Is there any water in the Superstitions????

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
SuperstitionMAN
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Is there any water in the Superstitions????

Post by SuperstitionMAN » Feb 08 2006 4:17 pm

I'm planning to take a scout troop into the Angel Basin area of the Superstitions later this month. I need to know if there are any running springs or water that can be filtered in or around Angel Basin. Thanks much in advance for the reply.

-Superstitionman...

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Is there any water in the Superstitions????

Post by hikeaz » Feb 08 2006 5:12 pm

SuperstitionMAN wrote:I'm planning to take a scout troop into the Angel Basin area of the Superstitions later this month. I need to know if there are any running springs or water that can be filtered in or around Angel Basin. Thanks much in advance for the reply.

-Superstitionman...
One of our "crew" was down last week & said it was as dry as a bone at/near Rogers ruins and Angel Basin.
The potential exists that there may be water further down the Frog Tanks, or at the intersection with Fish Creek, but I'd not count on it unless someone verifies it first. That would be a lot of dry mouths.

If the weather stays warm, and you don't feel that they're up to carrying the weight (to dry camp @ A.B.), you might head to Reavis instead.
Also, Charlebois & Whiskey are doing good, or maybe the Lower LaBarge box.
kurt

SuperstitionMAN

Post by SuperstitionMAN » Feb 09 2006 5:02 pm

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the trail intel! We'll figure something out.

Russ

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Feb 09 2006 5:39 pm

Don't expect to find any water there, and I would second going to Reavis Ranch.... I think the water's permanent there....
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

SuperstitionMAN

Post by SuperstitionMAN » Feb 13 2006 9:36 pm

In response to fairweather8588's reply:

Thanks for the input. I just talked to a guy tonight that said he thought there were 6 or 7 running springs in the Sups as of two weeks ago. Can you (or anybody) confirm any water sources besides the Reavis Ranch area? I love Reavis, but it's a little too much of a hike for my youngest guys...

Ideally, I'd like a 3-4 mile in to a water hole and then back out the next day. Any ideas?

Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Feb 13 2006 10:01 pm

Have you thought of doing Haunted Canyon (around 8 miles round trip)? I've seen several boyscouts in that area! It's easier than Reavis Ranch. Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 13 2006 10:39 pm

SuperstitionMAN wrote:In response to fairweather8588's reply:

Thanks for the input. I just talked to a guy tonight that said he thought there were 6 or 7 running springs in the Sups as of two weeks ago. Can you (or anybody) confirm any water sources besides the Reavis Ranch area? I love Reavis, but it's a little too much of a hike for my youngest guys...

Ideally, I'd like a 3-4 mile in to a water hole and then back out the next day. Any ideas?
Second Water Spring 3 mi. +/- one way, Charlebois 7 o/w, Whiskey Sp. 'bout 4.5 o/w, LaBarge +/- 6 o/w, Reeds Water +/- 5 o/w (in the well) - as well as LaBarge Box (lower), Campaign, and as Mary suggested, Haunted Cyn/ Tony Cabin.
kurt

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Feb 26 2006 3:13 pm

Russ,

Looks like you found your water down in Haunted Canyon/Tony Cabin!!!! It was cool running into you and Troop 109 out there. Did you completely tire those boys out?

We heard weird things all night long but had a great trip ourselves~~~

8)
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

SuperstitionMAN

Post by SuperstitionMAN » Feb 27 2006 11:20 am

In response to Trishness' reply:

Hi Trish,
Thanks for the shout. Thanks also to you guys for telling me about Tony Cabin. We had a great time. The boys really liked this outing. We played "bocce rock" for a couple of hours. Since the way we came in (the North end of #203) took us up about 1,000 and down about 1,000, we all got a good workout.

We were dissapointed to not hear any creepy strange sounds in the night. We wanted that "Haunted Canyon" experience. What did you guys hear? If we go in again, we'll be sure to bring extra cookies in case we run into you again! :D

Shi

Post by Shi » Feb 27 2006 6:54 pm

It was nice meeting you and your troop. Hey, Thanks for the cookies. :D That will get you any beta that I might know in the future! We even got the kite up....well, sort of! Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

SuperstitionMAN

Post by SuperstitionMAN » Mar 12 2006 9:03 am

In response to Shi's reply:

Hi Shi,
I just wanted to share some of the pictures from Tony Cabin with ya....www.phxtroop109.org

Good seeing ya there.

Shi

Post by Shi » Mar 12 2006 12:09 pm

:lol: Those are great! Thanks for sharing. It was nice running into you guys and seeing how much fun you were having. That flipping clip is hysterical! Mary

Ancient Indian Proverb

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 12 2006 6:07 pm

"Is there any water in the Superstitions????"

There is now!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “Water Availability”