NWS - Detailed Point Forecast

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

NWS - Detailed Point Forecast

Post by joebartels » May 15 2012 12:42 pm

If you value the NWS Detailed Point Forecast maps your comments are requested asap!

Here is the new design for a random point. You will notice it is missing the Detailed Point Forecast map seen on the old design.

Comment here through May 18th. If you plan outdoor activities with the Detailed Point Forecast they need to know, be sure to use that term in your comments.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

burntlizard

Re: NWS - Detailed Point Forecast

Post by burntlizard » May 15 2012 1:05 pm

I prefer the detailed point forecast map, especially for the elevation forecast. It's nice to know the difference between a forecast specific for 4000 ft, versus one for 9500 ft.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » May 15 2012 1:22 pm

I agree. I hope the public does not loose that valuable tool.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 15 2012 1:51 pm

The new point forecast still features the exact lat/lon and elevation data. But I don't know how it plans to let you select specific points if there is no map and no way to enter the coordinates. Perhaps they have a licensing/cost issue with the non-evil folks from mountainview?
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » May 15 2012 2:05 pm

While I like the map, the search function is quite powerful (based on the Google database).

A quick test turned up the exact point for Humphreys Peak, Agassiz Peak, Fremont Saddle, and even Houston Draw, McFarland Spring (on the cabin loop) and Tonto Fish Hatchery.

It did not return the correct response for Reavis Ranch, or Battleship, though it got La Barge Mountain and Garden Valley.

It did get Battleship Mountain when I added Pinal to the search, so that it knew which Battleship Mountain to choose.

Would it be easier if it also had a map? Yes. But I can live without the map if it's location search functions are as powerful as they appear to be.
Attachments
search.png
Highway to hell

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 15 2012 2:10 pm

joe bartels wrote:If you value the NWS Detailed Point Forecast maps your comments are requested asap!
@joe bartels Thanks for letting others know about this!

@All HAZ members While you may not care about the detailed point forecast or agree with my opinion, please do take a moment to make your voice known. After all it's our tax dollars that funds the NWS.

I've relied on this feature for a number of years and had links to all my favorite hiking areas. So when the NWS proposed a new look, with an already intense dislike for the 'new look' to the Weather Channel's forecast site I checked out the proposed NWS site right away. When I saw it missing the detailed point forecast map I responded immediately to their request for comments. Being the most used feature on their site, if the detailed forecast goes away I'll have no reason to use the site.

My main reason for NOT using the NWS site exclusively in the past was the lack of timely current condition updates for Falcon Field, usually anywhere from 3 to 24 hours behind. Telling me at 6 am that the temp WAS 90 degrees at 7 pm the night BEFORE isn't my idea of current.
CannondaleKid

chumley

Post by chumley » May 15 2012 2:22 pm

@CannondaleKid The Point Forecast is not going away. Only the map is gone. While I think that will be an inconvenience, you can still bookmark specific points at all your favorite hiking areas just like you did before. And I've never understood why Falcon Field doesn't have overnight reporting. Perhaps they don't have electricity out there yet? ;)

BTW- In addition to requesting the map in the webform, I sent an email to the actual forecaster in the PHX office who oversees the trained volunteer weather spotters (like me), so maybe that carries a little bit more weight...?
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » Jul 03 2012 9:29 am

I noticed today that the new NWS page has been implemented ... and they listened to the feedback and the Google map remains! :DANCE:

A victory for common sense and logic!
Highway to hell

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jul 03 2012 11:00 am

:y:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Jul 03 2012 3:38 pm

Does the new page have anything to do with the forecast on Mapdex being buggy?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 03 2012 3:45 pm

joy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 03 2012 8:47 pm

should be resolved now
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

burntlizard

Post by burntlizard » Jul 04 2012 12:12 pm

It's not a bad set up. I use the satellite loop and radar mosaic most.

Return to “Weather”