Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mindless weather chit chat

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2009 8:25 pm

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Requested by Jim H because of dead links
My favorite color is 6!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: El Niño's revenge.

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 08 2016 5:37 pm

My daughter just returned home to the cabin where she lives in Mountainaire (just south of Flagstaff) after having been away for 10 days, and found three feet of snow all over everything!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Jan 08 2016 8:19 pm

Just under 2.5" for the week at my house in north Chandler.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 09 2016 7:30 am

This was Friday morning:
IMG_0036.JPG
jk

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 10 2016 11:06 pm

It was 57F today in NW NJ, with over 2" of rain in the last day and a half. I'm really glad it wasn't snow, or I'd still be digging.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 11 2016 7:59 am

It's not making as many headlines as last week, but this is still El Niño.
Attachments
cast.jpg
Highway to hell

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 11 2016 9:47 am

http://www.wrh.noaa.go...
http://cdec.water.ca.g...

Flagstaff NWS calls 2015 warmer and wetter, with some locations in their top 10 warmest and wettest. Well above normal yearly precip for Flagstaff, but below normal snow. There was a snow ball in congress, so clearly that disproves everything. Either way, there was a week El Nino last winter before this much stronger one developed, so that probably had an impact. So far, the southern Sierra snowpack remains below average, but not that far below.
My favorite color is 6!

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Jan 12 2016 7:32 am

I was looking at some data and, up here at the Canyon, November 2015 tied November 2010 for the lowest average maximum daily temp and you would have to go back to 2004 to find one lower. Dec. 2015 has the lowest average minimum daily temp since 2009 and the average maximum daily temp thus far for January is 32 degrees. El Nino or not, it has certainly been colder than historical averages. I don't know what the temperatures have been, but the last couple of mornings have been quite cold. I got the work vehicle stuck again this morning and my nostrils were sticking together on the walk in. Once I leave the Canyon, I won't be living anywhere that has a true winter. Mild winters in places like Prescott Valley, sure, but nowhere where snow/ice sticks around for weeks and truly does have an impact on how you live your life.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 12 2016 8:14 am

The visible satellite photo from yesterday. Cloud-free. :)
Attachments
snowpack.jpg
Highway to hell

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 12 2016 8:16 am

Uh, Prescott Valley, at 5,100' or so, according to the venerated Wikipedia, has a true winter. One thing I hate about this Arizona Experience, is the incredibly misguided belief that we don't have a winter. Very often even it's native born residents think this, I find, but the belief is pervasive among those from places where losing an appendage to cold is a real and somewhat normal aspect of daily life. Sure, relative to an absolute hell hole like Canada, or Minnesota, or New York, or the dreaded northern new Jersey, the winter is mild, but it is still winter. When I see people wearing shorts on the Siphon Draw and they tell me how mild it is when I am wearing a coat, I know they are from one of those nether regions. Who cares if you left 3 feet of snow, go back there if you want to chat about it! And gets some sun on those pale things you call legs, before baring them to my sensitive eyes. I was blinded!

However, we do have a winter, and it is a true winter. Certainly an higher altitude location like PV does, and Flag, the Canyon, Kayenta, and Summerhaven absolutely do! Even if it was somehow never to drop below 55 at night, the days are short, the sun low, the nights long, and the highs are pretty chilly for a region that gets to nearly 120 degrees with regularity. I have once again, for something like the dozenth time, seen frost on cars near 16th and Glenrosa , in the central part of this so called urban heat island. Tropical vegetation and myself suffer unduly in these harsh arctic conditions! Where is this promised heat?! Where!?! Promises were made, the brochure lies!!! Agriculture largely ceases in this area during our long, winter, and I fear the sun may not rise this year. What then? What then!?!
My favorite color is 6!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 12 2016 8:26 am

@nikorock28 I know exactly how you feel. It keeps dipping below 44 in the valley!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Jan 12 2016 10:18 am

JimH, I am pleased my post gave you impetus to keep fulfilling your resolution.
Joe, your comment is just not right. I had to use a pick axe to break the ice from my parking spot!
Chumley, El Nino appears to be taking a break the next 15 days! *Insert jubilation emoticon*

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 12 2016 10:49 pm

I'm in Denver at the moment. I ate lunch outside today wearing just typical office attire because it was so warm. People gave me hard time because it was cold compared to the indoors, but it seemed nice compared to a November morning on the trail in AZ.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Jan 13 2016 11:43 am

@Jim_H
Ah, you are just not looking hard enough. Come out to the west valley and agriculture (be it food, ornamental, or otherwise) is still going strong, year round. How did you manage to make it through winters in areas much colder than here in the last few years?

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 13 2016 8:49 pm

@The DudeIt was touch and go for a while there. Sometimes I wonder how I survived.
My favorite color is 6!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 19 2016 10:08 am

Alex are you back in NJ? The Hype-acolypse is in full swing. From what I'm reading, death is a near certainty for half the eastern seaboard. Good luck. Be well.
Highway to hell

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 19 2016 10:51 am

@chumley
We landed yesterday afternoon. I haven't started hoarding provisions yet, but it sounds like we have a fair chance of snow this weekend. I hope it doesn't move into Friday or Monday, because that would interfere with meetings.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 19 2016 8:49 pm

This zonal or quasi zonal flow, as the Phoenix NWS called it yesterday, is bad for wind up high. High sustained winds over the next 2 days, on the peaks.

It seems to be good for California, if you can tolerate the endless parade of storms. The northern and central Sierra Snowpack is up to 121% and 115% of normal, and are nearing 2/3 of the April 1 mean. However, the southern Sierra continues to lag, with only 91% of normal, but still a huge improvement over the last 4 years.
My favorite color is 6!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 20 2016 8:41 am

I added a bunch of links to some weather related websites, in case people are in to that sort of thing. I found a website for upper Co river basin snow pack monitoring that I never saw before. Guess which link it is!
My favorite color is 6!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 20 2016 9:17 am

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 22 2016 9:34 am

With snowmapacalypse about to befall the District, it seems that all the stores from Charlotte to Boston have run out of milk, eggs, and bread. Apparently there's something about a good snowstorm that just makes people want to make french toast!
Attachments
fta.jpg
Highway to hell

Return to “Weather”