pm

As of today, June 1, Apache-Sitgreaves NF is now back under stage I fire restrictions. I'd expect to see Coconino, Kaibab, and Prescott to join by next week.
Profound observer

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 01 2011 7:17 pm

We had an 8 acre fire in Pumphouse Wash yesterday, the Pumphouse Fire. The grass greened up nicely, and the trees probably benefited from the rain and snow a few weeks ago, but they probably should have just left the old restrictions in place if they were necessary. It doesn't really seem very dry, and it's a little hard to tell anyway since it's been so cold and things really haven't grown much, or enough to tell if moisture stress is an issue.

I was thinking that except for the Dry Lake Hills, more or less everything around here that is really dense and would be noticed or missed if it burned, has already burned, so sometime you have to wonder who really cares if the forest burns? Sometimes a little intense fire does more to open things up then the thinnings they do. Just depends on how hot it burns.
Rocks!!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 01 2011 8:16 pm

I think restrictions are coming statewide because firefighting resources are getting thin, perhaps more of a factor than the temperature/humidity/fuel situation.
Profound observer

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 02 2011 1:23 pm

I knew the southeast corner of the state had a very dry winter, but with the high activity and quick growth of the Wallow fire, and so early in the season at that high elevation ... I didn't realize that the White Mtns had also suffered as bad. Seems that the farther west you go, the more "normal" the winter was. I believe that especially north and west (Kaibab) there's a much lower probability of fire this season.
Profound observer

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 02 2011 1:41 pm

But, we've got a new fire west of town, and it also appears to be north of I-40 and east of Bellemont. Windy and dry, so we'll see how this goes. I spotted it at 1300 and now at 1340 it has a large and dark smoke plume. Smoke is visible in the Peaks Cam.
Rocks!!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 02 2011 2:07 pm

The fire is south of 40 on Camp Navajo, and according to the Daily Sun, it resulted from demolition for road construction out there. If that was the case, it sounds like it happened from explosives, and if that was the case, I'd like to know who though using explosives, on a red flag day, was a good idea.
Rocks!!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 02 2011 2:24 pm

Not just white-trash-city-hick campers are stupid with fire. The government is too!
Profound observer

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 02 2011 2:34 pm

Well, they were probably contractors working on the base. And, for all we know, they were from Texas!
Rocks!!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 02 2011 6:01 pm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/news/2 ... ate1.shtml

The Engineer has grown to 100 acres. Could be a bad weekend.
Rocks!!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 02 2011 6:41 pm

It could be a bad month. It's a long time before we can expect any moisture around the state.
Profound observer

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”