Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Mindless chit chat

Post by Jim_H »

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Re: 2013: Rain, Snow, Wind, and Sun

Post by azbackpackr »

I hiked in shorts today and I'm wearing sandals right now. I am SO happy to NOT be in Eagar, you have no idea...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

NWS PHX has published a new page reviewing the storm from last weekend.

Interesting reading:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/psr/pns/2013/No ... 3_2013.php
And to further emphasize how uncommon this storm system has been, Phoenix has not seen a storm with this amount of rainfall since March 5-7, 2000, or over 13 years ago.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber »

chumley wrote:NWS PHX has published a new page reviewing the storm from last weekend.

And to further emphasize how uncommon this storm system has been, Phoenix has not seen a storm with this amount of rainfall since March 5-7, 2000, or over 13 years ago.
:o
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

6-8" of snow fell in Taos Saturday night and Sunday morning, and about 3" more Sunday night and Monday morning. There was still plenty of standing water in NE AZ this morning.
big_load

Post by big_load »

big_load wrote:6-8" of snow fell in Taos Saturday night and Sunday morning, and about 3" more Sunday night and Monday morning. There was still plenty of standing water in NE AZ this morning.
It was also a bit cold. The lowest temp I saw was 13F. The weather seemed to keep everyone inside, so we pretty much had the town to ourselves.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

The next storm to come into the west looks to be hitting Arizona mid week, and getting close to the precipitation event, forecast are firming up. A lot less impressive this time around, but still something. If seeds and flowers start to germinate, or do what ever they do this time of year, another 1/4 to 1/2 would be pretty good. Maybe some more natural snow for the Peaks. The big winners seems to be Utah and Colorado, which makes me think this is a direr colder system and the snow will be light.
chumley

Post by chumley »

Coldest air of the season so far. Desert highs struggling to get much above 50, with overnight freeze in the burbs. :FG:
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur »

Payson had 3.25 inches of rain out of that storm and 1/2 inch of snow... but is almost all dried up now!! Was still some snow spots on the rim as I came over it yesterday...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

What can I say? Dorothy, this isn't Kansas, or Eagar...

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Unless cold air was what you wanted, the big Arizona winner of this system appears to be Tucson. Lots of 2/10, 3/10, and even a few 4/10 of an inch totals around Tucson this morning on the rainlog.org site. Not sure if there was more or less up higher, but 1/4 of an inch ought to do something for the desert.
rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm »

.33 inch storm total at my place in SW Tucson; year total now at 11.39 inches.
Onward into oblivion!
kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake »

I didn't even know you had a home. I figured your home was the open road ... :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

We're up to 7 degrees under sunny cloudless skies inching our way to a forecast high of 10 F. Going to play in the snow after Micah wakes up from her nap. :y:
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Got the pellet stove roaring. Thermometer on front of the house says -18 F. :) Anybody up for a hike?
Attachments
image.jpg
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

MtnBart01 wrote:Got the pellet stove roaring. Thermometer on front of the house says -18 F. :) Anybody up for a hike?
Haha, that's funny. I'm here in SoCal, it's about 38 degrees, maybe 40 outside. I'm absolutely freezing, and I have the pellet stove blasting on high, am wearing sweatsuit, wool socks, beanie hat and fleece sweater over my sweats. I am sitting next to the pellet stove. And you wonder why I hated Eagar so much? :o

I did adjust to the cold for maybe about 10 years of the 14 I lived in the mountains (Eagar and Flagstaff). But no longer. If it is less than 65 during the day, it's cold, and if it is less than 50 at night, it is cold. I am able to exercise when it's cold--I do warm up, and can easily be comfortable hiking when it's in the 40's. Also can comfortably cross country ski if temps are above about 20 degrees, and sunny. But if I am not in the middle of exercising, I'm just miserable. House needs to be at least 70 but right now it is probably only 62 in here.
big_load

Post by big_load »

MtnBart01 wrote:Got the pellet stove roaring. Thermometer on front of the house says -18 F. :) Anybody up for a hike?
I used to love X-C skiing in that kind of weather. However, I don't like how my fingers and toes hurt when they start to thaw out afterward.
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

Brrrrrrrrrr!
Attachments
001.jpg
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

And, half decent snowfall accumulations predicted around Flag with a foot forecast for the Peaks.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

22 degrees BELOW zero here at the Canyon this morning! That's a little ridiculous.
Where is the "dislike" button?
chumley

Post by chumley »

@cactuscat
Brrrrrr! :o
At KGCN (the airport), the mercury dropped to -23F this morning. The NPS lists the coldest temperature ever recorded in the park as -22F at the Bright Angel Ranger Station on the North Rim.

KGCN has had two previous instances of colder days, a -27F and a -29F, both occurring in late December. Today is only the third instance that the temperature there dropped lower than -20F which has happened a few times.

The station on the south rim in the village "only" dropped to -7F this morning.
Indian Gardens hit 24F, and Phantom Ranch 28F.

The Tusayan station gained 25 degrees between 8 and 9am today, which is a pretty impressive swing in a short period of time!

Return to “Weather”