Roger Trough Area.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Helicopter Crash in the Superststions

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 15 2015 10:47 pm

We Posted right at the Same Time it looks like...I'll move mine over.....

A Medical Helicopter (Native Air) has Crashed tonight in the Eastern Superstitions...The only Information I have gotten right now is that the Rescue is Mobilized out of Roger's Trough TH and they have Airlifted 1 Survivor to Maricopa Medical Center in a Blackhawk Helicopter...That's all I know right now...Even the 10:00 News didn't have that much....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 16 2015 7:13 am

Another report has the scene as "PCSO identified the crash site as being near Sawtooth Ridge, 12 miles north of Superior."
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 16 2015 9:40 am

Pinal County Sheriff's Office

Helicopter Crash: At approximately 6pm last night, a Native Air medical transport helicopter with three crew (pilot and two medical staff) went missing while returning to Globe. One crew member survived the Airbus AS 350 B3 crash, located approximately 12 miles north of the town of Superior in a rugged wilderness area with limited access. There were no medical patient on board. Our Sheriff's Office Search & Rescue and Detectives have secured the crash scene awaiting the arrival later today from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) who will conduct the crash investigation in conjunction with our Sheriff's Office. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the crash victims.
Awaiting Sheriff Babeau's news conference...
smoke it

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 16 2015 9:42 am

What a Shame....My Heart goes out to the Families and Friends of those Lost and sending Healing Thoughts to the Survivor.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

RickVincent
Augerpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by RickVincent » Dec 16 2015 10:20 am

I wonder what they were doing out there. Were they looking for someone, and if so, what is the status of that person or persons? Hard to see people die who are in the business of keeping others alive.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Dec 16 2015 10:35 am

@Rick Vincent
It was returning to Globe from Mesa Gateway. A direct line flight path would take it over Haunted Canyon. Sawtooth Ridge is only 9 miles north of Superior. 12 miles as noted is closer to Pinto Peak. Of course, reports of locations and mileage are likely inexact at this point. In any case, it wasn't more than a few miles off the direct line path between the two points it was traveling between. I'm sure more details will emerge in the investigation.
smoke it

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 16 2015 10:59 am

The News Conference.... (dead link removed)

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Dec 16 2015 11:19 am

Review of facts as reported so far:
Helicopter: Native Air AS350 B3
Flight Plan: Mesa Gateway to Globe
Occupants: Pilot, 51, male, Gilbert (deceased), Nurse, 38, male, Mesa (deceased), Medic, 38, male, Gilbert (critical)
One of the deceased survived the crash and the medic attempted to perform rescue treatment unsuccessfully.
Location: 12 miles north of Superior, near Sawtooth Ridge. There is 3-4" of snow on the ground at the crash site.
Crash time: about 6:00pm
Wreckage Found: about 8:30pm by Native Air and Air Evac helicopter
Survivor Located: about 9:00pm by DPS helicopter after he signaled with a flashlight
Survivor Rescued: about 10:30pm by US Air Force Blackhawk helicopter
smoke it

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Dec 16 2015 6:38 pm

I have a friend who flies out of the same base and a buddy that works at the Gilbert hospital, but frequently works over at the base so I'm glad they checked in this morning before names were released. Another, buddy worked there until a couple months ago when he started working for my company's air medical branch in Globe. My heart goes out to all three who are grieving as well as the families of the individuals. My understanding is that they were located earlier by a Native Air Medical aircraft around 8:30 pm and a dps aircraft later but neither were able to land and provide aid because of the rough terrain. :(
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 16 2015 9:29 pm

A Friend of Mine is a Flight Nurse for that same Company...I immediately thought of her, but she Posted pretty quick so I didn't have to wonder long....She is Devastated understandably... :(

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 16 2015 10:35 pm

@Outdoor Lover I really am lost for words just so tragic. When I read your post I knew I couldn't have said it any better than you.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Dec 18 2015 8:22 am

smoke it

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 18 2015 3:57 pm

From the report: "They rescued about 4 hours after the crash in sub-zero temperatures by a USAF helicopter ..."

I assume they mean below 0 C. It wasn't really below 0 F, was it?

chumley
budding artist

Post by chumley » Dec 18 2015 4:09 pm

@big_load
I saw that too. Clearly incorrect. Possibly in the teens (F) at the coldest.
smoke it

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 18 2015 7:42 pm

I'm sure they were talking 0 C....The Guy I talked to said it was 26 Degrees at the Roger's Trough TH at 10:00 P.M.

jameslcox44
Archiepelli
City, State: mesa,az

Post by jameslcox44 » Dec 18 2015 8:00 pm

@Rick Vincent
Hi Rick,

Just wanted to let you know, we finally did your route of Reverse Flatiron. Glen posted it today. From the sprire, we did the hard left and moved up the left side of the wash, and followed the saddle to the ridgeline that led us to 5024. Thanks for your excellent instruction. Have a Merry Christmas.
jameslcox44

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 18 2015 9:10 pm

Return to “Plane Wrecks”