The Galiuros are burning

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

The Galiuros are burning

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 19 2014 5:47 pm

Oak fire, around China Peak, at about 800+ acres. I was told a long time ago by a guy who used to manage the air tankers for the western US that the management plan was to let it burn. This was a lightning start. Probably will not suppress it unless it gets into some rancher land in the foothills. Sad, but fire is a part of the ecosystem so will wait to see what this brings, something positive I hope.

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: The Galiuros are burning

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jun 19 2014 6:45 pm

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jun 19 2014 7:02 pm

There's going to be a lot of fire this summer. Hard to believe fireworks are legal in this state, given the severe conditions ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 19 2014 7:26 pm

While there's another 2-3 weeks before monsoon moisture eases things, I personally think it has been a very mild fire season. Acreage wise, if you take out the big fire on the San Carlos that they let burn on purpose, it's been one of the least active fire seasons I can remember. So far...
Profound observer

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jun 19 2014 9:18 pm

chumley wrote:While there's another 2-3 weeks before monsoon moisture eases things, I personally think it has been a very mild fire season. Acreage wise, if you take out the big fire on the San Carlos that they let burn on purpose, it's been one of the least active fire seasons I can remember. So far...
Agreed, Todd. Aggressive campfire restrictions beginning in April was a factor, I think, but I wonder what else? Surely the general population can't be getting any less stupid, can they?
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Jun 19 2014 9:24 pm

A lot are human caused but some are natural. My heartbreak - Willow - was natural. :|

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 19 2014 9:33 pm

@chumley
You think that maybe the Gazillion Signs that are up this Year may have actually had something to do with it??? I can't see how anybody could not have a Clue.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jun 19 2014 9:42 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:I can't see how anybody could not have a Clue....
Tell that to the idiot(s) who started the Slide fire... Why on EARTH would anyone need a fire in the middle of the day just north of Slide Rock? To cook their friggin' hot dogs?
That being said, who knows what caused the Slide Fire, it seems odd that we haven't heard about any conclusions regarding the cause?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jun 19 2014 9:47 pm

@paulhubbard
I'm willing to bet that the Slide Fire was causing by somebody smoking. Either a cigarette, or something else. Seems way more likely than a campfire given the location...
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 19 2014 10:44 pm

Signs or not, stupid people, or people who make calculated decisions to burn despite the ban ... I think that the fire danger has been overstated this year.

Perhaps that's the way it should be every year if it helps prevent catastrophic fires.

But quite simply, it hasn't been as dry as advertised. When a fire can start near Woods Canyon Lake and be contained in a couple of days, it is clear that conditions are not that bad. That area is primed to torch. A fire in Sandy's Canyon was suppressed quickly. Even the Slide fire was quite small ... its proximity to high-value real estate made it a news story, but it wasn't a large or devastating fire by any normal comparison.

It might be that we have dodged the bullets of low humidity and high winds with the fires we've had so far? Wallow was unstoppable because of high winds. Rodeo-Chediski was unstoppable because of unprecedented dry fuels. This year, everything seems to have been reasonably controllable. Let's hope that trend continues. There are several more weeks of the hottest and driest conditions we will see yet. It helps that there are no major fires burning which frees up resources to quickly suppress anything that does start.

I hope it stays that way.
Profound observer

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jun 19 2014 11:24 pm

The fire danger is probably not over stated this year, as fuel loads of fine fuels are up from a wet summer last year, and by this time the fuels are very dry. I don't know what live fuels are like, but with the dry winter, they are dry too. Mostly, temps seem low, and it doesn't seem windy. Eventually, you just have fewer places to burn.
Rocks!!

RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 20 2014 4:28 am

When the newsies put up the drought maps the Galiuros are in the "extreme drought" zone. Since Jan measurable moisture in Tuscon is .61, where I am we have not had more than a sprinkle since Dec of 13. Southern az is pretty dry I would say. Since it is an 'upside down" range the fire could help clear some manzanita and brush. The big pine trees are down in the drainages, so hopefully the riparian canopy will escape most of it, depending on the fire behavior.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jun 20 2014 5:28 am

@paulhubbard Plus, hot dogs can be eaten cold. (I ate a lot of wierd things when I was a kid ...)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jun 20 2014 5:39 am

kingsnake wrote:hot dogs can be eaten cold.
:yuck: :out:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 20 2014 5:52 pm

I am much too curious--gonna get up early and head up and try to drive in at Deer Creek TH and see what I can see, maybe hike in a bit before it's too roasting. No closures are posted yet, so will see if I am able to get close.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 20 2014 7:38 pm

I'll stay tuned. I haven't seen enough of the western side yet.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jun 20 2014 9:01 pm

Let us know what you find. Stay safe!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jun 21 2014 3:42 pm

I was in Aravaipa yesterday and this morning, and did not see smoke anywhere. I talked to a couple of TNC guys who had no idea there was a fire, and had not seen smoke either. So, while 2600+ acres is pretty healthy, it was not very noticeable ...

Sredfield

Post by Sredfield » Jun 21 2014 4:55 pm

If it's a healthy, low slow fire maybe there wouldn't be a bunch of smoke?
Shawn

Sredfield

Post by Sredfield » Jun 25 2014 12:52 pm

From Mt Lemmon today the fire looks to have taken off. Huge smoke plume from a wide base. Plume is changing size and shape rapidly which suggests to this lay person lots of heat. I suspect it is burning more than brush and grass now.
Shawn

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”