Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Willow Fire

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Jun 19 2011 7:48 pm

SAY it ain't so! Another Fire?
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Willow Fire

Post by chumley » Jun 19 2011 8:05 pm

New wildfire spotted today

A new fire sparked this afternoon in the Coconino National Forest near Bear Canyon Lake.

Reported around 1:23 p.m. Sunday, the Willow Fire is burning in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest on the Black Mesa Ranger District, about one mile north of Bear Canyon Lake on the Mogollon Rim, and is moving northeast, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

Firefighters are investigating the cause.

Structures lie one to two miles north, and the blaze was estimated to be 300 acres as of this evening.

Extreme wind conditions kept planes and helicopters from attacking the fire today, but two dozers, seven fire crews and eight engines worked to extinguish the flames.

A type two incident management team has been ordered to manage suppression efforts.
All I have to say about this is that they should retire fire names like they do hurricane names. There will only be one "Willow" fire in AZ anymore. At least I hope. There's some pretty dense ponderosa in the area of this one, and the wind is fierce. But there's also a major power line up there that could provide a solid fire break... :pray:
Profound observer

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 19 2011 8:13 pm

Upon checking the map, my guess is that it is already north of the power lines, and the structures mentioned are probably at the square mile private property of Dutch Joe Ranch. That is an area that has been heavily thinned (not just the private property), so I would think it's protectable. Interesting area, as on older maps it shows there to be a fire lookout tower there, but it definitely doesn't exist anymore. The property is nicely managed, with some very large buildings, and a couple of nice ponds connected by a "stream" with huge boulders.
Profound observer

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jun 19 2011 11:55 pm

Latest report is 500 acres:

Link w/some info from earlier today: http://paysondailybugle.blogspot.com/
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 20 2011 5:47 am

chumley wrote:All I have to say about this is that they should retire fire names like they do hurricane names. There will only be one "Willow" fire in AZ anymore. At least I hope.
Hear hear!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

haggster
City, State: Farmington, UT

Post by haggster » Jun 20 2011 7:03 am

Why would they name a fire "Willow" when there is a "Wallow" fire burning in the same state at the same time?

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 20 2011 7:46 am

And also, there was a really big fire, called the Willow Fire, in AZ just a few years ago. People remember that one!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 20 2011 9:05 pm

I was looking for news on this fire with "no news is good news" in mind... found this report which seems to confirm that they were able to attack it aggressively. Hopefully they can keep it right where it's at.
Springerville, AZ— “Despite the winds on Sunday, firefighters were able to make great progress to suppress the Willow Fire,” said Black Mesa District Ranger, Dee Hines. “Special thanks to Coconino NF, Tonto NF, Arizona Land Department-Forestry Division, for their quick initial attack response,” he added, “and thanks to Bureau of Land Management for offering backup resources on initial attack”

The fire, located about one mile north of Bear Canyon Lake, is estimated at 350-400 acres, better mapping capabilities will provide a more accurate number of acres.

Another acreage estimate will be provided later tonight. Firefighters are working on minimizing the potential threat to an APS KV powerline, as well as private lands to the north of the fire. Yesterday’s wind-driven fire activity caused the fire to spot up to ½ mile. Spots were lined-out quickly and did not pose further challenges. Firefighting resources were quickly available yesterday. On scene recources include: 2 Type I crews, 5 Type II crews, 4 dozers, and 9 engines, altogether approximately 200 fire personnel.

Fire crews will enforce their firelines today using some burnout operations.

The fire was determined to be human caused and is currently under investigation.
Profound observer

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 20 2011 9:35 pm

@chumley: sounds like good news: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_no ... llow'-fire

It reports the power lines are not yet damaged.

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 20 2011 9:37 pm

Good to hear. I haven't seen much activity on the modis hot spots. Looking at satellite images I noted there are two wide fire breaks due to the power lines. Perhaps not exactly where they need them but could be if it got bad. Certainly makes access to the area easier too. Of course as we all know the area has a maze of roads throughout too.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 20 2011 9:39 pm

Video: http://www.kfyi.com/pages/broomhead.htm ... le=8731880

Looks like mostly a duff clearing fire, which is actually a good thing. (would be easier to manage at another time though)

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 20 2011 9:44 pm

Fire map attached. Bear Canyon lake and trails are closed.
Attachments
pict-20110620-233440-0.jpeg
Profound observer

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 21 2011 7:24 pm

A map that is a little clearer where the closures are can be found at:
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews ... .image.jpg

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 21 2011 7:40 pm

Yet more closures:

Additional closures have been enacted today, to take effect on Thursday, the 23rd for the Black Mesa District. A map of the closure can be found here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 310434.pdf

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 21 2011 10:52 pm

This one looks to be in the bag.
Size: 213 acres, 20% contained.
100% Containment expected by midnight June 23rd.
Profound observer

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 26 2011 10:18 pm

Hmmm, campfire ban, smoking ban, firearm discharge ban.

What do I observe while out this weekend:

campfires
smokers
firearm practice

I guess the citizens of this state just aren't all that bright, and the Forest Service appears not to be able to enforce squat. (Though a forest service vehicle did actually pull into my campsite Sat night to remind me of the campfire ban.)

Let's not cry about all the forthcoming fires, the people who use the forests seem intent on ensuring its destruction.

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Jun 27 2011 5:55 pm

nonot wrote:Hmmm, campfire ban, smoking ban, firearm discharge ban.

What do I observe while out this weekend:

campfires
smokers
firearm practice

I guess the citizens of this state just aren't all that bright, and the Forest Service appears not to be able to enforce squat. (Though a forest service vehicle did actually pull into my campsite Sat night to remind me of the campfire ban.)

Let's not cry about all the forthcoming fires, the people who use the forests seem intent on ensuring its destruction.
And just think about this........4th of July weekend with all those YAHOOS and their now legal fireworks. I wonder how many more fires will start? :-k
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 28 2011 10:33 am

Oh, well, it all has to burn sometime, may as well get it over with this year...

Just kidding...

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 28 2011 10:50 am

azbackpackr wrote:Oh, well, it all has to burn sometime, may as well get it over with this year...
You may be onto something. It seems like north-central Arizona isn't the tinderbox that eastern and southern Arizona are. The Willow, Durfee, and Wash fires were all contained in short order. Willow and Wash especially had to deal with very windy and dry conditions, making me think that fuel condition might not be as bad along the Rim as one might think.

This could also be supported by the fact that those areas of the A-S and Coconino forests are not closed (yet).
Profound observer

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jun 28 2011 11:13 am

chumley wrote:This could also be supported by the fact that those areas of the A-S and Coconino forests are not closed (yet).
Continued rising temperatures, extemely dry forests, current wildfires on the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest, and the forecast of possible dry-lightning in the area this week has prompted officials of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests to impose additional Forest Closures.

Black Mesa District Ranger Dee Hines reported at a community of near 300 people Saturday night in Heber, “We will be closing the rest of the Black Mesa District, but have decided to keep some manageable areas open.” He added, “I need to stress that closures mean closures to all public. If private lands border “closed” national forest land, access is still prohibited.”

Closed to public access: All national forest system lands, roads and trails as they currently exist within the administrative boundaries of the Black Mesa Ranger District.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 312100.pdf
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”