Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Mindless chit chat

Post by Jim_H »

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: 2013: Rain, Snow, Wind, and Sun

Post by SpiderLegs »

Been up to Mogollon a few times, used to race bikes and they have a race that finishes just before you hit the town. It's sad to see what's happening out there.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
rwstorm

Post by rwstorm »

Onward into oblivion!
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Elizabeth posted this on the site that shall not be named. Makes me want to fill a water bottle or 5 and reduce my risk of dementia.

http://youtu.be/wCffOoPuLAo

Oh, and it's also a very impressive video.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

It's not often that the first day of Fall feels like the first day of Fall. :y: Too bad I have to work :(
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Oh, it was raining miserably on the drive up to Alamosa last evening. It's been non-stop rain this summer, and the first day of Autumn was not to miss out. Heavy rain in the San Luis Valley, and rain coming over the southern San Juans on US 64 (I was tired and missed the lightly signed turn for the 285/64 split). Looked a lot like early fall coming over on 64, and even though I know it has been wet lately and this summer, the grass has browned and leaves (maybe from fungal infections) are off many of the aspen. Lingering clouds in the valley, and I can see the reported 4 to 6 inches of snow on the eastern San Juans. Might delay San Luis Peak to tomorrow when mild sunny and not windy weather is forecast. Don't know how Redcloud and Sunshine will figure in. Windy forecast later in the week, and the Flag NWS has a wind alert up for Wednesday to Friday. Looks like mild beautiful September weather was really not to be this year. Not like last year, at least. Good thing October is pretty nice in southern New Mexico.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Snow up high in the Rockies. Looks like I will not hike another mountain this trip. Might drive part of the Alpine Loop, but gust to 65 MPH are forecast, so no hiking. It was 21 last night, where I camped. Cold! Seems like summer went right to winter in these parts.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

The dew point at Holloman AFB ( Alamo hasn't reported since Spring) went from mid 50s yesterday to 15 degrees this afternoon. A freeze warning is in effect for Cloudcroft with 29 predicted. Dry weather is finally here, life is good. I worked today and sat next to my car in a lawn chair eating my lunch. It was fantastic outside. Just like in the brochure!
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

Nice, sunny, bright and calm here too, but a bit too chilly for this beach bunny. I had the heat on during the day today, and wore a fleece sweater a good part of the time, in the house. I am behind schedule in emptying my house for my move. Worked on it today, though.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
rwstorm

Post by rwstorm »

@Jim_H
You're getting the weather we had yesterday. The westerlies are taking over.
Onward into oblivion!
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Still hot and humid in La. Can't wait to get off work and go play in the snow. :y:
:o
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

I've been all over the place the last few weeks. Everywhere I went was unseasonably hot.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Great weather in my area, for a change! Clear and sunny, very dry, not too much of a breeze, and it's supposed to get to a nice 74 degrees today. Fall colors happening up here now, too.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Finishing up evacuation of Non-essentials off the platforms for the tropical storm and getting home before winter storm Atlas get's to Co.? :-k Forecast for possible snow at our house tomorrow. :D
:o
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

@MtnBart01
Ah, yes! It's Hurricane Season! And have you guys even dried out yet in CO??? You just have weather coming from every which direction Joel! :o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

@MtnBart01
If it isn't one thing, it's another. Good luck!
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/News/Monsoon2013.gif

It was a wet summer for most of northern Arizona.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

It was actually colder here in Alamogordo, at 4308' and a couple of degrees south of Flagstaff, than it was in Flagstaff, at 7011', last night where it had been forecast to hit the low 20s. We were at least as low at 36, Flagstaff only got to 40 or so. It looks to have been windy overnight in Flag (go figure) and it was very calm here with down sloping winds off the Sacramentos bringing cold air down. Guess they had a freeze in Cloudcroft?
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Get your fall colors by tomorrow! Last chance! (At least the ones that have started to turn already).

With 50-60mph winds forecast along with a Wednesday night cold front, rain and snow, there might not be much left.

Lower elevation changes that haven't really begun yet should still be ok.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

What is this I hear about wind? Is this something northern Arizona experiences? :sl:
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Jim_H wrote:What is this I hear about wind? Is this something northern Arizona experiences? :sl:
Jim, for the millionth time, Arizona's White Mountains where I live, Eagar and Springerville, are nowhere NEAR northern Arizona, and in fact, are south of the middle! And yes, we are proud of our wind. Springerville made it onto Jeopardy TV show one time, in fact, for being so windy. I don't know what the actual question was, though. This was many years ago.

Several years ago the Town of Eagar received grant money to construct a racquetball building with four indoor courts, restrooms and an office. They made the mistake of building it in the springtime, the windiest time of year. They had it all up and were starting on finishing the siding when the whole thing blew down one night. It was just a big pile of sticks when I drove by it the next morning. They had to buy new lumber and rebuild it. They had to use extra lumber to buttress it, to keep it from blowing down again. Then when it was finished, it almost exploded from the wind getting in that couldn't get out again (you construction types may know about this problem) so they had to install a lot of venting. It just would not take the 100+ mph gusts we get here in the springtime. I personally would not want to be in there even now, during a windstorm.

Return to “Weather”