Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

[ How to: ] Link Photos to Flora & Fauna

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 15 2007 10:50 pm

If you can identify flora or fauna in a photo, here is how you link it to the species.

While viewing any photo: Under the photo you will see...
You can link photos Alphabetically or by Category

In the Alphabetical Index (for instance)
Click on letter for the species and click to the right of the Drop Down Box. Scroll down the section to the species, click on it then click on the Proceed button. Then click on the Add Button and it will be associated.

Joe geotags the photo which associates it with the trail on which it was shot. If you go to the trail and look in the middle right side of the description for the Flora & Fauna Sections, you will see that the photo has been associated with this trail. When you click on the Species description, you will see our attempts at describing it. When you click on the little camera you will see the "Detail photo", a photo that an administer felt best represents the species, when you click on the map association, you will see all hikes on which this species has been identified.

If you don't know the identification but would like to have the photo identified, post it to the Unidentified Species and hopefully someone will know what it is.

HikeArizona is becoming better, but more complicated at the same time. Flora & Fauna can be found alphabetically. If you click on the letter and scroll down to the bottom of the first page under that letter you will find the species. At the top left of each Section is a Drop Down Box that lets you filter the Section for your interests.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not if we can help it.

NatSoup
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: [ How to: ] Link Photos to Flora & Fauna

Post by NatSoup » Feb 12 2009 10:48 pm

Hi, I was wondering about Holocantha. (I posted a new topic too, but I wanted to also ask my question here.)

Let me know what you think about adding it to the flora, thanks ! ! ! ! ! YOU GUYS ROCK!
Pack Well,
Natalie

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 13 2009 7:31 am

NatSoup wrote:Hi, I was wondering about Holocantha. (I posted a new topic too, but I wanted to also ask my question here.)

Let me know what you think about adding it to the flora, thanks ! ! ! ! ! YOU GUYS ROCK!
I think the problem here is that several shrubs are referred to as Crucifixion Thorn.

Are you referring to Crucifixion thorn "Canotia holacantha Torr." which is listed under Canotia. It is the species most commonly called "Crucifixion Thorn". I hadn't heard it called Holocantha but I do see that Stan Tekiela in "Trees of Arizona" shows that it is sometimes called Holocantha or Chaparro Amargosa.

I may be mistaken, but I understood that "Holocantha emoryi" in the family Simaroubaceae was now properly referred to as Castela emoryi and called Emory Crucifixion Thorn. I know that Kearney & Peebles in Arizona Flora on page 495 refer to Holocantha, but the book was published in 1951 and some of the taxonomy has changed.

Provide me with a reference and I can add it. I'm not sure how rigorous DesertUSA is. They refer to quassia as a family instead of a genus of Family Simaroubaceae

We faced some dilemmas and decisions when we set up the flora and fauna sections between scholasticism and practicality - clarity and confusion if you will. We are hikers not botanists. At first we did not even show the Latin names, but since several plants have the same common name, Joe linked the Latin names into the indices. You will notice that we have "master files" for agave and century plant because of confusion.

We are taking your suggestion under advisement. I'm not sure if we can decide this at our next Flora Section Executive Committee meeting or if we need a meeting of the whole Flora Section committee. It has been hard to get a quorom at our Committee meetings since Joe cut our budget and we had to change venue from Trader Vic's to Taco Bell.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not if we can help it.

NatSoup
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by NatSoup » Feb 16 2009 2:54 pm

Al Hike AZ,

Thank you again for your attention! And helpful help!
Pack Well,
Natalie

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Mar 04 2009 9:55 pm

I was wondering shouldn't pictures for either fauna or flora or other category be ones that really represent the category? For instance if it is a flower and is way back in the picture so you can hardly see it or something else in the picture is more dominate should it be linked? How is that supposed to help people identify anything.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Mar 04 2009 10:18 pm

Which ones are you worried about. Sometimes initially the photos aren't that good and a better one gets loaded after the original description is created.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Aug 10 2011 5:51 pm

I am having trouble with labeling a pic that has already been marked "Unidentified". I can identify it. Following the instructions I go to the full view photo and I am supposed to find "Associate" but no go. If anyone can help here is the information.

