water and rock jam in Buckskin

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
renshiwo
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

water and rock jam in Buckskin

Post by renshiwo » May 16 2006 12:32 pm

Has anyone been through Buckskin Gulch recently? We are headed there this weekend (provided the weather holds) and I'm looking for up to date info on pools and the boulder jam. Also, we are planning on spending one night at the confluence and one night between the confluence and Lee's Ferry - anyone have a favorite campsite to recommend?

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » May 16 2006 12:59 pm

Downclimbing THROUGH the boulder jam is usually easiest & safest.

re. pools - you might call the BLM in Kanab @ (435) 644-4600; they may have current pool reports. The Paria R.S. has an unlisted #.
You may also try Easton @ 928-660-2674, he lives next door to the Paria River & sometimes knows...

There are many terrific camping spots along the way to Lees, especially on the river bank under some cottonwoods. I have camped (early) across from Wrather (arch) Canyon. The arch is a worthwhile side trip. Camping there would make for a long third day, though, so I'd recommend against that in May; bearing in mind that the last 10+ miles to Lees can get pretty toasty this time of year.

Lees Ferry Lodge at Vermilion Cliffs afterwards ( dead link removed ) for some cool, adult beverages.

re. a shuttle... Try Easton (# above) or Steve & Susan @ (928) 691-1047.
Steve & Susan also offer an all-you-can-eat BBQ supper that is unbeatable. http://www.paria.com/Food___Lodging/foo ... RestaurantTheir Paria Outpost restaurant is at 89 & the Paria River. They serve on Fridays and Saturdays.

Easton's Paria Campground has showers, camping & laundromat.
http://www.pariacampground.com

Weather forecast looks exceptional after Friday... it'll be a great weekend!
Have fun!
kurt

renshiwo
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by renshiwo » May 18 2006 8:11 am

Thanks for the info. I called the kanab ranger station and one of the rangers had been through last week. He encountered some waist deep pools and said the longest wade was about 30 feet. Most of the pools can be avoided, but some stretch wall to wall. We've been getting a bit of rain here in Flagstaff, but he said that none of it had made it up to that area. Should be a fantastic weekend!

Return to “Water Availability”