Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mindless weather chit chat

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2009 8:25 pm

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Requested by Jim H because of dead links
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

PhilMW
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: 2014: Rain, Snow, Wind, and Sun

Post by PhilMW » Oct 20 2014 11:16 am

The past few years have been the odd ones concerning rainfall. October used to get some decent rains here. according to this http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate.ph ... n=USAZ0166 the average for October is over 1/2 an inch, and that average number has dropped since the past several Octobers have been so dry.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Oct 25 2014 9:57 am

Tucson is actually well over the monthly mean, but this dry warm weather sure is nice. I'm loving living in the low desert!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Oct 30 2014 8:45 pm

Looks like a big cool down coming, with a high of only 69 forecast for Tucson by Monday. Back to 80 by the end of next week, but still, and right in my weekend! Hopefully it warms back for my GC trip. Some welcome (probably) precip for California, and maybe this is a sign of the winter to come? I have to cancel some of my planned hikes up high, since I don't want to be out all day on long hikes, or up high if it is windy and cold above 8,000', but the desert will probably be very nice.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 30 2014 9:47 pm

Two years ago this morning, the dawning sun revealed the full scope of the mess left by Hurricane Sandy. It would be 11 days before we had light or heat again, just in time for me to leave for welcome relief in AZ. A handful of houses in the neighborhood remain abandoned due to storm damage, and a few more remain occupied despite still having fallen trees poking into their roofs. Stretches of downed electric lines and utility pole fragments still linger on most roads. The oddest vestige of the storm is a quarter mile of telephone line on the road behind my house, which escaped restoration to its proper home on the replacement poles. Instead, it follows the opposite side of the road, tied to every second or third tree with nylon ropes.

The forecast for a possible winter nor'easter this weekend evoked a twinge. I take these few moments to reflect on the power of weather to change our lives, and also on the tremendous convenience of electricity.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 30 2014 10:34 pm

big_load wrote:Hurricane Sandy
Not to minimize the devastating impact it had in any way, but extra-tropical, formerly a hurricane, superstorm or some other term would be more accurate.

Regardless, it is impressive what nature can do. I was home for Christmas that year and it was incredible to see the forests of snapped trees across southwestern Connecticut, which I know did not take the brunt of the storm. Truly mind-boggling.
Profound observer

big_load

Post by big_load » Oct 30 2014 11:12 pm

@chumley
Yes, Wikipedia describes it at landfall as "post-tropical cyclone with hurricane-force winds". It brought down a lot of trees in Pennsylvania and even into Ohio. There were many signs of tornadoes, too, which is typical of such storms, but for some reason got little mention. I wonder if that's partly because so much instrumentation went down in the early part of the storm.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 01 2014 6:05 am

Well, back to good ol' Arizona, I'm currently in Meadview, heading for Needles CA later today. It has been very windy here most of the night.

I'm so very happy to be in the desert, I'll be missing the first snowfall in Flagstaff. YAY!!!! :y:

And yes, being in the desert (and being done with my seasonal employment until late spring) has effected a most miraculous cure for my fall depression. Sunshine, warmth, shorts and sandals, long desert vistas and the Colorado River.......love it all! You can have your old yellow leaves. I'll take blue water and green cactus any day for my fall colors.

Sunrise from the deck where I'll be living this winter:
Attachments
Needles early days 010.JPG
Colorado River Sunrise
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 03 2014 9:04 am

Well, Flagstaff may have gotten a tiny amount of snow, as they picked up over half an inch of precip and the Peaks Cam has snow above 11,500' or so. Looks very white above treeline.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 03 2014 9:36 am

@Jim_H
Snowbowl posted photos yesterday and there was at least an inch at the lodge (9300ft).
Profound observer

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 03 2014 10:13 am

I was in Flagstaff over the weekend. There was a tiny amount of snow mixed in with a lot of rain when I was heading out of town yesterday morning. Only saw flakes on the west side of town where it's a little higher in elevation. By the time I hit the I-40 & I-17 intersection the flakes were all but gone. Just cold, nasty freezing rain with a stiff wind, felt like being back in Michigan.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Nov 03 2014 3:12 pm

It's pretty pumpkin nice outside today.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 03 2014 4:30 pm

Yay! Hurray! I am not there! I did see snow on the Peaks a couple of times before I left Flagstaff, though. So, I saw my snow for the year. Oh, I have to go to the dentist in Flag on Dec. 10. Hope they are having a heat wave that week.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 11 2014 9:07 am

55 yesterday until the front went through. Temps dropped about 20-30 degrees as the leading edge of the front hit the springs. A balmy 8 degrees F when I let the dog out. Afternoon sledding on the agenda :y:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 11 2014 9:11 am

MtnBart01 wrote:55 yesterday until the front went through. ... A balmy 8 degrees F
I think you're in the right place, and I am as well.....in Tucson.

big_load

Post by big_load » Nov 11 2014 10:17 am

MtnBart01 wrote:55 yesterday until the front went through. Temps dropped about 20-30 degrees as the leading edge of the front hit the springs. A balmy 8 degrees F when I let the dog out. Afternoon sledding on the agenda :y:
I'm working in Westminster through tomorrow. It was in the mid-50s when we went to lunch yesterday, 18 on the way home, and about 10 this morning. I'm looking forward to AZ at the end of the week. :y:

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 11 2014 12:24 pm

I'm in central Idaho, enjoying a lovely visit with my family, but I'm tellin' you, it's dang cold up here! :o

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 11 2014 9:39 pm

Well, I stopped in Flagstaff, and while nowhere near that cold, I find it cold enough. I've had my fill of this winter, and am ready for spring.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Nov 11 2014 9:45 pm

@Jim_H
That was quick! :sl:
Onward into oblivion!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 11 2014 9:55 pm

@rwstorm
Here's to hoping!

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 12 2014 8:26 am

@Jim_H
Come on up for a visit spring is here! :y:
Attachments
image.jpg
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Return to “Weather”