Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Battle Fire - Closures at Blue Ridge Reservoir

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 22 2014 5:18 pm

as of 7/22/14:
Blue Ridge Ranger Station wrote:A new fire was reported at approximately 12:30 pm today. It is located at Blue Ridge Reservoir and is currently 10-15 acres in size. The fire is human caused and will be fully contained. Currently we have a Type 1 Hand Crew (Hotshot Crew), 2 engines, 1 heavy helicopter, and 15 more firefighters have been ordered. The fire is located on the other side of the reservoir from the boat ramp, near the Bear Canyon fork. A boat is being utilized to shuttle firefighters to the other side of the reservoir, and the boat ramp is currently closed. Access from the other side of the reservoir is being closed near Forest Road 123.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Re: Battle Fire - Closures at Blue Ridge Reservoir

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 22 2014 5:37 pm

Thought I heard slurry bombers overhead today in Payson, assigned to this fire ? Was camping at Blue Ridge last week an had light smoke. Also had light smoke in Payson today and hope this fire is fully contained and extinguished by next week.
jk

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 23 2014 9:04 am

7/23 update through Blue Ridge Ranger Station:

"BATTLE – The Battle fire is contained, and the Blue Ridge Hotshots will begin mop up procedures throughout the course of the day today. The fire is estimated to be 5-10 to acres, and access to Blue Ridge Reservoir, this is includes the boat ramp, will remain closed for the remainder of the day today, July 23, 2014."

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 23 2014 11:27 am

Thank you for the updates, was at the Payson airport yesterday and the assigned helicopters and support equipment have been removed. Did not note any smoke yesterday afternoon at all along the Rim, North of Payson.
jk

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 23 2014 5:34 pm

I was evacuated from that fire! I was paddling my kayak, and paddled right past it. Watched a small fir tree torch up. It was in the morning. I naturally assumed it was part of the smoke I'd experienced in camp at Rock Crossing. All were evacuated from the lake. I have a lot of photos of the Sikorsky Sky Crane helicopter, and the hot shot crew arriving at the boat ramp, etc. etc. They were taken by boat to the fire.

Triplog and photos to come!

There was quite a large group of young teens swimming and canoeing in an area not far away, but on the other shore of the lake. It took quite a bit of time to get them all out of there!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 23 2014 6:20 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I was evacuated from that fire! I was paddling my kayak ...
At least you weren't scooped up in a bucket and dropped into the flames. :D

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 25 2014 10:40 am

Fire Closure wrote:as of 7/25/14:
Blue Ridge Ranger Station wrote:The boat ramp at Blue Ridge Reservoir was re-opened yesterday at noon. So life at the reservoir is back to normal after the Battle fire. The final size on the Battle fire is 9-10 acres and is fully contained. It is a human caused fire and is currently under investigation. The current water level at the Reservoir is at 25%.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2014 2:04 pm

I'll post my triplog and photos right now.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2014 2:45 pm

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 25 2014 4:36 pm

I think that if I decided to kayak through an area that I knew was on fire and then got evacuated off the water, I might keep it to myself :sl:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jul 25 2014 5:00 pm

@Tough_Boots
Well in AZ back packer's defense they also had to evacuate the high school kids partying on the other side of the lake, one can't expect adolescents to make sound decisions in those instances their brains just don't think the same way as us, silly kids playing on a lake surrounded by fire ;)

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2014 5:07 pm

Well, the fact is, no one knew a thing about any fire by the lake. There was already so much smoke in the air from the managed fire (it was bad all night at Rock Crossing Campground) there was no way to tell there was NEW smoke. I came around a bend and there was the fire. I probably saw it before it was reported, but it was already quite a few acres in size, from what I could see. I just naturally assumed it was part of the managed fire. I really didn't know where the managed fire was, to tell you the truth. I just knew it was very smoky around there when I arrived on Monday night. But this Battle fire didn't start until Tuesday morning, apparently.

If you haven't been to this lake it's hard to describe. You are way down in a hole, and it bends very frequently. You don't know what is around the next bend.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jul 25 2014 5:28 pm

@azbackpackr
Well jokes aside you made it out safely which is what matters..

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2014 6:13 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:@azbackpackr
Well jokes aside you made it out safely which is what matters..
Well, thank you. But truth to tell, it was never actually dangerous. I suppose it could have become dangerous, eventually, though. One of the rangers said they wanted us out of there mainly because of the danger of being near the helicopter. She said to me, "They do crash sometimes, you know."

Gee, I didn't know that.

Return to “Fire & Area Closures”