City, State: Phx, AZ

Greer Lodge Burnt to Ground

Post by allanalxndr » May 10 2011 7:52 am

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Re: Greer Lodge Burnt to Ground

Post by SuperstitionGuy » May 10 2011 10:10 am

:(
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 10 2011 12:01 pm

Oh, my goodness. I know someone who was working there up until recently. Anyway, nice old building, very sad.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 10 2011 8:57 pm

Everyone is expecting there to be some repercussions with this. A lot of people seem to think it may have been arson. There is a comment thread on the local newspaper's website. Plus, of course, I called home and got the skinny from my family, plus a former boss connected to one of the nearby fire depts.

This was truly one of the great old log lodges of the West. I applied for a job there 2 years ago to lead recreation (hiking, kayaking, etc.) but got hired for same thing at Hidden Meadow, (for which I have been grateful ever since.) I didn't care for the manager at that time at Greer Lodge, who hasn't worked there for some time.

Surprised this thread didn't gain much attention. To me, this is the big news of the week for AZ.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

allanalxndr

Post by allanalxndr » May 10 2011 9:04 pm

I have never been or stayed there but was hoping to make it up there this summer. They are still open and operating, it was the history lodge building that burnt to the ground.

Latest from their website:
The Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins sits on 25 acres and contains 60 Buildings. Today, one of our Buildings was destroyed by a fire. The other 59 Buildings are OK. They are not damaged and they are in full operation. All of our Amenities are available.

Your reservations are safe. If your reservation is in one of our Historic Lodge Rooms, please call us at 928-735-7216 or email us at Information@GreerLodgeAz.com and we will reassign you to another room or cabin, subject to availability.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 10 2011 9:12 pm

Greer Lodge is always a big part of the gossip mill in the eastern end of the White Mtns. It usually employs a lot of local people, especially in summer. It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up. I heard they brought in the Feds. Could be just another rumor.

allanalxndr

Post by allanalxndr » May 10 2011 9:17 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Greer Lodge is always a big part of the gossip mill in the eastern end of the White Mtns. It usually employs a lot of local people, especially in summer. It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up. I heard they brought in the Feds. Could be just another rumor.
ATF is assisting in the investigation according to the latest reports from ABC15.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 10 2011 9:27 pm

:(

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 11 2011 5:00 am

allanalxndr wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:Greer Lodge is always a big part of the gossip mill in the eastern end of the White Mtns. It usually employs a lot of local people, especially in summer. It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up. I heard they brought in the Feds. Could be just another rumor.
ATF is assisting in the investigation according to the latest reports from ABC15.
Ok, well that was part of the gossip I heard, that it was the ATF.

Here's the ATF's mission from their website: A unique law enforcement agency in the United States Department of Justice that protects our communities from violent criminals, criminal organizations, the illegal use and trafficking of firearms, the illegal use and storage of explosives, acts of arson and bombings, acts of terrorism, and the illegal diversion of alcohol and tobacco products. We partner with communities, industries, law enforcement, and public safety agencies to safeguard the public we serve through information sharing, training, research, and use of technology.

So, they help communities with acts of arson... :( I won't be a bit surprised if they also bring in the DEA...

cindyl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by cindyl » May 11 2011 6:40 am

Just to add to the Greer rumor mill... :STP:
I happen to be friends with the woman who runs the Frosty Bottom Cafe, a food truck that the owner of the Greer lodge has been aiming to put out of business citing "bad for business." Now, if his business was in such an awful state, could we postulate that perhaps there might be motive to torch it? BTW: the Frosty Bottom owner was in Tucson at the time of the fire.
There are just two switchbacks left. And another half-mile to the destination...

