The Galiuros are burning

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

The Galiuros are burning

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 19 2014 5:47 pm

Oak fire, around China Peak, at about 800+ acres. I was told a long time ago by a guy who used to manage the air tankers for the western US that the management plan was to let it burn. This was a lightning start. Probably will not suppress it unless it gets into some rancher land in the foothills. Sad, but fire is a part of the ecosystem so will wait to see what this brings, something positive I hope.

RedRoxx44

Re: The Galiuros are burning

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jul 09 2014 5:42 pm

Difference between forest managers---from inciweb on a new fire on the Kaibab--

"With recent deep moisture, we feel confident in a quick transition from extreme fire danger and the associated full suppression fire management strategies to managing natural fire to benefit our resources” says District Fire Management Officer, James Pettit. Resource benefit fires are managed for multiple objectives including reducing accumulated forest litter and fuels, maintaining fire in a fire-adapted ecosystem, increasing firefighter and public safety, and protecting cultural resources and wildlife habitat.

While varying monsoonal precipitation and winds are likely to change fire behavior and growth over the next several days, general fire behavior is anticipated to be low intensity with 6-12 inch flame lengths. Reported fire behavior includes creeping, smoldering, and backing fire."

The first four words above is what would have made all my points moot in the start and maintenance of the Oak Fire.

Just had to throw that in, I'm done and as I said I report back in for the majority who don't care on the other part of the FOIA project.

RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 » Sep 09 2014 6:16 pm

http://hikearizona.com/photoset=31650

Don't get excited just linking info with thread. One interesting note, letter to editor in todays Arizona Daily Star by possibly the owner at Deer Creek Ranch. A kindred spirit.

RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 24 2014 6:15 pm

The FOIA dept has responded and wants me to pay at least $5,100.00 for the records request I have made on the Oak Fire with no guarantee of results. They acknowledge that most of what I want is obtainable, but would require many, many hours to complete. So, I will probably modify my request, look at other options, or I might just pay it. I am wagering they are hoping there is no way I would spend that kind of money.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 24 2014 8:03 pm

You could camp out in their offices and read it in place. The more precise you are in the request, case file, correspondence etc. the easier it will be for someone to hand it to you. Much of the cost/time is copying.

Just a thought.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Nov 25 2014 6:35 am

I would also recommend that you review in the office, you may find that some documents have been redacted. Your FOIA is limited in scope to your request, and you may note during a review of these documents that you may need to request (a formal FOIA) these additional documents. When reviewing the documents, take note of any file codes, page numbers etc. this could help in researching your subject.

For background you wish to review management plans, operations plans, readiness plans you may note that operations plans did not or could not meet management plants due to readiness and resource availability and funding allocation.
jk

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”