Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Mindless weather chit chat

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2009 8:25 pm

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reason: Requested by Jim H because of dead links
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: 2012: Rain, Wind, and Sun

Post by chumley » Mar 18 2012 9:24 am

Looks like the bulk of the rain has stopped across the valley, with a disappointing .25-.33 across most of the flatland, and only .5-.66 in the foothills north and east.

Happy to see the first rain since mid-December, but would've liked to see more. Might still have to water the lawn today! I hope it keeps dumping snow in the mountains during the day at least.
Highway to hell

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 18 2012 9:33 am

Tucson NWS is already reporting clear skies in western AZ and mentioning they may have to pull back precip forecasts. Even if the lower deserts get only a 1/3 of an inch and the Pusch Ridge area gets 1/2 an inch of snow water equivalent, that would be great. Being this last late in winter, the models don't always handle the storms well, it seems, but any real water is great. Last April, the new growth on the oaks, those which were growing in Finger Rock Canyon, was drying out and falling off due to the drought. Maybe that won't happen this year with some late season rain and snow. It would help out the grasses that are greening up, too.

We got a little rain before turning over to snow. It's a nice wet snow that is melting, which I prefer to powder that sticks around.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Mar 18 2012 9:57 am

My rain gauge showed 1/2 inch around N Phx - 101 & Cave Creek Rd. My garden is happy, happy, happy! :DANCE:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Mar 18 2012 10:15 am

Raining again here in the NorthWest Valley right now.
I was awakened in the 4 O'Clock hour this morning with heavy storms blowing through
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Mar 18 2012 1:52 pm

Dime size hail this afternoo in Gold Canyon.
jk

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Mar 18 2012 5:42 pm

Rain and hail ruined the 2012 Cyclovia in Tucson today - we got about 1/2 an inch at my place. Didn't stop a few of us hearty souls, though. I got out anyway with my puppies for a 5 mile city hike. Wish Arizonans weren't such wimps when it comes to weather. In Portland, this would have been a balmy spring day! :SB:
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 18 2012 5:59 pm

Californians, too. A friend of mine refers to Southern Californians as "weather sissies."
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Mar 18 2012 7:07 pm

We had three bouts of "thunder-hail" this afternoon. Pellet sized around 12:30, pea sized not 1/2 an hour later followed by dime sized. Big enough to crack my windshield. Wild weather! But the Supes sure looked pretty with all the snow :)
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 18 2012 7:10 pm

:y:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Mar 18 2012 8:32 pm

I didn't catch any hail in Goodyear today, but there were a handful of brief, heavy streams of rain later in the afternoon. It's going to be so nice out tomorrow.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 18 2012 8:39 pm

But those same people from the PNW moan and cry about a temperature over 75 degrees, our sun is too strong for them, and most of them love foggy and mist. Weird. Same for a lot of Flaggers. Real Arizona people like it when its 95 and it has be over 110 to be hot.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 18 2012 8:48 pm

@Patrick L
Can you tell if the White Tanks got any snow???? I just looked at the local forecast and they are now calling for the weather to stay "unsettled" through tomorrow, clearing out by Tuesday. Back up in the 80's by mid week.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Mar 18 2012 9:04 pm

As far as I know, they didn't. The chance for it dwindled away as the storm drew closer and the forecasts adjusted. It says 20% chance of rain and snow tonight, and 30% tomorrow at the highest point. I'll know for sure tomorrow, but all I'm expecting is some ice patches.

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Mar 18 2012 9:38 pm

writelots wrote:Wish Arizonans weren't such wimps when it comes to weather.
I posted similar sentiments in my triplog. I spent a couple of hours on South Mountain today. It was beautiful. And there was hardly another person out there. On a Sunday in march!

The way I look at it is the number of pleasant days in the 40s that I can hike in the desert each year can be counted on one hand. Take advantage! :y:
Highway to hell

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Mar 19 2012 8:05 am

53 inches so far at Snowbowl. I-17 is finally open again ... I should go!
Highway to hell

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Mar 19 2012 8:48 am

We had 11.5 inches at my house in Payson this morning... and was still snowing.. hit snow and rain coming down the hill last rain on McDowell... at about 7ish... http://www.schursastrophotography.com/webcam.html
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 19 2012 9:21 am

It looks like just about everywhere I care about got a lot of moisture. 24" of pretty wet snow in Flag, 53" on the Peaks at 11,000', and the Tucson area recorded pretty good figures, over much of the area. Near Pima Canyon, a rainlog location reported 7/10ths of an inch, so I expect the Pusch Ridge and bulk of the Catalina-Rincon Mountains got around 3/4 to 1 inch, at the higher elevations at least. A lot of the low desert and grasslands in SE AZ did well, too. I guess the only real question is: How did Costa Rica do?? ;)

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 19 2012 10:30 am

Jim_H wrote:It looks like just about everywhere I care about got a lot of moisture. 24" of pretty wet snow in Flag, 53" on the Peaks at 11,000', and the Tucson area recorded pretty good figures, over much of the area. Near Pima Canyon, a rainlog location reported 7/10ths of an inch, so I expect the Pusch Ridge and bulk of the Catalina-Rincon Mountains got around 3/4 to 1 inch, at the higher elevations at least. A lot of the low desert and grasslands in SE AZ did well, too. I guess the only real question is: How did Costa Rica do?? ;)
It rained on the mountains in Costa Rica, and on the Caribbean coast, but continued to be very hot, sunny and dry on the Pacific side where I live. This weekend I experienced a drizzle at the Orisi Valley, and cool temperatures in the capital of San Jose. I had to wear a sweater some of the time. It wasn't really cold, just by comparison. I didn't wear long pants or enclosed shoes, just the lightweight fleece sweater.

I am wondering how much wet snow occurred in Eagar, also. White Mtn. Independent reports roads are open but snowpacked and icy. Elksnet (Round Valley Schools in Eagar) reports that they had a 2-hour school delay this morning, and did not run the out of town buses to Nutrioso, Greer, Vernon, etc. Other than that it is difficult to find a snow report for Round Valley (Springerville/Eagar). If you click on NOAA you get the St. John's airport, which is more than 1,000 feet lower in elevation, and always has totally different weather.
Last edited by azbackpackr on Mar 19 2012 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SkyIslander18
Lucky Catchapelli
City, State: Small Town USA

Post by SkyIslander18 » Mar 19 2012 10:31 am

Snowing in Safford and sticking! :o

chumley
Highway Artist

Post by chumley » Mar 19 2012 12:54 pm

NWS reports 1" in Eagar, 1" in Window Rock, 4" in Concho, 5" in Alpine, 12.5" near McNary. Sunrise says 24-32".
Highway to hell

Return to “Weather”