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 11 2011 12:57 pm

No, I don't think Doug did it. As I said, I don't want to pass the rumor along as to which parties did it. Just add "tweakers" into the gossip mix...

cindyl

Post by cindyl » May 11 2011 5:11 pm

@azbackpackr Good to know. Personally, I think the old building was the best thing going for Greer Lodge.
There are just two switchbacks left. And another half-mile to the destination...

no avatar
khoelscher
City, State: new river az

Post by khoelscher » May 12 2011 2:35 pm

I spent over a month up there couple years back photographing every unit for the resort website. The Lodge was just amazing. very historic, just so sad to see it go

as far as the rumor mill goes, there was a kind of "hostile" i guess that would be the word, attitude by some of the locals and the few resort owners of Doug primary because they kinda looked at his as this "city slicker" with money

IMO, I think it was more he came up there, renovated alot of the old cabins he bought, and built alot of new ones. So the Greer Lodge offered newer, more luxurious accommodations at the rates other were renting out 30 year old run down cabins. Plus, this being a mountain community, things are usualy much more laid back and casual, but Doug ran it as an efficient for profit business

At least, that is the whisperings I got when I was there.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 12 2011 6:31 pm

Well, that probably is not the story on the fire, though, although people up there do whine about every little change to their 1950's lifestyle.
Of course, maybe it will be found to be accidental, who knows? But if that is the case, how is it that the entire thing burned down all at once? Doesn't make sense to me.

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » May 16 2011 2:23 pm

Investigation continues into blaze at Greer Lodge

GREER — The fire chief in the rural mountain community of Greer says the investigation into last week’s fire at the Greer Lodge continues.

Chief Mark Wade tells The Associated Press there is nothing to indicate at this time that the fire is suspicious.

Wade says The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was asked to assist in the investigation. The probe will likely continue for a few more weeks before authorities know the cause.

The famed lodge nestled in the White Mountains burned to the ground nearly a week ago.

The fire lit the morning darkness as intense flames chewed through old wooden logs leaving a pile of smoldering ruins.

source: http://azstarnet.com/news/state-and-reg ... 03286.html

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Greer Lodge Fire Ruled Arson

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jun 08 2011 11:42 am

Greer Lodge Fire Ruled Arson
Reward of $5,000 for Information in Greer Lodge Arson

PHOENIX, AZ – Special Agent in Charge Thomas Brandon of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Phoenix Field Division, announced today that the Greer Lodge fire was an act of arson and is offering a reward of $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s) responsible.

“Arson is a violent crime that often results in devastating loss of life and property,” stated Special Agent in Charge Thomas Brandon. “We are committed to continuing our investigation with our partners and I am confident that the good citizens of the White Mountain area will come forward with information that will assist us in bringing those responsible to justice.”

The fire which occurred in the early morning hours of May10, 2011 completely destroyed the historic Greer Lodge in Greer Arizona. ATF joined the investigation at the request of the Greer Fire Department and the Apache County Sheriff’s Department to provide our expertise to process the scene. There were no injuries and the fire damage was estimated in excess of $2 million dollars.

All information will be treated confidentially and the callers will remain anonymous if requested. Anyone having information about the fire should immediately call ATF hotline 1-888-ATF-FIRE 1-888-ATF-FIRE or 888-283-3473 888-283-3473

ATF is the federal law enforcement agency with jurisdiction for investigating crimes of arson. More information about ATF and its programs can be found at http://www.atf.gov.

source: http://www.wmicentral.com/news/greer-lo ... 002e0.html

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 08 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for this. I hope they are found soon, prosecuted, and do at least 20 years. And people can come along and say, "It would have burned down anyway," which is most likely true, given today's progress of the Wallow Fire.

But we do not need this kind of individual living in our White Mountain communities (or anywhere else, for that matter.) This is why we pay taxes. So we can lock 'em up and throw away the key.

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 08 2011 6:45 pm

Arson is hardly a life sentence, he'd get a year tops with a good lawyer.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 08 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, but throw in the meth and some other stuff, maybe he'd get a little more than that. Just wait...

no avatar
sam_hikes
City, State: Phoenix,AZ

Post by sam_hikes » Jan 07 2013 2:36 pm

Greer Lodge and associated properties are now closed per wmicentral report from Jan 7.

Their website is up and appears to still be accepting reservations so be careful.

I just phoned the Greer Lodge and they confirmed they are closed and the properties will be up for auction on Feb 19 in St Johns.
Last edited by sam_hikes on Jan 07 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”