How much water on the S. Kaibab?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
Diane Tuccillo

How much water on the S. Kaibab?

Post by Diane Tuccillo » Apr 25 2002 9:58 pm

I will be hiking the South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch June 8th then hiking out the next day. I had shoulder surgery in January and am still doing physical therapy. I am doing really well considering how frozen my shoulder was, but I am told I am not to carry anything on my shoulders. I have a fanny pack that holds water bottles on the side, and I can hook up another water bottle or two to that. My question is, in hot, dry June, on the South Kaibab where there is no water on the way, how much water do I need to carry to get down to the bottom without getting dehydrated? According to the National Park Service, I need 150 ounces, but I don't know how I am going to carry all that on my fanny pack. Any advice? 8)
jersey girl

Mike
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Mike » Apr 25 2002 10:14 pm

Hi Diane,
The first thing you should do is pre-hydrate before you start down. Also, get an early start, a couple of hours before dawn would be best. Sure you won't see the views for the first few miles, but the payoff is that you get to watch the sunrise from inside the canyon! It's really very cool! The last time I did it, it came up about the time we hit the Tonto!

What size bottles can your fanny pack carry? If you can carry 32 oz Nalgene's, four of those, along with the other suggestions, should be more than enough.

Have fun!

no avatar
Diane Tuccillo

Post by Diane Tuccillo » Apr 26 2002 7:37 pm

Mike--Thanks for your reply. The prehydrating is a great idea--I didn't think of that! I did buy 2 Nagalene bottles today, and they fit perfectly in the side bottle holders of my fanny pack. I think I can hook on two more bottles. My shoulder might have it easy, but my hips sure won't--at least until I get about halfway down the trail. We are planning on starting off about 4 or 5 a.m. I have hiked down, through and up a few times before, but I never had to worry about weight on my shoulders. This is the first non-backpacking trip in--good timing for it. I would have had to cancel if we planned to camp instead of staying at Phantom Ranch. We have had these reservations for two years! It should be fun because my one friend has never been down into the Canyon, so another friend and I are taking her. I can't wait! --Diane
jersey girl

ck_1
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by ck_1 » Apr 26 2002 11:18 pm

I've been reading Over The Edge: Death in Grand Canyon and was stunned at the sheer number of fatalities from lack of water. To quote...

'Almost routinely-despite the Canyon's infamous heat, its lack of water and its leathal cliffs acting as ramparts to imprison the parched hiker away from the river of life flowing within view so far below - hikers underestimate levels of heat and thirst in Grand Canyon. That a hiker may need more than the 2 gallons of water per day for summer day-hiking in the Canyon may seem unbelievable. But, under some conditions-pivoting on the weight of the hiker, the weight of his pack, the air temperature in the shade, the amount of wind, and the lack of shade-these two gallons-plus per day may not be enough'

Just something to think about...
'The Journey is the Destination!'

no avatar
Diane Tuccillo

Post by Diane Tuccillo » Apr 27 2002 10:00 pm

Yeah, I know. I have hiked there in the summer before, and I know how hot it can get. I just have to strike a balance with what I am able to carry and what I actually need. I am hoping going downhill the 7 miles to Phantom I will be okay with the gallon+ I can carry, with pre-hydrating and leaving very early in the morning. It is a little scary though,not having the arm power I am used to. If I get too concerned maybe I can talk my friends into going down and back on the Bright Angel. Thanks for the info. Diane
jersey girl

GTG_AZH
City, State: Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA

H2O

Post by GTG_AZH » Apr 28 2002 12:08 am

ck1, as usual we are on the same page. I've been reading the same book as well.
Diane, Yes you would be very surprised at the number of deaths due to lack of water. You may just want to take Bright Angel down and just do refills on the way. South Kaibab is a great view, the exposure and lack of water could be stressfull though. If you can prepare for the trip by 'acclimating' yourself to hiking in the heat before then, you should be OK. Prehydrating and a good diet the night before will go a long way as well. If you get down in 4 hours, that's a quart an hour. I don't remember how much I drank on the way down, it was far less than 100 ounces and we had clouds with temperatures in the low 70's.

Good luck,

GTG
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'

Return to “Water Availability”