with all this rain?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

with all this rain?

Post by rally_toad » Dec 09 2007 12:12 am

anyone know how long upper first water will be flowing? would like to head out when there is water, but wont be able to till next week.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: with all this rain?

Post by chumley » Dec 09 2007 10:42 am

I don't know, but most similar washes would only run for a day or two at the most. By next weekend there will likely only be some remaining pools, but little or no running water.

Of course, there is still the forecast potential for showers and thunderstorms through Tuesday night, so if the upstream area gets hit with something that drops 2+ inches, there might be some flow until about Thursday or so.
Highway to hell

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 09 2007 10:18 pm

Chumley,

I can't believe that you don't know how long the creek will be flowing! What's wrong with you? Everyone knows that Upper Firstwater will be flowing until Friday at 11:59 PM, when it will then abruptly stop flowing before any weekend warriors can see it.

;-)
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Dec 10 2007 8:20 am

I was out this past W/E in Upper First Water and West Boulder. Saturday UFW was a banshee as was WBC. WBC was kayakable. By Sunday AM WBC had subsided, but only by about 1/2. O'Grady, same thing. Obviously, it's still raining, with more forecasted for tomorrow, Tuesday. With the ground already saturated and the thin top soil in that area, it's anyone's guess.
It sure was beautiful out there with every single thing that could flow, flowing. Waterfalls everywhere!
Barring a 50 year rain I'd guess-ti-mate that you'd be able to hike UFW by this weekend, if not before - you'd still get wet, but it would be 'do-able'.
kurt

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Dec 10 2007 10:23 pm

Looking closely at the radar maps two cells passed over the Superstitions today.

The western Superstitions have a magical attribute for flowing water longer than seems feasible. It's all rock with a light layer of dirt acting as a big slow drip sponge on some of those slopes. The only real exit is various forms down to Canyon Lake. No clue on next weekend but I've been flat out astonished in the past.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Dec 11 2007 8:43 am

Massacre Falls was flowing strong last night.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

chumley

Post by chumley » Dec 11 2007 9:29 am

The nearest rain gauge is on Fish Creek, and has registered only .89".

Roosevelt Dam has received .79".

Today and tomorrow are probably the best days to be out there ... and least crowded. With the recent weather, this weekend may be more crowded in the Superstitions than in the mall. ](*,) (Ok, that might be a slight stretch.)
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Dec 12 2007 9:12 am

Apache Trail was closed yesterday evening past Tortilla Flats because Tortilla Creek is a raging effin' river.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Return to “Water Availability”