Bark beetle trees

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
Diane Tuccillo

Bark beetle trees

Post by Diane Tuccillo » Oct 01 2003 9:35 pm

I am very surprised that there is no discussion about the terrible bark beetle situation in Arizona. Maybe you all have been there, done that, as I have not posted in a while. Anyway, the forests are dying before our eyes. Have you noticed how many more trees have bitten the dust in the last month? At the rate the trees are dying, there will be no forests to speak of in the next few years. You think the fires we have had were bad? They were nothing compared to this. Head up north and take a look. Check out the Pine and Strawberry areas. Take a look at Kohl's Ranch and Lynx Lake, and the 260 Trailhead area, to name a few places. Check some of the web sites about the bark beetle epidemic in Arizona. It is frightening, truly an epidemic, with no relief in sight. I think we are going to see our high country dramatically altered before our eyes in the coming years, and there is really nothing anyone can do about it. I know, some of you will say this is nature taking its course, which it is. But I also think that man's intrusion in nature is the actual root cause.
jersey girl

overrocked
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Bark beetle trees

Post by overrocked » Oct 02 2003 10:05 am

In response to Diane Tuccillo's reply: Yes, I have seen the damage. And it is terrible to behold. I always thought it was the prolonged drought that caused the bark beetles to take hold. Once a tree's resistance is down, the bark beetles can take over. I think we have the drought to blame for the beetles, and clear cut logging to blame for not having old stand forest. I haven't seen any mature aged Pondersosa Pine anywhere from here to the NM border. COULD be becuase there's always a fire before the tree is fully mature. hmmmm

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Oct 02 2003 10:56 am

I have seen the damage on the rim from the beetles. From what I've seen and heard it is a direct result from the drought. The trees use sap to defend against the beetles and with the lack of moisture they don't have enough sap to fight the beetles and stay alive. Nowhere have I seen a plan to fight the beetles. Besides, what would you do? I don't want to see them spraying the forest. That would be catastrophic to the ecosystem. Cutting down dead or dying trees would just tear up the surrounding land and not stop the beetles from moving on to healthy trees. Perhaps Earth First can take a constructive step by suggesting an economical and effective way to safe the forests from the beetles. I don't know the answer to the problem. I do know where to look though. There must be an entimologist who knows the life cycle of the bark beetle. He/She could tell us the best way to fight the beetle. Then it's up to us to see if it's worth the cost.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Oct 02 2003 8:23 pm

Yes, I see the forest in and around Prescott dead or dying. Most are standing skeletons of their former self, or cut down, blown down, or burned down. The last time I thought heavy on this was Labor Day while hiking in the Bradshaw and I looked hard at the mountains around, imagining them nude in my life time.
Nature is at play here with the drought and the bark beetles, and I think about Arizona's pre-history. Of the early Native Americans; the Sinagua and the Salado's, and our own Prescott Culture. Archeologist do not really know why many left there homes in and around the middle of 1200 A.D., hostility among other tribes is mention, as well as, a drought during that period. I can look at the Fitz-Maurice Ruins in Prescott Valley, just on the other side of Lynx Creek, and imagine the surface water drying up because of the drought, their only source of water, forcing them to leave and move on.
However, I do think we have a hand in this too. I think everything we are witnessing in our forest has finally reached up and bit us in the behind because of what we did in the past. Today, nature is harsh and we see the results with the bark beetles, the drought, and I would submit to all, our forest not thin enough. Taking away the fire. To many trees in one acre, fighting for every drop of water in the ground.
Frankly, I cannot even suggest an idea on how to stop this problem that has not been discussed by those who are the experts. Except, pray for more rain.

Glitter
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Glitter » Oct 02 2003 10:44 pm

I was camping on the rim a couple of weeks ago and it just amazes me what an effect these beetles have had on the forest. Along with the fires and drought the future looks bleak, but I can only hope the trees will bounce back.
Keep on truckin'
-Chris

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

bark beetle

Post by pfredricks » Oct 03 2003 12:08 pm

IN Crown King the forest service reported that 95% of the trees are dead as of last year, and supposedly a major effort will be launched or is already in effect to remove them. THat will make the top of the bradshaws a desert mountain top. That is a shame because that is a gorgeous area.
-Pete
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

Return to “Flora”