Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
galthen
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Water in the Superstitions

Post by galthen » Nov 04 2003 4:04 pm

Does anyone know of places in the Superstitions where water is available? I know there are some active springs at Reevis Ranch, but I wonder about other places that have good campsites.

AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by AZ_Hiker » Nov 04 2003 6:05 pm

from what i hear RR is the only place that has water right now..but that is just what I heard.. when I was up there 2 weeks ago I ran into some rangers and they said there was no other water to be found.. keep in mind they had not been to every place/spring/creek in the supers but, in that area the only place withe water was the ranch..

feb march there should be more but we will have to wait and see..
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Water in the Superstitions

Post by HikerInGilbert » Nov 04 2003 8:12 pm

In response to galthen's reply:

Actually, Pinto Creek should still be flowing well. Cibeque would be another.

Depends on how much of a hike in you're talking about.

Creek at Reavis is a bit low, but filterable.

Have fun

Tom 8)

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Nov 05 2003 4:50 pm

In response to HikerInGilbert's reply: water is in pinto creek near Haunted Canyon (after the first 1.5 miles)and at Tonys cabin. Have not heard about others...
:D

whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Nov 16 2003 8:35 pm

Went to Charlebois Spring on Saturday 11/15 for the 1st time and there was a lot of water there. Also thanks to the rains of the previous week there were pools in some of the drainages. The deepest of these and most likely to be there next weekend were located on the west side of the Boulder Canyon trail prior to the junction of the Dutchman trail.

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Nov 17 2003 8:32 am

Water at Bluff Springs too.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Filterman
City, State: Kyle, TX

Water in the Superstitions?

Post by Filterman » Nov 07 2005 6:50 pm

I am planning a trip in the Superstitions towards the end of this month. I wanted to see if anybody has been on the Red Tanks trail, JF trail or Boulder Canyon lately and how is water availability. Any information will help.
Thank You

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Oct 28 2013 3:41 pm

Recycling this old thread . . .

In anticipation of a trail crew going up to work above Pine Creek, we need a current spring report on Walnut Spring. Pine Creek was dry a few weeks ago but we didn't think to check Walnut Spring, a short ways north of Pine Creek. Anyone been up there or planning to go soon? Thanks!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Oct 28 2013 4:10 pm

@Sredfield

I passed by Walnut Spring on October 6th and there was water.

In fact, there is ALWAYS water at Walnut Spring..I have seen water in August, July, all months and very dry times, one of more reliable springs in Supers, it wont be an over-flowing trough like La Barge, however, there will be water. Anything can happen, however, I would bet a nice dinner there will be water.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 28 2013 7:51 pm

Do you mean Walnut Spring just off Two Bar Ridge? If so, that water was stinky every time I passed by. Not bad if you have an activated charcoal filter.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Oct 29 2013 9:52 am

@big_load
Na its good promise, spent days before during heat of summer on that water, but yes I would certainly use a filter...not stagnant, actually a pretty robust seep at times, you probably saw during a low-water time, but its two plus feet deep, just has a mucky bottom that clouds water. At one time it was one of best springs in eastern supers, they talk about it in the Eastern Guide to Supers for Hikers, it use to be like 8 feet deep and enclosed by huge timbers, was torn down by forest service, became just a mud hole, and then was rebuilt to its current state. But it is right in my stomping grounds and have never seen what I would call "bad" water in it.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Oct 29 2013 10:07 am

@Sredfield

This Walnut Spring location? http://hikearizona.com/dexcoder=598178
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

big_load

Post by big_load » Oct 29 2013 10:17 am

friendofThundergod wrote:@big_load
Na its good promise, spent days before during heat of summer on that water, but yes I would certainly use a filter...not stagnant, actually a pretty robust seep at times, you probably saw during a low-water time, but its two plus feet deep, just has a mucky bottom that clouds water. At one time it was one of best springs in eastern supers, they talk about it in the Eastern Guide to Supers for Hikers, it use to be like 8 feet deep and enclosed by huge timbers, was torn down by forest service, became just a mud hole, and then was rebuilt to its current state. But it is right in my stomping grounds and have never seen what I would call "bad" water in it.
I wouldn't call it bad, since I've used some really foul water from other sources, but it had a fairly strong odor the times I passed that way (which were a long time back, all in low-water periods). I'm glad to hear it may be better.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Oct 29 2013 10:20 am

@Sredfield

Big Load did make me think, I might have sounded too optimistic, don't expect to find an over-flowing trough like La Barge, or a crystal clear spring pouring out of the rocks, but what you will find is at least two feet of water encased by some wooden timbers, I have a campsite I have been going to for a couple of years near Walnut, and not once has there been what I would deem non-drinkable water. Big load is right not the best water in world, but not undrinkable. Unless it comes from a pipe, I always filter, and I would do the same at Walnut. Anyways, the water will be fine for a group to camp near. After all, it is the Superstitions not the West fork of Oak creek so one cant expect crystal clear water pouring out of the mountain, if you are just doing trail maintenance, why not camp along the flowing sections of Campaign Creek and day hike up to AZ Trail/Two Bar??

I literally went through all of my hikes over last three years and found that I had visited Walnut Spring in all 12 months at one time or another and its never been dry....below is just a pic, but I am sure you know what it looks like.

http://hikearizona.com/photo=364705

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Oct 29 2013 10:23 am

@big_load
Na you are kind of right man, its certainly not a robust spring, I might have sounded to optimistic, so I clarified...I forget that maybe what I consider to be good water, may not be on par with what his group may be looking for...I think I gave them an accurate depiction though, prob good you mentioned though, made me think I might have made it sound nicer than what it is.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Oct 29 2013 10:24 am

@Grasshopper
Yes, in fact, that is the link I put up to :)

big_load

Post by big_load » Oct 29 2013 10:41 am

@friendofThundergod I'm glad you get out there so often. I love that ridge, although the two big climbs from Tule TH wear me out. In terms of volume and utility, Walnut Spring's location is very fortuitous.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Oct 29 2013 11:23 am

Thanks everyone.

I assume all water is to be filtered, so "bad" has to be really thick green stuff at the bottom of a cattle tank, with numerous cows visible.

The crew would be 8-10 people for 8 days, and a couple horses packing supplies in and out. As I said, Pine Creek being dry was a surprise and threw a monkey wrench into the plans, as did the government shut down. (snide political comments omitted here). We were looking at sometime in Nov. but will have to rejuggle and see when it can happen.

They will be rebuilding the trail between Pine Creek and Reavis Ranch, or as much of it as they can in the time/funds allocated. Volunteers welcome.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Oct 29 2013 11:52 am

@Sredfield
hmmm, you might hope for rain then. Although, if you camped near where Reavis Gap Trail crosses Pine Creek (two really nice spots), under a mile north down Pine Creek is an area not marked on many maps, but called Reed Springs on some maps, anyways, it usually has water, and there are a few trails going to it, however, I would not have a warm-fuzzy about relying on that for keeping stock and people hydrated for that long.

Why not consider camping at Reavis Ranch and making the trek to your section of trail every day, you can easily leave all of your trail clearing supplies at the top of Boulder Pass which is where Reavis Gap Trail makes its descent into Reavis Valley and then its literally just a short up-hill hike every-day to get to your trail clearing project..probably every day you would be looking at about a 500 foot climb and a mile plus hike from Reavis Valley to the sections of trail you are looking to improve, although, eventually that mile hike will get longer as you progress...

Hey will you guys also clear Cuff Button and Bull Basin Trail while you are out working? :)

Return to “Water Availability”