Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

View of Lake Powell from space shows changing water level

Post by JimmyLyding » Jun 15 2014 7:15 pm

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Featur ... powell.php

A series of satellite pics of the northeastern end of Lake Powell (where the Dirty Devil River joins the Colorado). I found it interesting so why not share?

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Re: View of Lake Powell from space shows changing water leve

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 15 2014 7:19 pm

That's a neat map! I hear they expect water level to rise. Wish they'd fill Lake Mead instead.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 15 2014 7:21 pm

Would be amazing if Music Temple, Cathedral in the Desert, etc would be able to be seen again. Then again, perhaps our water bills will be more like a car payment---

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Jun 15 2014 8:00 pm

Global Warming. Denying it doesn't make it go away.

Or does it..? :-k

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jun 15 2014 8:15 pm

@gummo Uh, what?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli

Post by gummo » Jun 15 2014 8:27 pm

@Jim_H
The theory is that global warming (increased methane and CO2 in atomsphere amongst other factors) is causing the drought in the southwestern US.

Quick answer:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 308AAJsTN2

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 16 2014 4:09 am

This discussion brought to mind a question: What caused the 50-year drought in the Southwest in the 1100's and other long-term droughts in the region over the past 2,000 years, and how do they compare to 21st century drought in the area? I found an interesting article here: http://www.pnas.org/content/107/50/21283.full
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jun 16 2014 8:23 am

@gummo
Could be, just as it could not be, given that there have been worse droughts before, as Liz states. This year was not a drought for most of the upper basin states, as the lakes are rising and the snowpack is still high. Actually, except for NM, there is not really a drought in the upper basin states.

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Jun 16 2014 9:16 am

Lake Powell has risen 30 feet since April, it's rising 9-12 inches a day, total content is approaching 4 trillion gallons, snowpack is over 200 percent of normal. As Jim says, a pretty good water year.

http://www.lakepowell.water-data.com

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli

Post by gummo » Jun 16 2014 9:48 am

Jim_H wrote:@gummo
Could be, just as it could not be, given that there have been worse droughts before, as Liz states. This year was not a drought for most of the upper basin states, as the lakes are rising and the snowpack is still high. Actually, except for NM, there is not really a drought in the upper basin states.
Yeah maybe. Redistribution of the rainfall, so some areas get less and some get more and some areas don't change at all. There's a lot of misinformation on the web about it on both sides of the topic, but it's not worth debating. The only way we'll resolve Global Warming and every other problem in the world is if we decrease the earth's population by half or somehow convince people return to a nomadic lifestyle and that'll never happen. It's hard enough to convince people in Las Vegas stop growing grass in their yards.
Last edited by gummo on Jun 16 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 16 2014 12:02 pm

@gummo
I am of the cheerful persuasion that one day someone will press the wrong button, or a genie will get out of a bottle and wipe out a lot of people. Yes, I read a lot of sci-fi-- ;) ---and that will solve the problem!

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jun 16 2014 7:26 pm

RedRoxx44 wrote:@gummo
I am of the cheerful persuasion that one day someone will press the wrong button, or a genie will get out of a bottle and wipe out a lot of people. Yes, I read a lot of sci-fi-- ;) ---and that will solve the problem!
Or the scenario laid out in Larry Niven's and Jerry Pournelle's 'Lucifer's Hammer:' a comet hitting earth would do the trick, but would probably be much less enjoyable than global thermonuclear war.

Of course, if there's one thing our species has proved it is that we are very good at killing our fellow man and ourselves....

Back to (hopefully) reality, I think the biggest difference we can make today is through conservation. My coworker claims to be an ex-hippy who typically votes for the elephants, but he walks the walk when it comes to calling for water conservation. When his shower is warming up, he sprays the still-warming water into a bucket then pours it onto landscaping. Then he soaps/shampoos himself with the water off, then turns it back on when he's ready to rinse. Needless to say his family subscribes to the same "if it's yellow, let it mellow" philosophy that I do.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jun 16 2014 7:40 pm

It has been said before and I will say again: the greatest user of water in California and the Colorado basin is agriculture.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 18 2014 10:41 am

This brings up recycling, which in some areas is a ridiculous waste of fossil fuels and money spent on wages. For instance, in St. Johns and Springerville there is no community recycling plant. A friend from St. Johns was lamenting this state of affairs. I tried to explain to her that hauling semi-truck-loads of recyclables 5 hours to Phoenix would not be cost-effective and would be a waste of fossil fuel. Add it up: the trucks, the fuel, and paying the drivers, etc. Then when you get the recyclables to Phoenix, another huge expense to convert them into usable elements. So in what way would hauling all her glass, aluminum and plastic to Phoenix be "environmentally friendly"?

Answer, it's not. Put it in the landfill. Mine the landfill later, if you want all that stuff.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jun 18 2014 10:45 am

Phoenix is at a lower elevation. Use the plastic and metal to create gliders to haul the balance.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 18 2014 10:51 am

@joe bartels
Or just float it down the LCR. It'll be in Yuma in a few weeks. Or a few mile trip over the divide to drop it in the Black and send it into the Salt! :)
Ja vi elsker dette landet

Return to “Weather”