Aspens

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azrocks

Aspens

Post by azrocks » Oct 09 2003 1:27 pm

I heard this might be the best weekend to visit Flag for the aspens.
Can anyone confirm that, or say where they are at their best ?

Marc LaBelle
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Aspens

Post by Marc LaBelle » Oct 09 2003 3:15 pm

In response to azrocks' reply:

I WAS TOLD THE SAME, AND THAT NEXT WEEKEND SHOULD BE JUST AS GOOD.

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Oct 09 2003 5:53 pm

Good timing I'm going up there saturday for some day hiking.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Glitter
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Glitter » Oct 10 2003 8:28 am

Last year it was the same couple of weeks. I will be up there next weekend for a couple of hikes. :D
Keep on truckin'
-Chris

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Oct 10 2003 12:09 pm

We were up on the north rim last weekend and drove past flag. I think that they are earlier this year. The ones on the north rim are normally just peaking las weekend. But alot of the trees had already lost their leaves. And in some of the lower elevations they were okay but not as good as the past seasons. Also the ones lower on the Peaks were already yellow and they normally aren't changing yet....
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Oct 10 2003 12:12 pm

Also a friend that drives to Showlow says the ones on the Rim up there and in her yard are just going from green to yellow to brown with out staying yellow inbetween. There are quite a few of them already bare there...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

tempe8
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by tempe8 » Oct 11 2003 1:45 pm

I was on the North Rim yesterday and the aspens are truly beautiful right now...lots of color.

Randy
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Randy » Oct 11 2003 10:10 pm

Just got back from Hart Prairie area. Only 20% turned, but looks as though many higher up are turned and those over 10k may be down. Doesn't look like a spectacular year for some reason.

GeorgAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Sedona color

Post by GeorgAZ » Oct 13 2003 7:10 am

The Ranger at the Sedona statioon said it might not be a good year due to the heat. Leaves in the Upper end of West Fork just starting also.

MtnGeek
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by MtnGeek » Oct 14 2003 3:48 pm

The third week of September I went to Colorado just west of Lake City and the Colors were at its peak. It was strange, some trees had already lost there leaves, some were barly turning and most were at there peak. It could not have been a better time to go and hike a few 14ers.
Mountains are there to be hiked!

cr8z3d

Aspen's in Flag

Post by cr8z3d » Jul 19 2005 1:05 pm

Anybody have an idea about when the Aspen leaves turned colors in Fall '04? I'm trying to make the best forecast for this fall for my camping trip. Any thoughts would be helpful...thanks!
Set your bar higher.

- Jay

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 19 2005 7:40 pm

Hey Jay,

It's pretty dependant on the first freeze. Other factors include when that freeze occurs and if it's a deep or subtle freeze. For the general Flagstaff area you have a window of opportunity between the last week of September through about Oct 20th at the latest. What your hoping for is a subtle freeze before the 10thish. If it's past that or a hard freeze the leaves cycle in a flash.

Personally I'd recommend the rim country around Chevelon or Bear lakes. There's more reds! and the duration isn't so hit and miss.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cr8z3d

Aspens

Post by cr8z3d » Jul 19 2005 10:29 pm

In response to joe bartels' reply:
Thanks Joe...

Historically i've done it around that time that you had suggested...nice to know that I was doing the trip in the right timeframe, late September to Mid-October. But I do agree...Flagstaff, specifically around Hart Prairie where i go every year is either hit or miss with the leaves and the frigid air.

I will definately check out some country around Chevelon and Bear Lakes and keep that in mind as well.

Kudos to you!

J
Set your bar higher.

- Jay

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 19 2005 11:03 pm

ahh, I found the link I was looking for from the FS
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/misc/ ... leaves.htm

they state crisp nights "without-freezing" :wink:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Flora”