Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Loy Canyon Trail #5, AZ
Linked Areas none
zihuat
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Lynnwood, WA

Missing plane spotted? Need help... [ Found ]

Post by zihuat » May 23 2007 1:59 pm

We're still looking for that Cessna 182 that went missing SW of Sedona last fall with my niece onboard (details at http://www.n2700q.com). Now that the snows are gone -- and folks are hiking again -- I'm hoping something will break. Last month I came down from Seattle and took three flights out of Sedona. Still analyzing the hundreds of hi-res pix I shot...
FOUND SOMETHING near the trailhead for Taylor Cabin Trail (but on the opposite side of the ridge from the trail) that looks suspiciously like a Cessna fuselage.
W 111° 57' 5"

My aerial pic (#172) plus GoogleEarth placemark are here: http://www.n2700q.com/googleearth/Redshirt-4-3/

The location fits, assuming the pilot stayed on his northerly course and went up Mooney Canyon, crossing over the powerlines where there's a gap along Buck Ridge. If he hit the lines or screwed up trying to avoid them at the last minute he'd wind up where this object is ... hence my extreme interest in what may turn out to be just another white rock.

Problem is, it's hard to reach. My brother went
up there Monday (using the powerline road to come in from the north) but even on foot he couldn't get close enough due to rough/steep terrain.

As always, we deeply appreciate your help.

Grimey
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Grimey » May 23 2007 8:30 pm

Is your brother an experienced hiker?

Looks like you could bushwack in from near the Taylor Cabin TH, maybe move across that Eastern ridge towards hill 6416, and move down the ravine. Looks rugged but possible.

The pictures look promising enough to justify an atempt to get there.

When you say he came in from the North, it appears the powerlines are on the East/SE from the location of point of interest, along Buck Ridge. Is there another set of powerlines that I don't see?

Grimey
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Grimey » May 23 2007 8:33 pm

If I could get to the Taylor Cabin TH I'd make a run at it... anyone been to that TH lately?

zihuat
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Lynnwood, WA

Post by zihuat » May 23 2007 9:03 pm

No, he's not an experienced hiker, was alone, and was not equipped for rough terrain. He came down the powerline road from the Turkey Butte side in his Suzuki Samurai until he reached the gap (by the TH), then parked and walked out as far as he could on the east edge of Buck Ridge.

You're correct, that powerline road approaches from the NE not N.

Yes, GoogleEarth shows some sort of "goat track" continuing up the ridge where the first switchback on the Taylor Cabin Trail turns S.E. and drops down into the next valley. Just getting up that ridge might allow an unobstructed view down at the object. Please be careful, and team-up, if you go.

djui5
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Missing plane spotted? Need help...

Post by djui5 » Jun 04 2007 10:18 pm

Did you ever find this plane?

no avatar
woodstockweid
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: Missing plane spotted? Need help...

Post by woodstockweid » Jun 07 2007 3:55 pm

Why not ask the CAP to take a closer look at the site? A chopper coul easily get in there as well.
Woodtockweid
Ash Fork, AZ
woodstockweid@yahoo.com

joebartels
teva joe

Re: Missing plane spotted? Need help... [ Found ]

Post by joebartels » Jul 30 2009 9:50 pm

I just noticed this never got updated to [ Found ] so I updated the subject. It's amazing nobody saw this plane. Judging by the map it looks to have been very close to the saddle Loy gains.
MARSI-8a.jpg
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Plane Wrecks”