This is the photo:
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=201043
This is the identification:
Giant Agave Bug, Acanthocephala thomasi
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Aug 10 2011 6:10 pm

We'll set up the label - that's why you can't associate it yet, the label hasn't been created.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Aug 10 2011 6:22 pm

Sweet, thanks.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Aug 11 2011 7:27 pm

@WilliamnWendi Your "Giant Agave Bug" is now ready for association :)
(as many agaves as we have in our AZ desert I'm surprised we don't see more pics of these)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Nov 02 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for setting up the Giant Agave Bug, now I have another one for you the "Robber Fly" aka Assassin Fly. I am not sure if this most efficient way to have labels set up or if I should make contact somewhere by private message. Is there a tutorial somewhere, I've looked hard and have not seen one. I love identifying flora and fauna, and I like the direction HAZ is headed in that regard...I wonder if there is a way to get Pixel Points for identifying those in the Unidentified Gallery. I would think we would make a whole lot more ID's that way.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 02 2011 1:38 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:. . .I have another one for you the "Robber Fly" aka Assassin Fly. I am not sure if this most efficient way to have labels set up or if I should make contact somewhere by private message. Is there a tutorial somewhere,I've looked hard and have not seen one.
I set up Assassin Fly as the main repositary. I did set up Robber Fly but put "SEE ASSASSIN FLY". It is fine to contact us here in the Forum. This way the first Fauna Admin that sees this can set up the label. You can send Private Mails, but using the Forum works fine and lets others know that a new species has been added. There is no tutorial. By having a select few Admin Joe maintains a consistency in the process. This new label also meant a new scientific Family Asilidae. It is easier to set something up right the first time than to have multiple Families or species caused by typographical variances. As Joe gets to know people he does grant them Admin rights.
I love identifying flora and fauna, and I like the direction HAZ is headed in that regard...I wonder if there is a way to get Pixel Points for identifying those in the Unidentified Gallery. I would think we would make a whole lot more ID's that way.
Interesting Idea. Joe will undoubtedly eventually see this, but you could elaborate a little more and let him know in a Private Mail.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Nov 02 2011 5:05 pm

nonot wrote:Which ones are you worried about. Sometimes initially the photos aren't that good and a better one gets loaded after the original description is created.
Below is a link to the photo, the identification I believe to be "Robber Fly" aka "Assassin Fly". At the moment I haven't a scientific name but go it to a subfamily. I think the photo that juliachaos is as good a one that you could hope for.
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=134676

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 02 2011 5:13 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:. . . At the moment I haven't a scientific name but go it to a subfamily. I think the photo that juliachaos is as good a one that you could hope for. http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=134676
In the Asilidae Family there are nine subfamilies and about 7,100 species worldwide. I'm not sure how many subfamilies or species in AZ. So I think the best we can really expect on HAZ is to the Robber Fly Family (Asilidae). We are not bugguide we are HAZ. :M2C: But I'm just a crotchety curmudgeon willing to bow to the will of the consensus democracy.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Nov 02 2011 6:44 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:. . . I'm just a crotchety curmudgeon willing to bow to the will of the consensus democracy.
I personally like crotchety curmudgeons and democracy. I admit that my ideal HAZ would have the most concise database of flora and fauna for the state of Arizona but only because hate leaving this site ;) . I concede however that our focus here is on the hike itself. I understand and appreciate HAZ's policy of consistency in how that section is organized. I guess I was expecting a more streamlined way of suggesting an identification which this time (I can be a little slow sometimes) I finally realized is in place for labels that exist already but I guess I am always finding the ones that haven't yet been posited. Thanks for your help on this.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 02 2011 6:59 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote: . I concede however that our focus here is on the hike itself. I understand and appreciate HAZ's policy of consistency in how that section is organized. I guess I was expecting a more streamlined way of suggesting an identification which this time (I can be a little slow sometimes) I finally realized is in place for labels that exist already but I guess I am always finding the ones that haven't yet been posited. Thanks for your help on this.
Hmmm ... potential this one has. An Admin Teva Joe make you might.

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli

Post by WilliamnWendi » Nov 03 2011 4:49 am

:worthy:

Return to “Flora”