The Pothole Fire - Closures at West Clear Creek

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

The Pothole Fire - Closures at West Clear Creek

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 21 2014 3:11 pm

Ok, here's a New One...But you won't find anything about it on any Websites including Inciweb and Coconino FS...I found out about it on another Site, (not to be named on here) when someone Commented on one of my Photos...Apparently, they had gone up to WCC to do Bear and Sundance Canyons last Friday and found the Roads Closed due to a "managed" Lightning Fire...Apparently there was more than one Fire, but they kind of Merged and so they are considering it One Incident, called the Pothole Fire....

This was not a "Rumor" as it came from someone who was physically there and witnessed it, but since it was Second-Hand Information, I pulled a "chumley" and called the Mogollon Ranger District for Coconino NF and confirmed...The Gal (who btw, is a HAZER, thanks Amelia!) was even nice enough to send me a Map.... :) Even though the Fire is on the South Rim of WCC, the Closure is pretty wide because apparently Smoke has become a Big Issue and is filling up the Canyon...Because of the Smoke Issue, the Crews are accelerating the Fire behavior in an attempt to accomplish what they were trying to achieve and hope to be at a Conclusion within a Week from now....Since this is not Posted anywhere where you can check it's "Status", it is recommended that you call the Ranger District beforehand, before heading up there....

Coconino National Forest - Mogollon Rim Ranger District 928-477-2255

Our Canyon Crew ran into something very similar to this Last Year, about this same time, so apparently it is very common for the FS to use Mother Nature to their advantage and basically "let it burn" for awhile in this area....

FR's 142E and 142F are currently Closed for sure among others, which directly impacts Point Trail, Bear, Sundance and Shamrock Canyons....Here is the Maps showing the Complete Closure Area....
Pothole Fire Closure Area.pdf
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Re: The Pothole Fire - Closures at West Clear Creek

Post by toddak » Jul 21 2014 6:06 pm

Closures are a pain, but I'm glad to see that they seem to be managing this area carefully. A few years back I was hiking out after a couple days in the canyon and saw this huge smoke plume as I neared the rim, and I feared my car was in danger of being torched in a wildfire. But it was a controlled burn, much smaller and further away than it looked. So props to the land managers - an uncontrolled fire anywhere in WCC Wilderness would be a major bummer!
Attachments
IMG_3446x.jpg

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jul 21 2014 6:17 pm

Is that the one caused by the plane crash?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... izona.html
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Jul 21 2014 6:31 pm

No this one started last Thursday or earlier. It's included in Kyle's post on the "2014 Fire Season" page.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 21 2014 9:16 pm

@kingsnake@mazatzal
Actually, the one that Kyle was talking about is the General Fire, which is located near the Cabin Loop on the other side of Payson...I'll bet that Ken, Mike and I saw the start of the Pothole Fire on July 12 when we came out of WCC after doing Avocado Canyon....The Canyon was really filling up with Smoke on our Ascent out.... http://hikearizona.com/trip=105673
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 21 2014 10:42 pm

@Outdoor Lover

My original post included info on the Willard Fire, Bar M Fire, Pothole Fire, and the General Fire. I have to help make up for Chumley's limited presence until he's back in the country. He's only able to check HAZ twenty times a day right now :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 22 2014 1:18 am

@Tough_Boots
Thank you for covering for me. I really like these middle-of-the-night posts now. Plus I get to read all the spam from Thailand before it gets deleted. :)
Profound observer

ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Jul 22 2014 10:51 am

That sucks! My 2013 August trip was thwarted by the Egypt fire there. Ugh... Calloway and the Gardens will likely be that much more crowded now...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 22 2014 5:57 pm

7/22/14 update through Blue Ridge Ranger Station:

"Pot Hole Fire:

Size – 2200 acres
Smoke – Smoke should lessen over the next few days, and moisture is predicted to return the middle of this week and into the weekend. The fire still has the potential to grow because of the steep and rugged terrain of the West Clear Creek Wilderness.
Fire Behavior – 1-2 foot flame heights, and is moving across the forest floor. There had been some isolated torching, which is natural and expected. Fire burned within the perimeters that crews stabilized over the last several days.
Closures – Forest Road 142F and 142E, as well as the Tramway, and Maxwell Trails leading into West Clear Creek Wilderness are temporarily closed for public safety.
Remarks - Crews will continue to patrol and work on any hazards so the area can be opened back up for public use.

Fire managers are very pleased with the effects of both (also The General) fires, primarily burning a lot of dry debris on the forest floor. They are also pleased with how quickly the burning progressed once things dried out. This was a low-severity fire leaving less fuel that could contribute to severe fire behavior and safer conditions for the public and firefighters."
Pot Hole Fire Map at 07.22.2014.pdf
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 22 2014 11:39 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:My original post included info on the Willard Fire, Bar M Fire, Pothole Fire, and the General Fire.
This was pointed out to me after I posted.... :lol: For some reason I wasn't associating it with WCC.... :doh:
ALMAL wrote:My 2013 August trip was thwarted by the Egypt fire there.
I remember...We were the ones that told you about it since we had gone up there expecting to do a Canyon (after not paying attention to the Posts from a couple of days before) and it was all closed...It was such a Big Closure that there were no other options really and we ended up doing CC Gorge on the other side of Payson instead...We got a lot of Driving in that day.... :sweat:

Hopefully the Closures will be lifted within the next couple of Weeks...I still have Plans in there.... ;)

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 23 2014 9:09 am

7/23 update through Blue Ridge Ranger Station:

"POT HOLE – Crews will continue to stabilize the perimeter lines of the fire. There was not much activity on the fire yesterday or last night, and the Pot Hole fire is not producing much smoke at all, much less than the General fire. Plans for today are to continue snagging, and mopping up."
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 28 2014 11:09 am

The General, Pot Hole and Island fires received quite a bit of rain, fire activity is VERY low. Closures for the Pot Hole have been lifted, Tramway and Maxwell trails.
-Blue Ridge Ranger Station
Profound observer

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”