Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

AZ Highways Fly Agaric Error

Post by big_load » Oct 04 2013 9:50 pm

IDid anyone else receive an emergency mailing from Arizona Highways magazine? An article in the October 2013 edition incorrectly identified the toxic Fly Agaric mushroom as being edible. I noticed the error right away, but then decided that I must have misread it. If I ran a magazine, I would probably never identify anything as edible that didn't come from a grocery store or restaurant. Even some of that is questionable.

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Re: AZ Highways Fly Agaric Error

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Oct 04 2013 10:37 pm

They actually pulled all copies of that issue off the shelves because of it. Obviously the subscriber circulation was a different story.
Personal website: Mountain Tripper

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Oct 04 2013 10:40 pm

big_load wrote:IDid anyone else receive an emergency mailing from Arizona Highways magazine? An article in the October 2013 edition incorrectly identified the toxic Fly Agaric mushroom as being edible. I noticed the error right away, but then decided that I must have misread it. If I ran a magazine, I would probably never identify anything as edible that didn't come from a grocery store or restaurant. Even some of that is questionable.
Yep. Got a postcard in the mail notifying me that they had made a mistake. I have already thrown that issue in the recycling - I don't want it staying in existence.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not if we can help it.

Nighthiker
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 05 2013 9:26 am

Refer to the book, Mushrooms and Truffles of the Southwest by States.
jk

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 06 2013 6:37 pm

@big_load
They stated in an Official Statement that they were sending out a notice to all Subscribers...But that doesn't help anyone that purchased one from a store before they were all pulled....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 06 2013 7:46 pm

I hope people will still support the magazine. It has struggled a lot in recent years. I wonder if heads will roll due to this error? Somehow I would think so...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Oct 06 2013 7:49 pm

It's a good magazine; not to worry

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 06 2013 7:50 pm

It has always been a favorite of mine. I always thought someday I might get an article published in it. But haven't even tried yet... Just lazy I guess...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 06 2013 8:19 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I hope people will still support the magazine. It has struggled a lot in recent years. I wonder if heads will roll due to this error? Somehow I would think so...
I'm always happy to see it in my mailbox, so I hope it survives the digital media juggernaut. I expect the author will face some discipline, and the next edition will surely have a big retraction and editorial comment.

mazatzal
Mazopelli

Post by mazatzal » Oct 06 2013 8:24 pm

Unfortunately, its heyday is long since and has been struggling for the last few years. :(

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 07 2013 3:49 am

mazatzal wrote:Unfortunately, its heyday is long since and has been struggling for the last few years. :(
Part of the reason for that is that it is paid for by the Arizona State Legislature. Unlike New Mexico Magazine, Arizona Highways does not sell ads, at least not to the extent a commercial magazine does. And the Legislature has been close to de-funding it more than once.

Of course, a lot of people have stopped subscribing to magazines. Personally, I like having it on my coffee table, although I am not a subscriber at the moment. A digital magazine is not better, to my mind. I don't look at them, and probably never will take the time to do so.

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Oct 07 2013 10:33 am

We used to subscribe to it, but considering we have boxes of them going back to the 30's and 40's we were starting to get deep in them.
We have quite a few duplicate issues that would be the epic Native art issues of the 70's and 80's, we also use them for reference and if a piece is featured in it, that's a great sales tool.
I mostly like the older ones that show the growth in AZ. I haven't dug through the boxes now in 11 years, but one of the ones I have marked has an interesting tidbit. There's an old photo of the White House ruins in Canyon De Chelly and on the cliff wall as prominent as the human figure is a swastika. The Navajo had that symbol (nohoco aka Whirling Logs) extensively in their culture until the late 30's.
Maybe I should dig that issue up.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Oct 09 2013 1:08 pm

Aminita Muscaria mushrooms (Fly Agaric) are edible if prepared properly. Several cultures eat them on a regular basis. The toxins are water soluble. http://www.mushroomhunter.net/articles/ ... ethods.pdf
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

Return to “Flora”