Superstitions Water?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
dlbar2000
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Superstitions Water?

Post by dlbar2000 » Nov 09 2007 5:57 pm

Hi all. I am looking for some current updates on water availability at some of the springs like Bluff Spring, Charlebois, Dripping, LaBarge or 2nd water. I am taking a group of boy scouts out in a week and would prefer not to have to carry a bunch of water. i would rather teach them how to treat and be safe with water when hiking.

thanks.

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Re: Superstitions Water?

Post by Davis2001r6 » Nov 12 2007 2:19 pm

nonot wrote:I chase the critters down and suck it out of their mouths too. Those fish in Charlesbois? They get too much, so I personally drank 35 gallons out of the trough. I also set up unnecessary cairns all over the place. Now, why can't I find someone that likes to hike with me?
:sl:
Now thats funny! Those dang fish getting all that water.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Nov 12 2007 4:58 pm

Yeah, you guys are all right... Way over the top... I'll leave my outrageous ranting for a while.

I just like to get out my soapbox every now and again and then bash people over the head with it. Sorry to offend, but at least we got some heated activity in the forum again right?

Nonot; and you think you can't find anyone to hike with?

Tim & Rallytoad; you guys make the points that shut me up, well done sirs.

Matt; thanks as usuall for keeping me in line.

New guy looking for water report; just, sorry ;-)
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Nov 12 2007 5:27 pm

Matt we know you mean well, that was just a bit over he top for me. I just can't see myself carrying 30+ lbs of water for a couple day trip. Sure does kill any "lightweight" thing we might be trying to accomplish.

I'll have a campfire when allowed to as well, but don't make new fire rings there are plenty of existing ones.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Nov 12 2007 5:32 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:I'll have a campfire when allowed to as well, but don't make new fire rings there are plenty of existing ones.
Well if you're going to have a fire, then you better pack in your own wood. There is precious little dead wood out there and you wouldn't want to deprive the desert critters of a nice warm fire.

(Sorry Matt. I couldn't resist!) :D
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Davis2001r6

Post by Davis2001r6 » Nov 12 2007 5:43 pm

I figured that one was coming, but there are plenty of spots were there is tons of wood out there. To be honest I can't remember the last time i had a fire (backpacking) in AZ. Had nice ones every night we were allowed in the sierra's but there was A LOT of downed wood to be had.

dlbar2000

Post by dlbar2000 » Nov 12 2007 5:51 pm

Wow. I am almost sorry I asked. But for clarity (not necessarily the water) let me give you a brief outline of "the plan".

We will not exceed 15 in the group.
We practice and teach Leave No Trace.
We will carry enough water to get us through.
We will teach the scouts what do do in an emergency situation.
We will teach them respect in the outdooors.
We will take them away from the tv and x-boxes.
We will teach them moral character and good citizenship.
We will teach them how to back pack in the "wilderness".
We will get away from car camping.
We will have fun.

So if by chance you see us stop and say hello.

Thanks for all your help.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Nov 12 2007 5:55 pm

You sound like a "stand-up" dude and your list of "teachings" is admireable. Sorry we hijacked your thread with petty squabbling. We're not always like this....really. :oops:
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

dlbar2000

Post by dlbar2000 » Nov 18 2007 9:36 pm

Well the bad news is the scouts did not make it to Labarge. We did make it to Bluff Springs however. And if you are wondering YES there is water flowing from the pipe. It took about 5 minutes to fill up a gallon jug. After filtering it I can guarantee it tasted better than the City of Phoenix water from my tap.

For those of you concerned about how much water we used ......we only borrowed 6 gallons from the spring.

Thanks for all your comments and help. I look forward to more in the future as we plan different activities in the Supes.

djui5
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by djui5 » Nov 19 2007 9:02 pm

dlbar2000 wrote: For those of you concerned about how much water we used ......we only borrowed 6 gallons from the spring.

Water hog!

just kidding :)

If you want to take the boys on a trek to do some cleaning up/trail maintenance, let me know :) I can suggest some places.

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 20 2007 10:24 am

I definitely saw a group of scouts at Bluff Springs this weekend... Must have been y'all.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Return to “Water Availability”