Wild berry report

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Wild berry report

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 03 2011 2:31 pm

Wild berrys ready yet ? Leaving soon to co camping and taking a hand crank ice cream machine, would like to add some wild berries
jk

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Wild berry report

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 13 2014 10:07 pm

I imagine I'll be scheduling a hike along East Webber soon So many berries you don't even have to pack a lunch :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jul 14 2014 8:08 am

I thought all the major plants along the rim are blackberries... the difference is when you take them off the vine the raspberries leave a core on the vine and the blackberries aren't hollow inside... http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Raspberries ... ries-Apart Have always called them blackberries...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 14 2014 8:46 am

I've seen actual raspberries on the Peaks. I saw some in SE UT, too, but I haven't seen many elsewhere in AZ.

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jul 14 2014 11:43 am

I remember finding wild strawberries on the SF Peaks when I was younger.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 14 2014 12:02 pm

paulhubbard wrote:I remember finding wild strawberries on the SF Peaks when I was younger.
The vines are everywhere up there, but I didn't see any blooms yet.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 14 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks' Dschur for the link, not sure if the ones at Tonto Natural Bridge are wild plants or domesticated, all I know some are red and black on the same plant though I think the black ones were red but turned.
jk

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jul 15 2014 7:51 am

yep the red are the unripen ones they are sour! Used to hide in them at the Girl Scout camp.. had a councilor hunt and I would take my book and foam mattress and hide... and we used to make homemade icecream with them... only thing is they turned the icecream grey but really was good...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jul 20 2014 10:40 pm

Breaking News: Here is an up to the minute wild berry report for Mount Baldy and Primitive Blue Range ;)

First attachment some nice strawberries along trail starting around 11,000 Mount Baldy.

Not near as many raspberries along trails in that 8,000 foot range I thought they would be, its either still a little too early, or I am a little too late as in bear have got to already?? but disappointing..
Attachments
P7200371.JPG
P7190288.JPG

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 21 2014 4:53 am

The entire time I lived near Mt. Baldy (14 years) the locals complained that the berries were terrible these past many years, but that when they were kids they picked a lot of berries and their mothers put up a lot of jars of jam.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 21 2014 7:14 am

Raspberries are still a week away here. I ate a few of the early openers, and they were definitely not ready. At least I got in ahead of the bears.

Return to “Flora”