Sierra Ancha Wilderness - Springs

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Sierra Ancha, AZ
Gatekeeper
City, State: Flagstaff,AZ

Sierra Ancha Wilderness - Springs

Post by Gatekeeper » Dec 15 2017 5:29 pm

Hey Ya'll I'm looking to bring in the new year by backpacking in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness. I'm curious if anyone knows if Hunt, Edward, and Weinel Springs are flowing? Talked to the Tonto Ranger Station and they think they will all be dry with how little Precip the mountains have seen. I'm just reaching out in hopes that someone has been up there recently with different news.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Sierra Ancha Wilderness

Post by joebartels » Dec 15 2017 6:09 pm

not sure, hope someone knows

reference for those stumbling across this thread
[ Sierra Ancha Springs :: map ]
click on a spring to add a water report
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Sierra Ancha Wilderness - Springs

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 15 2017 7:07 pm

Last status post for Edward Spring [ Edward Spring ] was mine on 2016-05-02 - "Dripping Seep acceptable for a filter hose setup and/or chemical treating." but I would bet that this reliable perennial spring/seep status is presently the same. If it is dry, you can backtrack on the Rim Trail 139 to perennial spring - Cold Spring Canyon Creek @ Rim TR 139 [ Cold Spring Canyon Creek @ Rim TR 139 ] (On TR 139 you will cross-over this spring flow prior-to arriving at Edward Spring, so you can check-out the status then).

Please report back both spring status in your hopeful to be posted trip report.

Thank you!
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper » Dec 19 2017 6:17 pm

@Grasshopper
Still planning the trip. A little hesitant to hike all the way out there, banking on finding Cold Spring Canyon Creek, and then not finding any water... I'll keep you updated. Maybe Ill be daring.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 19 2017 9:33 pm

tturner wrote:I'm looking to bring in the new year by backpacking in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness.
Does this mean backpacking in late Dec'17 - early Jan'18? You did not mention which TH Parking/Hiking TR Start-End you are planning on? Many areas of our Sierra Ancha Wild receive a lot of snow from Dec-March. The Edward Spring at the Pueblo Canyon Overlook area is at ~6400ft elevation. Besides your concern of locating reliable perennial springs for this trip, you may also need to consider how much SNOW and how COLD/WINDY it could be. NWS Fcst for the Edward Spring area: [ point forecast ]

Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper » Dec 19 2017 10:28 pm

@Grasshopper
Ya I checked out the forecast for the area and surrounding areas. Seems clear so far. Cold and Snow are fine with me since I have the gear for it. Spent plenty of nights as a guide being rained and snowed on in colder temperatures then what they are forecasting. Initially I was thinking of coming in from Bull Canyon TH but after looking at the map if I go I might go in at Moody Point TH as I'm wanting to see and explore around the areas of Devils Chasm,Cold Spring Canyon, and Pueblo Canyon from trail 139.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Dec 19 2017 11:13 pm

@Gatekeeper
We just got two rainstorms, assuming the anchas got any of that i think you'll likely get water at cold spring and edward spring, i'd be more concerned that it is mostly frozen, though considering the elevation you are at.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 20 2017 7:18 am

Gatekeeper wrote: after looking at the map if I go I might go in at Moody Point TH
The Moody Point Trail has two TH/Parking Starts, a lower one- off Cherry Crk Rd FR203 & an upper one- off Workman Crk Rd FR487.

Just fyi.. If you plan to park/hike start at the Upper Moody Pt TH, depending on snow conditions, the Tonto NF- Pleasant Valley Ranger Station always closes & locks this FR487 gate for the winter snow months.. if this gate is closed/locked upon your arrival (gate is located at the Falls Day Use Area at ~6300ft on FR487), then you must park here and it will add substantially (+miles on FR487) to your uphill backpack hiking to reach the Moody TH Start. If you decide to go, you should have this great upper elevation SA Wilderness area to yourselves for bringing in the New Year 2018.. a good thing! :)

Return to “Water Availability”