Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
whereveriroam
Roaming Kokopelli
City, State: Sparks, Nevada

Agave sticking treatment

Post by whereveriroam » Apr 24 2016 11:55 pm

Hey everyone. My girlfriend had a to close encounter with an agave this past weekend. The outside of her hand got jabbed and 36 hours later the injury is getting worse. I've had a couple of encounters over the years but after a few hours I was able to hike out the toxin. Any suggestions besides going to a local witch doctor?

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Agave sticking treatment

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 25 2016 1:44 am

Is it possible that the Tip broke off and is still in the Hand? Otherwise, it sounds like an Infection. Either way, she should probably be seen by a Doctor if it's that bad. With a Puncture Wound, it could be one of a few things....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 25 2016 4:44 am

What Outdoor Lover said. It sounds like it got infected, so it can get much worse. I doubt if there's any "toxin" involved. Please take her to the doctor. If it becomes systemic it would be very dangerous.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

fricknaley
Yikesapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Apr 25 2016 4:59 am

i did that a couple years ago and ended having to get the broken off tip dug out
hi

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 25 2016 6:48 am

There are a lot of plants in good ole Arizona that love to leave puncture wounds and I found that sucking blood through the wound helps immensely by cleansing the wound. I always carried the Sawyer Extractor for this purpose and also for bee stings. Yes, yes I know that many of you will scream and holler that the snake bite experts say never to use one but for the above stated purpose they work very well. :M2C: ;)
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 25 2016 7:34 am

I had an infection from a cactus spine once, went to the doc for antibiotics.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Apr 25 2016 7:33 pm

I had a tip of an agave stay embedded in my leg for about a year, but it didn't swell up that much and didn't actually hurt that much either as the tip was hitting cartilage, not tissue. If the agave was fouled by sticking some animal previously she may have transferred some critter's infection to herself. I would treat with OTC topical antibiotics (neosporin or generic) but if it swells up real bad you may need something stronger.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

The_Dude
Hortipelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude » Apr 25 2016 9:03 pm

I have a portion of an Agave spine that is stuck in my tibia, and has been for over a decade. Calcified by now I am guessing, and probably never coming out. Agaves do not have any spine toxins, so like everyone else has mentioned it mush be infected. If you can dig out the broken tip it will probably heal faster, but depending on the severity you might need to seek professional assistance...

whereveriroam
Roaming Kokopelli
City, State: Sparks, Nevada

Post by whereveriroam » Apr 26 2016 9:06 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. The spine didn't break off in her and from the looks, her hand is infected. Looks like she'll be off to the doctor.

Return to “Flora”