Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mindless weather chit chat

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2009 8:25 pm

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Requested by Jim H because of dead links
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Mindless weather chit chat

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 31 2017 1:50 pm

@big_load
We need you on HAZ to remind us of why we would never live there in a million years!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 31 2017 2:05 pm

A couple days ago the lakes all had plenty of open water. Today people are ice fishing.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 02 2018 10:23 pm

@big_load
And now we are told that you East Coast Unfortunates will be experiencing a "bomb cyclone" ??!! (Whatever that is...) When I first read that weather description I had to check the calendar to make sure it isn't April Fool's Day. Anyway, They are saying you're going to get a Very Big Storm. So, stay home, please, and feed the bears. I will think about you kindly, while I'm basking in 75 degree sunshine here in Needles.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 02 2018 10:42 pm

@azbackpackr

Apart from the cold, the forecast isn't too bad for nearby areas. Worst case is 6-7 inches of snow, which is normal once or twice a week this time of year. I'm more worried about whether the pipes will freeze. Nothing around here is designed for it to be this cold for more than a day or two at a time. After a couple weeks, pipes start freezing in the ground because they're not buried deep enough, and I have one pipe in an exterior wall that likes to freeze if I don't let the faucet drip a bit.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 02 2018 10:49 pm

@big_load
I used to have that problem in Eagar, and it got worse the longer I lived there. I'm not sure why it got worse, except the house was falling apart around my ears. I was in coastal North Carolina for Christmas, and for the most part the weather was very mild, but they are supposed to get really cold this week, with some snow.

In any case, I would want a woodstove, because at any time the power could go out, and then what? I hope you have a wood heater or fireplace.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 02 2018 11:42 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I used to have that problem in Eagar
I noticed a few times how cold it gets there. It's definitely not on Mrs. big_load's list of acceptable places to live. Apart from that, she's ready to move west whenever I am.
azbackpackr wrote:I hope you have a wood heater or fireplace.
The closest thing we have is a propane heater and a carbon monoxide detector. We keep a couple propane tanks on hand, enough to go for a day or two at non-miserable temperatures. We also have some kerosene lamps. We were lucky not to have a multi-day outage last winter, so we're about due.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 03 2018 12:17 am

azbackpackr wrote:"bomb cyclone" ??!! (Whatever that is...)
It’s called “clickbait” :lol:
Highway to hell

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 03 2018 4:52 am

big_load wrote:propane heater
Olympian Wave, by any chance? I'm thinking about getting one of those for my RV. They are super efficient.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 03 2018 8:02 am

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1431007963

Finally! At least California will get something.

When will we?

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 04 2018 11:09 am

The models are definitely in the first stages of falsely predicting that there's a chance of rain in Arizona by the middle of next week. Thankfully I can continue to hang my laundry outside to dry since the actual weather has consistently underproduced what the models have called for all season. But hey, we can hope and dream, right?
Highway to hell

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 05 2018 9:29 am

Well, we will see what California and Arizona get, next week, but Flagstaff is currently still having a dry winter with no measurable snow. Today they are tied with the old spot of #3, and will have a new #3 tomorrow. Might tie for spot #2 if they get to the 7th. Looks like they won't get a new #1 unless this year is seriously bad, as the current #1 spot is in middle January, and goes back to 2006. 2006 is not really a winter worth repeating, and all the top 3 spots have seriously below normal snowfall and so I assume precipitation.

For those that think this way, a drier winter does anecdotally seems to suggest a wetter than normal monsoon season, and sometimes it starts earlier.

The winter remains to be seen, but I think SoCal getting rain and snow is at least a good thing. Sierra, too, as well as the Rockies.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 07 2018 8:14 pm

Tonight should be the last night of lows in the -5 to 5F range in NW NJ, which we've been hitting since before Christmas. Unfortunately, the warmup is occurring so it can snow. A couple more inches would be enough to ski on, but it will turn warm enough to wreck the snow on Tuesday. That's weather for you. Mrs. big_load quotes me the Phoenix temperature at least twice a day.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 07 2018 8:53 pm

@big_load Mom reported -22C on the thermometer this morning. She didn’t stick around for it to cycle through the F reading (does it matter?!) — -7F for those who care — but apparently today was balmy compared to the past couple days due to finally calm winds. When it’s this cold they have to run space heaters in the bathrooms to keep the pipes from freezing.

And yet, here I am, wishing it would snow. ⛄️
Highway to hell

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 10 2018 8:51 am

Rain last night and this morning in Apache Junction amounted to 4 tenths of an inch. :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 10 2018 10:16 am

Winter 2017-2018 occurred on January 9, 2018 with a recorded total seasonal rainfall of 0.21" at PHX.

Warmer springtime weather and fire season has now begun.
Highway to hell

arizona_water
City, State: Salt River Valley

Post by arizona_water » Jan 10 2018 10:34 am

@chumley
funny, sad and true
- there's nothing like finding Water in the Desert -

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Jan 10 2018 12:30 pm

I got a solid half inch at my house in North Phoenix, first real rain since august for me. Gotta take what we can get. No more precipitation on the 10 day forecast though, sure hope this isn't it...

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 10 2018 12:33 pm

About a third of an inch here in Needles, if I am reading the 3 day history correctly. Seemed like more to me.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 10 2018 4:49 pm

Pretty good rain over a lot of the valley. Perhaps it will green up some of the desert around here? At least it should keep the dust down for a day or two.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jan 10 2018 5:00 pm

Not much snow, but it is keeping the lines down, though.....
Attachments
GC entrance camera.jpg
kurt

Return to “Weather”