Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

What is this plant?

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 04 2015 6:58 am

I saw this plant on the New Hance Trail (Red Canyon Trail) in Grand Canyon, just below the Coconino Sandstone in the jumble of rocks which is the start of the Hermit formation. I've already sent the photo to a couple of people I thought might know, with no luck. It's also posted in my New Hance triplog of 6/1/15.

It is a large, thick shrub, at least 10 feet tall, and was growing in a dry drainage where there may be seeps.

Thanks!
Attachments
DSCF7227.JPG
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Re: What is this plant?

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 06 2015 10:44 am

Still trying to find out. Sent photo to Tom Martin. He's sending it to a Park person who should know.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 06 2015 11:47 am

Just had an email from botanist Glenn Rink. The plant is a Knowlton's Hophornbeam.

Glenn goes on to say: " Ostrya knowltonii, endemic to the southern Colorado Plateau, in canyons of the Colorado and Oak Creek Canyon area, as well as outliers east of El Paso in the northern Chihuahua Desert. This plant is included in Nancy Brian's special status plants of the Grand Canyon. It is fairly common in Grand Canyon, in the right habitat, which is mostly very dense, brushy, north facing slopes that are more mesic than surrounding terrain; places we humans tend to avoid. One odd location in GC is along the Kaibab Trail, on the Hermit Shale, in the open, right next to the trail, just uphill of the rest area in that saddle above O'Neil Butte."

I also updated my photo on my New Hance Trail triplog from last week: http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=503452

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 07 2015 8:56 pm

@azbackpackr
That's interesting. I recognized the flowers right away, but couldn't put them in any sensible context. Ostrya virginiana is fairly common around here, but I've never seen any of its relatives in the Southwest.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 08 2015 4:50 am

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jun 13 2015 10:16 am

Always love learning a new plant. Thanks!
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

Return to “Flora”