AZT 16 & 17 water availability

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
The_Dude
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

AZT 16 & 17 water availability

Post by The_Dude » Feb 12 2015 2:03 pm

I was hoping to get in a two day backpacking trip in a few weeks to do passages 16 & 17 on the AZT, heading north to south. I wanted to see if anyone had any information on water availability, especially along the Gila. Our plan was to start from the Picketpost TH and get in about 15-18 miles or so before setting up camp. I am hopeful to filter some water from the Gila if it has any sort of flow, if I can bring 3-4 liters to get me through day 1 that would be great, I am just trying to avoid lugging 2 gallons for the whole trip since we are going to try and burn through miles pretty quickly. Springs would be great too, but any of the ones listed on the AZT site for water availability are unreliable at best. There is also mention of the Gila being somewhat contaminated, but I am hopeful that would be closer to the 177 for mining runoff sake??? Any extra info or guidance would be greatly appreciated, this will be my first go at a passage of the AZT, long time coming. Also, safe to assume I should be able to find some decent trees to set up some hammock camping? This will be my first go without a tent, very intrigued about the lighter-weight option...

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: AZT 16 & 17 water availability

Post by The_Eagle » Feb 12 2015 2:44 pm

Before you filter from the Gila, you may want to read this.
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=8385&p=102255&hili ... er#p102255

Also, HAZ members are encouraged to make Water/Spring Reports after their hike. This information can be found while looking at the HAZ Map for the area you have in question.

It's much easier to choose a source if you have your planned track on the map first in Route Manager.
Click the water Icon in the upper left,
Click Find,
Click on the blue water drop (grey means dry, blue circle means no report) to see the water report for that source.
from this point you can also "Convert to Waypoint" to add this as a waypoint for your GPS Track.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 12 2015 3:35 pm

The water sources page on HAZ has the ones I was thinking of.

And while the reported discharge of mining waste into the river is a concern, I would certainly filter and drink it for a day or so before I'd get too thirsty. Just don't put the sucky tube into the mud.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 12 2015 4:11 pm

@Sredfield

you don't tug on Superman's cape
you don't spit into the wind
you don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger
and you don't put the sucky tube into the mud :whistle:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Feb 12 2015 4:18 pm

@Tough_Boots
Well said Kyle Crotchy....
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Feb 13 2015 7:27 am

Thanks for the info gents, I had already looked at the water reports on HAZ and there was no recent activity so I went hunting on other sites, and thought I would see if anyone had more anecdotal info. Plus, I try to make it part of my life plan to never stick the sucky tube into the mud... :GB: As it turns out, of course after actually posting a request my companion for this hike had to bail. I will have to revisit this one, hopefully this fall.

Bob Lacourse
City, State: Gilbert Az

Post by Bob Lacourse » Feb 13 2015 11:58 am

@The Dude
This past Friday I shuttled a couple from Picketpost to Kelvin at the Gila River. They hike passage 16 and 17. A spoke with them Sunday after they finished. My 1st question to them was about water in any of the washes or anywhere else close to the trail. They said the entire trail was very dry. They had to pack water for 3 days on the trail.

Return to “Water Availability”