Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Mindless chit chat

Post by Jim_H »

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Re: Mindless chit chat

Post by azbackpackr »

Anybody following these forecasts regarding the remnants of hurricane Nora coming up from the Gulf of California? It'll be interesting to watch and see what happens.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

@azbackpackr
Hoping it brings good rain and GOOD BIRDS! 😁
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with pigeons.
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

@cactuscat
Cloudy with a chance of pelicans.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

I've got my kayak ready. That stretch of I-10 near 43rd Ave has been on my list since 2014.
33s over 45s
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

@chumley
North bound or south bound? :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
chumley

Post by chumley »

@SuperstitionGuy :-k
Interstate routes are designated by one- or two-digit numbers. Routes with odd numbers run north and south, while even numbered run east and west. For north-south routes, the lowest numbers begin in the west, while the lowest numbered east-west routes are in the south. By this method, Interstate Route 5 (I-5) runs north-south along the west coast, while I-10 lies east-west along the southern border.
33s over 45s
SuperstitionGuy

@chumley
Oh, I never get lost in the wilderness, just on the Interstate now and then. :lol:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Just got the flash flood/ dust storm warning. Sky looks impressive, will see if anything will come of it. perfect since I just did some weed control.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

RedRoxx44 wrote:weed control
I was thinking about AZ today when I watched a guy use a flame thrower to kill tufts of grass growing in his gravel driveway. It's the first time I'd seen anything like it. I figure it could be risky under some circumstances.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@big_load I have absolutely torched weeds in Connecticut before 🔥. Scorched earth stays weed-free for at least two seasons! -- It also works very well on ants :)
33s over 45s
big_load

Post by big_load »

chumley wrote: Aug 28 2021 8:51 pm @big_load I have absolutely torched weeds in Connecticut before 🔥. Scorched earth stays weed-free for at least two seasons! -- It also works very well on ants :)
He looked like he was enjoying it more than situation called for. Perhaps he was raining doom on some ants as well.
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

chumley wrote:. Scorched earth stays weed-free for at least two seasons!
I was an early practitioner in the mid 60's of this theory. Armed with my sister's Aqua Net and kitchen matches.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
chumley

Post by chumley »

But will it really?
Attachments
qpf.png
33s over 45s
SuperstitionGuy

@chumley
I'm going out this morning and washing my car. Will that help? :-k

chumley

Post by chumley »

chumley wrote: Aug 30 2021 8:05 am But will it really?
Well so far, the actual map doesn't come close to resembling the forecast. There's still time and looks like there may be some activity across the valley today or tonight. But except for a few select spots I think Nora 2.0 has been a bit of a disappointment. (v1 in 1997 was disappointing in phx and tucson too, with zero rain at phx after days of dire predictions and sandbag preparation. It did drop 12" of rain on Harquahala and widespread 2-4" amounts across the western deserts up across the Bradshaws into greater Prescott: wayback machine).
33s over 45s
big_load

Post by big_load »

The remains of Ida are entering NJ. The ground is already saturated from Henri and the July rains, so we have elevated flash flood and tree fall risk. Fingers crossed!
chumley

Post by chumley »

Not quite how it was predicted but there’s a conveyor belt of storms training right down I-10 into the airport that will probably make the official gauge look pretty good. It’s a pretty narrow band for now though.
33s over 45s
chumley

Post by chumley »

big_load wrote: Fingers crossed
Hope you did ok. Radar estimates of a swath of 10+" across central Jersey to southwestern CT, the first ever flash flood emergency in NYC, an all-time record of 3.15" of rain in one hour in Central Park (breaking the old record of 1.94" set just 10 days ago!), and some astonishing photos and video ... I fear what the damage will look like as day breaks tomorrow.
33s over 45s
big_load

Post by big_load »

chumley wrote: Sep 01 2021 10:58 pm
big_load wrote: Fingers crossed
Hope you did ok. Radar estimates of a swath of 10+" across central Jersey to southwestern CT, the first ever flash flood emergency in NYC, an all-time record of 3.15" of rain in one hour in Central Park (breaking the old record of 1.94" set just 10 days ago!), and some astonishing photos and video ... I fear what the damage will look like as day breaks tomorrow.
Not bad personally, so far. A tree narrowly missed my house after Henri and there's another one ready to go that won't miss, so we had some nervous moments during the peak winds. It's going to get taken down as soon as the overworked tree guys can get to it.

The rain was astounding. The only time I recall getting that much before was Hurricane Floyd in 1999. This was similar, but unfortunately for many, came right on the heels of Henri and Fred. Four out of five people who would have been in my morning staff meeting are out with flooded homes. I haven't heard yet from most of those in the afternoon staff meeting, so I'm cautiously optimistic that only the early birds have caught the worm.
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

Last labor Day weekend it was 115 degrees in Phoenix. That was too hot for early September. Nothing like that this year, especially for me in Maranara where only the high 90s are forecast. The forecast 105 for Phoenix is still hot, but probably about average and a full 10 degrees below the prior year.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!

Return to “Weather”