Desert Rats: Will you begin a hike while it's raining?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Desert Rats: Will you begin a hike while it's raining?

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 5:45 am

I'm wondering how many die-hard desert lovers will willingly start a hike while it's raining, knowing it will continue raining. Okay, now: If you said "yes," then I'll want to know where you grew up. Did it rain a lot where you grew up?

I grew up in San Diego, where rain is an exciting and rare event. I know that people from the Northwest will go hiking and even (shudder!!) bicycle riding in the rain, without any second thoughts. On purpose! To me, this seems totally alien and weird. :scared:

I generally sit at home, wishing it wasn't raining. In fact, that's what's happening right now. In addition to the terrifying possibility that I might get some small part of myself wet, there is a real danger of flash flooding here in the Mojave Desert, where I am wintering.

I will occasionally start a hike before rain sets in, and bring rain gear, but I'm not in the habit of deliberately going out in the rain. I would like to get more open-minded about this, but it's hard to break through my natural resistance.

I bought some rain pants this past year, my first pair in years. My Marmot rain jacket is so-so, but the REI Talusphere rain pants are bomb. I haven't used them yet. I'm thinking I should go try them out today. https://www.rei.com/product/892142/rei- ... nts-womens
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Desert Rats: Will you begin a hike while it's raining?

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 22 2016 3:57 pm

Nighthiker wrote:Don't mind the rain or snow, just part of the hike. Lightning strikes I try to avoid :)
I agree. I don't mind rain or snow. I have the gear. Not having the right gear can make rain and snow hikes into ordeals. Some of my most memorable hikes have been in rain & snow. I also get better photos with more drama when it is raining or snowing. I try to avoid lightning and hail. :M2C:

I grew up a Navy Brat. I lived wherever there was a US Naval Air station - from Corpus Christi to San Diego to Bremerton to Phoenix (yes there was a US NAS Sky Harbor bitd) to Lakehurst to Virginia and numerous places in between.

We probably should make this a poll question. But I don't know how to do that.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 6:09 pm

@Al_HikesAZ
I tried to set up the poll, but I wasn't sure what to put in the blank spaces. I didn't understand the setup. And when I submitted it, it disappeared.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2016 6:20 pm

@azbackpackr
FAQ here: https://hikearizona.com/dex2/faq.php#f8r3
You may edit the original post to add a poll. Click the Poll tab at the bottom.

Step by step in the attached image
poll.jpg
or video
Ja vi elsker dette landet

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 22 2016 6:37 pm

Yes, I will hike in rain. I esp like to time it though if the storm is breaking, beginning or end for photo ops with dramatic skies. I like ponchos in open terrain, that way the camera is easily reached underneath. Serious terrain it's pants and jacket and something for cameras. Possible snow Christmas morning east of me, just may have to sneak out there. Well, I have to go up and break some holiday lights. Carry on.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 22 2016 7:03 pm

I spent my youth in South Africa, ~44 years in Minnesota and last 14 years here in AZ.

I love hiking in the rain... as long as it isn't 35 degrees and windy. Some of my best hikes in AZ were rain-hikes, providing some of my favorite photos. I have a photo of the Supes in rain/sleet that has been my desktop background since 2010.

Today's cell-phone https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=613436 isn't near as good but it's similar.

(While I used to like hiking and mountain-biking in snow, I no longer care to and avoid it as much as possible. And no, I will never go 'home' to Minnesota for the holidays ever again.)
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Dec 23 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 22 2016 7:17 pm

I think we had a similar poll once for will you hike when it is 100, or 110, or something. I did well on Squaw this summer, and found it down right comfortable from a little before sunset to well after dark even when 107 or so. On the other hand, I made the mistake of wearing shorts to the garden today, and I feel lousy for it. I am choosing to live in Phoenix, and Arizona, and in the USA's only real hot or warm desert, and I like the time when it is at it's most characteristic. Today, when I feel like I am in Maine, I would never hike intentionally. Yes, it takes some getting use to, but I just tolerate heat over cold, far easier, and this moist cold that I know comes with cold rains, or miserable rains in the mid-50s, is nothing I want to be subjected to.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 22 2016 8:09 pm

Perhaps I'm not even qualified to answer this question (and maybe it's why I like hiking in the rain?) but I don't even remotely consider myself a desert rat.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 22 2016 8:19 pm

@CannondaleKid
Wow you are really old!!!
Rowdy and Widowmaker

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 23 2016 5:46 am

Widowmaker wrote:Wow you are really old!!!
Only on the outside, I'm still a kid inside... :y:

The evidence? At times Tracey will say, Oh! You are so juvenile! [-(

{Edit: Whoops, I guess part of my brain is getting old too... my math was off. I fixed it}
CannondaleKid

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by cw50must » Dec 23 2016 8:31 am

if its a heavy down pour lasting all day, no. Light rain on and off, yes, makes for a nice day. I grew up here.

A couple years ago we took our vacation to Vancouver, it poured for 2 days. One of those days was our day trip up to whistler, we still went and still got bikes, still had fun. The next day we had planned for Lynn Canyon, we got soaked both days but it made it seem more adventurous.

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 23 2016 10:40 am

I would/will. If there is no lightning. You can see some cool washes running and waterfalls at their best. We have started many a hikes with a high percentage of rain. For some reason we look at the 10-20 % chance of no rain and say " so there is a chance it wont rain". LOL
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Dec 23 2016 10:51 am

Grew up in Philly (18 yrs) then moved to Rochester NY (35 yrs) - rain is no biggie to me - proper gears helps for sure, my last hike out of the Canyon it was pretty much raining the entire time from Phantom all the way up BA - cept for the last 600 or so feet of elevation then it turned to snow showers.....both conditions were bearable, I had a jacket and pants and it was laughable how many peeps were crammed into the shelters on the way up.....life is short - hike away I say!
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

hikerdw
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw » Dec 24 2016 2:53 pm

Rain doesn't bother me at all, born in Pa. but grew up right here in the east valley desert.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Dec 25 2016 10:24 am

I live in the desert because it is dry! That said... I do not cancel planned hikes... I may alter route to accommodate the rain... did that this week... headed out before light, in the rain. It rained the entire hike.

Grew up in North Texas... 32" annually.

I liked the rain and cold when I used to train bike riders... made them tougher.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Peter_Medal
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Peter_Medal » Dec 26 2016 3:10 pm

Rain, snow, sleet, wind....all good....some of the best hikes ever have been in the rain/snow...
just not thunder/lightening.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1425536562659.jpg

"Before there was a trail..... there was no trail"

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 01 2017 8:47 pm

Sometimes I will and sometimes I won't. I've done quite a few multiday trips entirely in foul weather and certainly will again. However, there are days when I look outside and decide to wait for better weather.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jan 02 2017 1:37 pm

Had a great rainy trip to the Little Horn mountains. Beautiful skies, interesting destinations then came the driving--- then came the getting stuck then 9 hours of what 4 wheelers do best--winching, digging, minimal progress, then choosing the wrong exit, getting stuck again, more winching, digging, monday morning quarterbacking, phone calls and texts, waiting, then the cavalry arrives, they almost get stuck. A few " here hold my beer and watch this " moments, finally get serious and get it out. Then the nighttime drive in the road turned river with water churning out of the wheel wells. Reprise at the gas station with people gawking at the dirty people and really dirty vehicles. Great times and a great way to start out 2017.

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Jan 02 2017 1:59 pm

@RedRoxx44 We were in the Eagletails, pretty muddy in that vicinity :lol:

Return to “Weather”