Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Willow Fire

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Jun 19 2011 7:48 pm

SAY it ain't so! Another Fire?
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Willow Fire

Post by chumley » Jun 28 2011 12:59 pm

Wow. Could they possibly make it any more confusing?
Profound observer

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jun 28 2011 1:02 pm

chumley wrote:Wow. Could they possibly make it any more confusing?
:lol: Well it is the USFS we are talking about. Confusion is the name of the game.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jun 28 2011 1:05 pm

Well at least the maps help show where the areas that are open are....
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jun 28 2011 2:41 pm

i wanna be a valley weather man!

"its gonna be hot and sunny. for like 4 months"

details in October. :sl:
:D

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jun 28 2011 7:44 pm

Man, this is ultra confusing because it contradicts their earlier closure notice.

For those wondering, the western edge of the closure appears to run from 260 along the rim rd to west leonard canyon, north along west leonard canyon, along leonard canyon to east clear creek, and along east clear creek to just shy of sand draw, where it stairsteps east along no mans land, to include the hikable part of chevelon canyon.

This means Buck Canyon and the cabin loop are not affected by the closure, but is restricted in that you cannot drive in from the east side.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 28 2011 8:04 pm

Nonot, I think you're making it more confusing that it naturally is. While I think your description is mostly accurate, it's a lot easier to just say "the boundary between the A-SNF and the Coconino NF" (A-S is closed, Coconino is still open).

Knoll Lake/Leonard Canyon makes the border between the two forests. Therefore, Knoll Lake is open, though the east shore of the lake is closed. As you stated, access to this area must come from the west as FR300 is closed at Woods Canyon Lake coming from the east.

The confusion is with the exceptions around the Rim Lakes that are still open.
Profound observer

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 28 2011 9:39 pm

chumley wrote:Nonot, I think you're making it more confusing that it naturally is. While I think your description is mostly accurate, it's a lot easier to just say "the boundary between the A-SNF and the Coconino NF" (A-S is closed, Coconino is still open).
Yes, because it is obvious to everyone where that boundary is, I mean you can just go to the A-S website and find a map that clearly shows the boundaries of A-S...oh wait...you can't. But their closure map will clearly identify the closure boundaries...except their map for this closure has almost no points of reference whatsover...so...that sucks...but

I'll find a useful description of the A-S boundary, google to the rescue...hmmm...nope, no useful matches.

The mytopo layer from mapdex identifies the "indefinite boundary for the western edge of Black Mesa/eastern edge of blue ridge. As you say, it runs right through knoll lake, not along the western branch of leonard canyon.

But hey, A-S's website is recommending I go hike Escudilla, so at least I got something out of this meaningless exercise:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... Recreation

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 28 2011 10:31 pm

Zoom out to the plain old "map" layer. The green is ASNF. (South of the rim, it's the Tonto NF).
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=875
Profound observer

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 28 2011 10:53 pm

for anyone ever in need of finding boundaries you can type names of forest/wilderness/nps into the search box on MapDEX and find them
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=878
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Paintninaz

Post by Paintninaz » Jun 29 2011 9:50 am

joe bartels wrote:for anyone ever in need of finding boundaries you can type names of forest/wilderness/nps into the search box on MapDEX and find them
What a cool feature!! The capabilities of this site never cease to amaze me! :thanx:
Paintninaz

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Jun 29 2011 2:23 pm

joe bartels wrote:for anyone ever in need of finding boundaries you can type names of forest/wilderness/nps into the search box on MapDEX and find them
Do you happen to have everything broke down in the ranger districts?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 29 2011 2:43 pm

it's not available on a national basis last I checked

Not sure they'll be doing that either but maybe. Used to have districts for AZ. When I dug into the GIS files this year I was excited to see they went national yet in the same breath noticed they ripped out the districts. Perhaps in other states they change to much.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jun 30 2011 12:29 pm

I just wonder how many people will be going up to camp on the rim and not check out the situation before they get up there and find no camping.....at least on the Willow Springs/Woods Canyon side of the Rim and along the Young road which are very popular spots on holiday weekends...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 12 2011 8:25 pm

Fire restrictions on the Coconino and Kaibab National Forests were lifted at 8 a.m. on July 12th. Please be careful with fire.

The fire danger is " High" - Industrial Plan: A - Preparedness Level III

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”