B-24 Crash Site

HAZ Sleuth Underground

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
AK
City, State: Mesa, AZ

B-24 Crash Site

Post by AK » Sep 23 2003 11:07 pm

I was up at the bottom of Humphreys Sunday and happened to spot the location of the B-24 crash site. I took azhikers advise and brought a compass with me and took a bearing of about 46 degrees from the trailhead. And sure enough I found it with a pair of bonoculars. The sun was just right to see the aluminium skin of the plane glistening in the sun. I plan on going back soon to check it out. Hope that this aids anyone trying to find it because I've heard that its difficult to find from the trail. Also here are some photos that I took.

http://hikearizona.com/dex2/igallery/album.php?id=25
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Sep 25 2003 8:19 am

For more inforamtion on aircraft crashes in Arizona, google aircraftarchaeology A book on aircraft crashes is also available.

sniffnpiss
City, State: Springerville, Arizona

Re: B-24 Crash Site

Post by sniffnpiss » Sep 25 2003 8:34 am

In response to AK's reply:

There is also a plane crash right on the East Baldy trail of Mount Baldy. It is approximately 3/4 mile from peak. The story is that back in the forties aviation maps had Baldy a 100 feet shorter, this plane was flying in clouds by map and compass(bummer). Its a twin engine plane, like Ameltha Earharts plane. The engines are buried in the dirt about 50 feet up from the crash. there is cowling pieces down along the old West Baldy trail in the creek bottom.

woopitup
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by woopitup » Sep 25 2003 3:42 pm

I visited this area a few years ago and found MANY aircraft parts. A lot of misc. sheared off metal fragments and some actual large pieces. Although I was looking for the impact site, I pretty much stumbled up on it?? I've spent 10 years in aviation and found it to be very interesting to explore! Having witnessed a couple aircaft crashes it was also somewhat sobering to walk around the crash area...

sophia

pfredricks
City, State: Surprise, AZ

crash site

Post by pfredricks » Sep 25 2003 4:17 pm

It was overcast yesterday when I was there, and I could see the reflections from metal clear as day with the naked eye. I couldnt remember any of the descriptions that people wrote to get there, but, now reading them it seems like it would be easy enough to find ( I say that but...) If your picture is correct AK, I saw the exact same thing.
-Pete
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

inluvwac

Re: crash site

Post by inluvwac » Apr 04 2006 3:10 am

Can anyone tell me exactly why the main part of the plane is buried? Or is it?

Nighthiker

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 04 2006 6:05 am

Most wreckage may have been carted off. In the book Faded Contrals, it mentions that at some crash sites the metal was melted down and made into ingots and then removed from the crash site.
jk

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: crash site

Post by azhiker96 » Apr 10 2006 5:16 am

inluvwac wrote:Can anyone tell me exactly why the main part of the plane is buried? Or is it?
The Army Air Corp undoubtedly did some cleanup. They would have gathered the bodies of the crew, any armament, the radios, and the bombsite (top secret at the time). I would guess it was easiest to get that stuff by toting out the mashed up fuselage. The wings, engines, and landing gear would not have been classified enough to warrant cleanup.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Hokulea
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by Hokulea » Apr 14 2006 6:51 pm

More information on the aircraft that crashed on the side of Humphrey's Pk. can be found by googling aircraftarchaeology B-17G Fortress

The basic info: B-17G # 42-102899, 18 September 1944.

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Apr 14 2006 10:34 pm

In response to Hokulea's reply:

The one I've visited is this one. It's a B-24 that crashed on 15 Sep 1944.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

inluvwac

Post by inluvwac » Apr 16 2006 11:52 am

Hokulea wrote:More information on the aircraft that crashed on the side of Humphrey's Pk. can be found by googling aircraftarchaeology B-17G Fortress
I would love to see this as the Flying Fortress is probably my favorite plane of all time.

Nighthiker

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 16 2006 4:55 pm

A B-17 flies out of Falcon Field and I think next weekend another B-17 will also be flying out of the west valley. A B-25 is also at Falcon Filed in Mesa for a couple of more weeks.
jk

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Apr 16 2006 9:55 pm

I have a client in Falcon Field who did the 100 hour inspection/tune-up on the B-25 recently. I was at the hangar when the work was being done and I had the priveledge of talking to the owner of the plane. He told me fascinating stories about the bomber and the history behind it. He also told me that he supports the upkeep of the plane by giving rides in it. $300 per person! Ouch!

A few days prior to that, I took my sister, an Air Force officer and pilot, to Falcon Field and we got to scramble around inside the B-17. That was pretty cool, and it certainly made her day!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Apr 17 2006 5:44 am

$300 for a plane ride in a B-25 sounds pretty reasonable to me. Heck it's going to cost you $100 to fly a Cesna.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re:

Post by azdesertfather » Aug 20 2008 9:23 am

Hokulea wrote:More information on the aircraft that crashed on the side of Humphrey's Pk. can be found by googling aircraftarchaeology B-17G Fortress

I didn't know there was a 2nd plane crash on Humphreys, I just knew about the B24. Is this crash site accessible? If so, where is it?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Aug 20 2008 9:41 am

There is only the one, the other is in the White Mts, (at least from this thread).

I've been through the crash about 8 or 9 times this year (its on my regular way up and down the peak). Mostly whats left are fragments. Its also really easy to get to, come up the Dutchman and once at the top of it head north on the mountain by about 500 to 750 feet and continue upslope at the same grade you were going in the Dutchman. Well below the wreck you will start to see large metal pieces in the trees. Once you see these, just head straight upslope.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Aug 20 2008 9:56 am

aircraft archaeology says it crashed into San Francisco Peaks, and shows pictures. http://www.aircraftarchaeology.com/B-17G%20Fortress.htm

I've also read about a B18 that crashed on Humphreys, at http://www.p-38.com/B-18%20wreck%20Nort ... rizona.htm

Sorry for posting URLs, wasn't sure which other way to reference these :wist: :guilty:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Aug 20 2008 10:06 am

does anyone have a GPS route for the B24 site? I see none are posted yet on the HAZ page...

no avatar
CdnInAz
City, State: Cave Creek, Az

Post by CdnInAz » Jun 25 2015 11:25 am

Reopening this topic with a link to website I just found (hope that is OK, not sure how else to share). I've been reading about the B-24 and had not heard of the B-17 until read comments above. Googled "San Francisco Peaks B-24 B-17", found this. Very interesting write ups. Only three days between crashes. I have two new additions to my hiking bucket list!!

http://www.lostflights...

While writing, I'll post a question:

I hiked Humphreys Summit Trail #151 yesterday, hoped to take a spur from that trail on way down to the B-24 but that turned out to be overly optimistic for same day, so did not. Hope to go back up soon. Does anyone know for certain that off trail is permitted? There is a sign at 11,400 feet saying not allowed, $500 fine. I had assumed below was OK. But I spoke to a local hiker on her way down while I was on way up - she said she hikes here often. I mentioned the B-24 and she said that area is off trail and violators can be fined.
Last edited by CdnInAz on Jun 25 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 25 2015 11:44 am

There is no prohibition to hiking off-trail below 11,400 feet. Higher up it is prohibited to protect the endangered groundsel.
Highway to hell

Return to “Plane Wrecks”