Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Mindless chit chat

Post by Jim_H »

The endless chatter of weather.
Last edited by big_load on Aug 01 2017 9:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Reaching new standards in excelence.
Jim_H

Re: Mindless chit chat

Post by Jim_H »

I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of the 2017-2018 winter, which I think we may based on predictions. It was just about 80 every day that winter, and we only 1 storm that dropped roughly 1/2 an inch of rain all winter long, as I recall.

I wish we would get a bunch of winters like we had in 2015-2016, when it was fairly cool to cold, and there were enough storms to feel like we had a decent rainfall. Though not completely necessary this winter, I have my fingers crossed for 2021/22 and moving forward. Primarily for chill hours.
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz »

Too bad that southern Alabama cannot send us some of their surplus; I am sure THEY would be on-board.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

Jim_H wrote:cold
Hopefully, the Sonoran Eskimos don't get the numbing cold they desire.
Will the record highs flip to record lows with all the burned vegetation loss? :scared:
- joe
chumley

Post by chumley »

Every Human on Earth wrote:I have my fingers crossed for 2021/22
Uh huh. Controversial thought! :sweat:
Championing breakfast since 1994.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

wildwesthikes wrote:If I recall, the last I checked the scientific discussion indicated they expect 2020 all around to be a record dry year including fall/winter.
It certainly has been hot enough over the whole country.
LosDosSloFolks wrote:I hope they're wrong too, but 2020 shows no signs at all of offering up any redeeming qualities.
Amen!
trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko »

how about warm winter temps and plenty of rain?
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

@trekkin_gecko
Hope springs eternal. :-)
Stop dreaming about a better yesterday.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

@trekkin_gecko
Define what you mean? Perametres? An inch a month down low would be great, but I want a few "cold weeks", for us. I'd love lots of nights with lows 35 to 45 degrees, a few nights near freezing, and a few rainy days when we don't get over 50,preferably in a row and in later December and early January. Preferably every winter, but....
chumley

Post by chumley »

Well since the desert burned this year, I hope for a good snow year to keep moisture in the pines, or they'll burn next year and then there'll be nothing left except Piestewa, and the new $4 Billion parking lot won't be able to handle the influx of cars. (Thanks for taking the bus Joe. Every little bit helps.)
mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal »

NOAA:
For the months ahead, scientists say there is a 75% chance that La Nina will be in place from December 2020 through February 2021.

During the winter, La Nina typically brings above-average precipitation and colder-than-average temperatures along the northern tier of the U.S., along with below-average precipitation and above-average temperatures across the South. A region of concern this winter will be the Southwest, where a weak summer monsoon resulted in extreme drought
big_load

Post by big_load »

mazatzal wrote:During the winter, La Nina typically brings above-average precipitation and colder-than-average temperatures along the northern tier of the U.S.
If we get more snow, at least it will be when I'm already expected to be working from home. No more hour and a half of shoveling before an hour and a half of driving. :y:
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

With all the smoke haze and low level haze of mixed smoke and other pollution, are people modifying their hiking?

Since I returned from the Canyon last week, the air has been filthy and the sky white to brown. I see no point in driving out of town to a hike. I'd sort of like to do so, but....
AugustWest
City, State: Gilbert. AZ

Post by AugustWest »

@Jim_H
The Pinal's didn't seem too bad yesterday and there wasn't a soul to be seen at any of the trailheads up FR 112. Only saw 2 or 3 trucks going in or out.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
big_load

Post by big_load »

Haze from the smoke reached NJ this week. I can't imagine how much worse it is closer to the source.

Fall arrived as well. I haven't worn long pants at home since mid-May, but we had frost warnings last night and tonight and we've gone three days in a row without running the AC. I think the long pants are back on until May.
chumley

Post by chumley »

big_load wrote:pants
It's Covid/2020. I don't even know what that word means! :)
big_load

Post by big_load »

chumley wrote: Sep 19 2020 10:48 pm
big_load wrote:pants
It's Covid/2020. I don't even know what that word means! :)
I went into the office on Thursday wearing a suit with leather-soled shoes (not to mention socks and an undershirt). It was a linen suit, so not too big of a step at once.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

@AugustWest
So, no, you're not really changing plans. I'm not in a mood to make a long drive to to hike in haze verging on smoke fog. Fine if others do, but I don't want to do so. I can't imagine that the air was any different from the Valley in the Pinals on Friday. I didn't have weekend hike plans, but I didn't really want to go anywhere with the haze.
garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 »

Whoo Hoo! Only two more months to Popping Christmas Lights! Ah, that's the life, sitting with an eggnog in one hand and popping Christmas lights with the other! It doesn't get much better than that!
chumley

Post by chumley »

This graph is a couple of days old, but PHX is now up to 133 days over 100 degrees. The forecast for the next 7 days points toward hitting 140 by next Wednesday.

I fail to see a scenario where we do not eclipse the 1989 record of 143 days, and quite honestly, wouldn't totally rule out hitting 150. :sweat:
Attachments
100.png
big_load

Post by big_load »

Autumn has finally come to NJ. I don't like seeing the leaves come down, but I treasure the cool, dry air.

Return to “Weather”