Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mindless weather chit chat

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2009 8:25 pm

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Requested by Jim H because of dead links
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: Mindless weather chit chat

Post by The_Eagle » Jan 14 2017 7:45 pm

No... I enjoy it and embrace it while it's here. I know it won't last long. It's a great change!
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jan 14 2017 11:32 pm

We've certainly had a wet January with more allegedly on the way. We're at roughly 8.75" for the last week, 12.75" for the last 30 days and 23" since the July 1st start of the rainfall year. That's pretty good so far, but I'd like to see a lot more snow.
The rain here is different than what I was used to in Arizona. Rain typically falls gently here for hours on end, sometimes devolving into a glorified misting, and rarely into a downpour. I remember the rain in Arizona being much more intense and shorter lived.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 15 2017 10:08 am

Guess it depends. My allergy to mold has been horrible for a solid month now. This weather is the worst for that. Right now, I'm completely miserable; headaches, sinus pressure, sneezing, eyes itching, drowsiness at times, all from mold. It actually seems worse than when I lived in Florida, 15 years ago, because there the systems moved out after a few days, at most. We've been under this freak zonal flow of relentless moisture, haze, and clouds for a solid month!

Alternating A/C and heat works only so well to dry out my place and attempt to keep humidity below 40%. I just love waking up at 4 AM sneezing.

No hiking in this, either. I don't enjoy it, or the after affects. I know there have been some sunny days, but it some how works out to be when I have worked. Squaw Peak in a fog? No thanks. I certainly won't drive somewhere to hike in this.

This isn't normal or typical winter weather. I can't recall another period of weather like this in the 10 years I have lived in the Arizona or New Mexico area. If we would get a few normal lows that were followed by cold, dry, continental air and high pressure, that would be much better. I wish I could have been here for the drought in 2013 and 2014.

Still, I am left wondering why people who move from Michigan, the west side of Washington, or where ever that this type of weather is , "normal", end up liking this, or missing it, or viewing it as a pleasant change. I have never once looked at a beautiful, dry, sunny day, and thought, "this is miserable, I need a change". Seems if you want to be in Arizona, and you don't like the 110 and sunny of summer, you might like the expected 65 to 70 and dry days of winter, at low altitude. Then again, I do remember people who lived in Florida simply because they could get a job there, and it was cheaper to live in than NY. They would even tell me they hated Florida, but at least it didn't snow. I suspect that may be common in Arizona, too.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 17 2017 5:46 pm

Looks like we might get more rain (and lots of snow)! :y:

These La Niña storms are shaping up to be a lot better than that overhyped boychild last year. :-k

Initial estimates of 1-2" in the valley, 2-4" in the Mazzies, Supes, and other mountains north and east, with low snow levels and 1 to 2 feet in Flagstaff and other locales over 7,000 feet could have a big impact statewide by Sunday (with another storm forecast to follow early next week!) :DANCE:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 17 2017 6:05 pm

I just want it all to dump fast and move on. Bring in some dry air, and have an nice extended stretch of dry weather. The Peaks aren't exactly lacking for snow, and most of the Rim isn't lacking for precip this winter. Clearly, to a point, I much prefer a dry or droughty winter.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Jan 17 2017 7:46 pm

I'm pretty excited to see 20-31 inches dumped on Mt Graham Friday and Saturday!
Never should have gotten rid of my snowshoes when I left GRCA. :(
Where is the "dislike" button?

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Jan 17 2017 7:50 pm

Jim_H wrote:Is anyone else sick and tired of the endless gray, overcast, and cloudy conditions we've had here for the last month?
Not at all, enjoying this type of weather while it lasts. Looks like we might be getting some snow this weekend. :y:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 18 2017 9:19 am

At least this series of storms is going to be colder, and it is forecast to actually precipitate here, unlike the situation over the last 3 weeks now.

After these storms and by the middle of next week, the CA Weather blog talks about a ridge building over the west coast, and presumably giving us in Arizona an extended period of that which people actually move here for: sunshine. Sorry, to those who delight in drear as some sort of wonderful change.

Why exactly do people who like gray live in Arizona? What with places like Michigan, Connecticut, Washington or where ever else, probably being better.

jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Jan 18 2017 1:06 pm

Jim_H wrote:Why exactly do people who like gray live in Arizona? What with places like Michigan, Connecticut, Washington or where ever else, probably being better.
For me, at least, it's less about liking gray than about contrast—it's so clear and sunny here all the time that some contrast of clouds and rain is nice now and then. If it was gray all the time, I wouldn't enjoy it, but the contrast of having some mixed in now and then breaks things up and makes for a nice change.

