What determines "extreme" wildflowers in your triplogs?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

Quantity or Variety? What makes extreme wildflower observations?

It's all about variety. If i don't count at least 10 different kinds of flowers, it's not extreme.
No votes
It's all about quantity. if there is more color in the landscape than either green or tan, it's extreme.
53%
It's a little of both. All poppies do not make extreme. Now throw some scorpion weed and lupine in there, you got yourself a deal.
47%

Total votes: 17

cindyl
Fire! Lookout Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What determines "extreme" wildflowers in your triplogs?

Post by cindyl » Mar 27 2017 1:47 pm

Instead of hijacking someone's triplog (sorry tibber), i thought this topic might be a good discussion. what do you think makes the difference between light, moderate, or even extreme wildflowers? is it variety or is it quantity? discuss. oh, and if someone can make a poll for this, that'd be awesome.
Last edited by cindyl on Mar 27 2017 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are just two switchbacks left. And another half-mile to the destination...

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: What determines "extreme" wildflowers in your triplogs?

Post by chumley » Mar 27 2017 2:07 pm

There's no wrong way to use HAZ! :)

For me, the first four levels are just quantities. A solid carpet of poppies is substantial.
I'll only use option #5, Extreme, when there are a variety of colors. All the other levels can be a single flower type.
[Insert former flower bouquet smiley here ](*,) ]

(PS. Anybody can create a poll on a thread they start ... just edit the post, and select the poll tab at the bottom. Fill in the blanks.)

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Mar 27 2017 2:52 pm

hallelujah, a topic about something other than weather or politics :y:

good to understand the person reporting
- poppies are likely the measuring stick for most on extreme
- as much as I enjoy solid yellow hills of brittlebush I notch it down for poppy snobs
- cacti blooms don't register much on my radar ( sorry tibber/bifrost ), they store water and bloom religiously, about as exciting as gummo going to the zoo petting tigers and hugging bears
- regardless of isolated to extreme I most enjoy the rarely observed

Personally I try and keep it relative to the area for wildflowers and foliage. What I consider extreme autumn foliage in AZ is a yawner to the northern states, Canada, etc

The rating is subjective. Most seem to be within reason to the person observing. I tend to rate against the valley wide super bloom of 2001 and lesser of 2008.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hoopshiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale, Arizona

Post by hoopshiker » Mar 27 2017 3:22 pm

When you can't make it to the top of a summit because it's surrounded by beautiful yellow wildflowers, but also armed with thousands of bees I'll say that's extreme! I tried to make it up Apache Peak today in Cave Creek but the flowers and bees weren't having me.

cindyl
Fire! Lookout Kokopelli

Post by cindyl » Mar 27 2017 5:21 pm

for me, it's about quantity. what percentage of the landscape is covered in any flowers? if it's 1 percent, that would be isolated. and then as the percentages go up, so does my opinion of how flowerific everything truly is. also, as joe mentioned - i do like variety, especially seeing a flower in the wild that i have never seen before - and getting a great picture of it. but for my wildflower reports, i consider any and all flowers, cactus included.
There are just two switchbacks left. And another half-mile to the destination...

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Mar 27 2017 8:40 pm

:sl:
joebartels wrote:about as exciting as gummo going to the zoo petting tigers and hugging bears
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

The_Dude
Hortipelli

Post by The_Dude » Mar 27 2017 9:25 pm

I gotta go with quantity. Did an in town fairly mundane hike of Shadow Mountain last week for the exercise, and was literally brought to a halt a few times by the sheer mass of brittlebush. The whole north face was solid yellow. Mighty impressive. Went by Sears Kay on Sunday and was overwhelmed with sheer volume of flowers, but 8 or 9 different types made for great variety. Butterflies seemed to be in a drunken haven there were so many choices. So I guess a bit of both, but quantity overpowers variety.

skatchkins
D’Avy Crockettpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Mar 28 2017 9:00 am

I'd rather count multi-colors for that glorious extreme rating but if you have trouble moving through the desert without stepping on flowers I'd say they're pretty abundant. Maybe that should be the rule, since you can't walk through cacti or stinky brittlebush anyway, they shouldn't count.
*Is stantial better than substantial?
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

Return to “Flora”