Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Monument Fire

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 15 2011 7:34 pm

Here we go with the Huachucas-- per msnbc online
"LUNA, N.M. — More areas near a southern Arizona city were evacuated on Wednesday after a fire there torched 40 homes overnight and moved towards heavier populated neighborhoods. The blaze heading towards Sierra Vista was much smaller than Arizona's massive Wallow fire but has already surpassed it in terms of property destroyed. "

I imagine the base will be aggressive in assisting in this matter. Sadly several cavers I know are all excited about ridgewalking since the fire will burn off the foliage. :(

Perimeter Map http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=851

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Re: Monument Fire

Post by Nighthiker » Jun 16 2011 5:33 am

We are getting ready to replace crews that were deployed to the Wallow Fire, next group may get sent down to Southern Arizona instead.
jk

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jun 16 2011 11:41 pm

This fire looks horrific. I shudder to think how much sky island forest we may lose this year

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jun 17 2011 12:30 am

Is it sad that the 1st thing that came to my mind is maybe the fire will burn up all the trash the illegals have left?

I climbed Miller Peak a few years back, nice area, sad to see all these places burning up.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 17 2011 5:23 am

An awful lot of this stuff has needed a burn for a long time. Miller Peak burned over about 20 years ago. Mt. Lemmon is better since the burn, I think. But it does take time for the areas to have some significant regrowth.

Latest news from the front in Springerville is that a lot of the fire is on the ground, a lot of trees have been left alive. I can't wait to go look. Already sneaked a peek at South Fork. White Mtns. has a significant over-population of elk, so aspen re-growth may be a problem, since they will eat all of it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

sbkelley
Diligent Kokopelli
City, State: Reno, NV

Post by sbkelley » Jun 17 2011 11:32 am

When I hiked Miller Peak last summer, we started by going over Carr Peak first from the Ramsey Canyon road. That whole area burned in 1977 and 1991, according to the USFS, and it was noticeable. Sunny and warm even at that altitude. The aspen groves higher up on Carr Peak were nice, though, and showed a hint of what this current burn area will look like in a few years (at least around Miller Peak itself). We didn't hit the dense conifer forest until the Crest Trail. I remember how dense the fuel load seemed and thinking how a little thinning would be wise...

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 17 2011 11:38 am

If it is as windy today down there as it is up here in Flag, that is going to really pump it up a lot. The forecast for the Wallow Fire this morning is also pretty dire.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

cathymocha
Endangered Jellypelli
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Jun 20 2011 2:09 pm

Monument fire seems to be heading back eastward of highway 92. Since it seems to have gone up from Ash Canyon and atop Millers Peak and down, I wonder if it has burned up some of the trash up on the trails the drug runners and illegals use to access the States. Just a thought. :?

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jun 20 2011 2:22 pm

Data just came in, kiss Carr goodbye :(
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=851
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cindyl
Fire! Lookout Kokopelli

Post by cindyl » Jun 20 2011 2:24 pm

joe bartels wrote:kiss Carr goodbye :(
:o :lone: :cry:
There are just two switchbacks left. And another half-mile to the destination...

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Jun 20 2011 2:36 pm

Don't think it has torched the campgrounds yet. If they can save those and some of the unique homes and the Mesquite Tree Restaurant below, I'll be a tad happier. Miller on the other hand must be a total disaster area (wonder how the Beatty Place fared?). Ash Canyon is now fully living up to its name (though pretty sure it was named for a tree). If the fire gets down into Ramsey Canyon it will be truly sad. :x :gun:
Onward into oblivion!

sbkelley
Diligent Kokopelli
City, State: Reno, NV

Post by sbkelley » Jun 20 2011 2:52 pm

Such a bummer...that area was just starting to recover. It will again, but that will take time. Hoping for the best for everyone's homes and businesses

cathymocha
Endangered Jellypelli
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Jun 20 2011 4:38 pm

joe bartels wrote:Data just came in, kiss Carr goodbye :(
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=851
I used to live near this area for about 15 years...it was so beautiful. :cry:

Good news, some of my friends who were evacuated have be cleared to return to their homes.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 20 2011 8:05 pm

If you zoom in on that map the fire in the flats covers some streets with quite a few homes on them. I find it strange that the media reports property destroyed but numbers "unknown"; Inciweb doesn't even mention structures destroyed. I am willing to bet it is substantial.
On a more personal note Brian has a close friend with a family ranch on the Blue---he says the southern edge of the Wallow fire is about a mile from them. Three main homes and countless corrals and outbuildings. Brian is thinking about heading that way to help out as he can. Say a prayer for everyone involved in these fires.

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli

Post by rwstorm » Jun 20 2011 8:25 pm

@RedRoxx44
guess that is one of the last areas it is still burning hot. Cross your fingers.
Onward into oblivion!

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 20 2011 9:08 pm

AZCentral reporting 14 additional homes lost and intense fire in Ramsey Canyon:
Authorities disclosed late Monday afternoon that the fire - whipped by heavy wind gusts and bone-dry conditions - burned 14 houses and four businesses Sunday. That brought to a total of roughly 60 homes, four businesses and 14 sheds and other out-buildings the fire has damaged or destroyed since it began June 12.

The greatest concentration is in Ramsey Canyon, where the fire has been burning most intensely.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... z1Psd1CFRQ
Highway to hell

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli

Post by rwstorm » Jun 20 2011 9:20 pm

chumley wrote:The greatest concentration is in Ramsey Canyon, where the fire has been burning most intensely.
This has to erroneous, since the fire maps show it hasn't reached there yet. Not only that but if the Folklore Center and Nature Conservancy properties were torched it would be big time news.
Onward into oblivion!

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 20 2011 9:43 pm

It must be near there because the report direct from Inciweb talks about it:
Structure protection will continue around the perimeter of the fire especially in Carr and Ramsey Canyon. Mop-up continues along the fire flanks of the fire and complicated indirect firefighting activities planned for the head of the fire. The Ramsey Canyon area is the most difficult piece of terrain many firefighters have ever seen.
Highway to hell

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jun 20 2011 9:54 pm

This is the hot spot map at noon http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=868
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels
teva joe