Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Agua Fria

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 09 2017 5:59 pm

Does anyone know if there is water running in Black Canyon?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Agua Fria

Post by rcorfman » Dec 09 2017 11:45 pm

@RowdyandWidowmaker
I doubt there is any water running in Black Canyon but since your title is "Agua Fria," I'll assume you're asking if the Agua Fria is flowing?

The Black Canyon Trail (BCT) crosses the Agua Fria in five places. The northernmost crossing, north of Mayer is usually dry and I doubt it is flowing now. From the Black Canyon City trailhead, you cross the Agua Fria within a few miles going north and also going south. Both of those crossings are pretty much always flowing. I know they were last month. The BCT crosses the Agua Fria two more times south of there, once on the east side of Little Pan Loop and also on the west side of Little Pan Loop. Water was flowing on the east side last month. It probably isn't flowing on the west side crossing, however, there are large pools of water near the crossing. The Agua Fria is actually flowing there, however the flow is underground and you just see the pools.

See my trip report from last month: [ triplog ]
Go find a LonelyCache

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 10 2017 6:12 am

@rcorfman
Thanks, I am meeting someone there and not sure what hike we are doing. It's supposed to be a 6 or 7 mile loop that cross's the Agua Fria a few times.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Dec 10 2017 8:03 am

USGS stream gauges @
stream-reports.png
- Agua Fria River Near Rock Springs
- Agua Fria River Near Mayer
- Agua Fria River Near Humboldt

All show 1+ foot height. They must sit at those levels or are placed in a bucket of water. View the 12 week reports for a clue.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Dec 10 2017 3:05 pm

@RowdyandWidowmaker
Probably something on the BCT but I don't know where you are meeting. At this time, for all the Agua Fria crossings on the BCT (or any other place for that matter), you should be able to rock hop, or just step across the Agua Fria.
Go find a LonelyCache

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 10 2017 3:27 pm

@rcorfman
Well we are doing this next Sunday and will be starting from the Black Canyon Trailhead. We are doing a loop and that's all I really know so far. We will be crossing the Agua Fria a few times.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Water Availability”