Found a great website for flora & fauna identifications

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Post Reply
User avatar
Al_HikesAZ
Posts: 1348
Joined: May 16 2005 1:01 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Found a great website for flora & fauna identifications

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Sep 24 2006 3:44 pm

I've been identifying the old-fashioned way - memory and books - and then confirming with google images.

I found this website today and it looks great: http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/index.asp

Go to the advanced search function and fill in the forms.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/sear ... GroupID=11

Give it a try. If you make the first attempt at labelling your photo, it will make it easier for the Flora administrators and your photo is more likely to get posted.

User avatar
NatSoup
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 26 2009 8:23 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Found a great website for flora & fauna identifications

Post by NatSoup » Feb 12 2009 11:00 pm

I wanted to ask for a bit of clarification. In your previous post, you said:
Al_HikesAZ wrote: If you make the first attempt at labelling your photo, it will make it easier for the Flora administrators and your photo is more likely to get posted.
My question is: were you referring to the Enature site administrators? or the hike arizona administrators?

I have a goal to become more knowledgeable about wild edibles in the desert!
Pack Well,
Natalie

User avatar
Al_HikesAZ
Posts: 1348
Joined: May 16 2005 1:01 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Found a great website for flora & fauna identifications

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 13 2009 7:14 am

NatSoup wrote:. . . were you referring to the Enature site administrators? or the hike arizona administrators?
I have a goal to become more knowledgeable about wild edibles in the desert!
I was referring to the HAZ Administrators.

Check out Wendy Hodgson's book "Food Plants of the Sonoran Desert". I think she is still a curator at the Desert Botanical Garden.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

User avatar
NatSoup
Posts: 15
Joined: Jan 26 2009 8:23 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Found a great website for flora & fauna identifications

Post by NatSoup » Feb 16 2009 2:57 pm

Yessssssss ! ! ! Thank you Al Hikes AZ, I'm excited about this lead
Al_HikesAZ wrote:Check out Wendy Hodgson's book "Food Plants of the Sonoran Desert"
I've browsed bookshelves and found books that just don't 'hit the mark' Even though they include info about plants & edibles, I haven't gotten much from them (too confusing or not applicable, etc)

I'll check this one out, I hope it helps :-)
Pack Well,
Natalie

User avatar
Grasshopper
Posts: 1645
Joined: Dec 28 2006 5:06 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Found a great website for flora & fauna identifications

Post by Grasshopper » Feb 16 2009 3:13 pm

NatSoup wrote:Yessssssss ! ! ! Thank you Al Hikes AZ, I'm excited about this lead
Al_HikesAZ wrote:
Check out Wendy Hodgson's book "Food Plants of the Sonoran Desert"
Some old, "over the hill" Als you can't always believe, but our 97 year old AL you always can! :D
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Post Reply

Return to “Flora”


cron