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Jan 18 2017 1:35 pm

What he said ^^^.
Plus the fact that rain and snow do wonderful, magical things to the desert ... flowing washes, ephemeral waterfalls, full lakes, Spring wildflowers, etc.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 18 2017 2:01 pm

cactuscat wrote:ephemeral waterfalls
My definition of an ephemeral waterfall is that it's no longer running by the time I get there.

xthine

Post by xthine » Jan 18 2017 2:43 pm

Jim_H wrote: Why exactly do people who like gray live in Arizona? What with places like Michigan, Connecticut, Washington or where ever else, probably being better.
Nor'easters in Connecticut (we were there for Hurricane Sandy) or a few overcast weeks in Arizona.. hmmmm :-k

Kidding aside, personally like some variety as far as weather. Sometimes I need to see gray skies and low lying clouds embracing the red rocks. Absolutely love the smell of the high desert when it rains, the ground is softer and not as dusty, the sound of the washes finally alive with running water. Also dreary overcast days means I will not sweat as much when I am trail running. :D

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 20 2017 8:08 am

Looks like storm #1 was a bit underwhelming, especially in the low desert areas, with most of the valley getting less than 0.1" of rain. Snowbowl got 20" of snow and greater Flagstaff and the Mogollon Rim about 8", which is pretty respectable.

It looks like the Mazzies, Supes, and Pinals got a decent rain yesterday too.

For tonight's storm, the forecast is down to about half an inch more in the valley but the mountains are still looking for some impressive totals.

Tucson is calling for 0.5-1.5" of valley rain and 12-36" of snow in the mountains.
Flagstaff says tonight's storm should result in double or triple the amount received last night.

Should be a fun weekend! :y:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 20 2017 8:43 am

The first storm was always forecast to be light in the Valley. The main body of precipitation for Phoenix and Tucson low deserts and surrounding mountains was always forecast to be Friday night into Saturday. A 3rd, and more uncertain storm of the greatest magnitude may come Sunday to Tuesday. Models, according to the CA Weather Blog, were divergent on storm #3, and though the forecasters were hedging towards a cold wet solution, the energy may go to the PNW, and not SWCA, and AZ-NM. However, it appears that the trend is towards the 3rd storm coming southward.
http://weatherwest.com/

That discussion is a few days old, but the information is still valid.

Oh, and guess what! The end of these miserable days is nearly here! A blocking ridge and some very welcome sun will soon be replacing these miserable days of British Columbia weather.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 20 2017 8:54 am

@chumley
It looks like the Mazzies, Supes....got a decent rain yesterday too
Sweet! I better get online soon to reserve my permit to go looking for waterfalls in the Supes this weekend :lol:

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Jan 20 2017 1:14 pm

chumley wrote:Should be a fun weekend! :y:
Well, I for one cancelled my trip down Grandview to Horseshoe Mesa and Cave of the Domes. We figured it wasn't worth the hassle of driving through all that weather and snow. :(
Go find a LonelyCache

xthine

Post by xthine » Jan 20 2017 2:13 pm

Put some snow melt down yesterday, I guess I was being overly optimistic.

We did not get any snow last night and so far still no snow today, just rain.
Supposedly some rain overnight tonight down in Phoenix, possibly rain (or just overcast?) tomorrow and winds around the 20s...should make for an interesting trail race. :scared:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 20 2017 8:03 pm

Well, if my legs are able to handle it after 2 weeks of no hiking and hardly any for 2 weeks before that, next Friday might be a great day on the Peaks in deep snow. Haven't seen that since 2010 on the Peaks, 2011 in the eastern Sierra. It ought to easily be well over 100 inches by Wednesday, at 10,000' on the west side of the Peaks.

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Jan 22 2017 7:55 pm

By far, this is the most snow I have seen at GCNP, with this being my 5th winter here. 13" sits on my back wood fence, 17" on the picnic table and areas right around 20" or more in the yard (above my knee). The biggest storm is forecasted for tomorrow, which will likely add greatly to these totals. With the predicted highs well below freezing for several days, this stuff is going to stick around forever!

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Jan 22 2017 10:15 pm

Return to “Weather”