City, State: Old Pueblo

Saguaros in Saguaro NP East Vandalized

Post by Jeffshadows » May 15 2013 7:05 pm

Saguaro National Park News Release

For Immediate Release 13-29

May 13, 2013

Contact: Andy L. Fisher, 520 733 5139, Andy_L_Fisher@nps.gov

Saguaro National Park is Tagged by Vandals

Tucson, AZ – Significant graffiti was discovered along the Douglas Springs Trail in Saguaro National Park’s Rincon Mountain District over the weekend.

Sixteen objects have been confirmed to be spray painted with black paint, including eight saguaro cacti in the first 1.5 miles of the trail. There are additional reports of graffiti as far up the trail as Bridal Wreath Falls, an additional two miles uphill.

“This is very disappointing,” said Darla Sidles, Superintendent. “Many of the cacti tagged are 100 to 150 years old. They were seedlings during our nation’s civil war and have stood this long inside what is now a National Park designated Wilderness area, designed to protect them.”

An investigation is looking into who might have been involved in the crime, as well as steps that can be taken to remediate the damage.

According to Sidles, “Trail signs will be repainted, rocks will be cleaned and staff is researching methods to clean the cactus that will not result in further damage to this fragile iconic species. We need the help of our visiting public to assist us in being stewards of this land. Our national parks belong to all of us”. Saguaro National Park is asking users of this popular trail to be vigilant. Park users and neighbors are often the eyes and ears of the park, witnessing and reporting suspicious activity to Park Rangers.

If anyone has additional information about this incident, please call the Saguaro National Park Information Hotline at (520)733-5150.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Saguaros in Saguaro NP East Vandalized

Post by Jeffshadows » May 15 2013 7:09 pm

As an aside...This infuriates me. :x If anyone has information but does not want to get involved in the process of reporting because of the inconvenience, because they think the info is insubstantial, or for any other reason please get it to me through HAZ. I'll make sure it gets to the Special Agent involved in the investigation. They have leads but anything can help.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » Jul 12 2015 12:51 pm

Another type of Saguaro tagging (bonus points if you spot the HAZ member in the story):

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /30039139/

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 12 2015 1:03 pm

quiz tip
fertile dude - the original kokopeli
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 12 2015 2:59 pm

The Yeti speaks....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Flora”