Question on the Highline (Hatchery to Horton)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
ljcygnet
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson Area

Question on the Highline (Hatchery to Horton)

Post by ljcygnet » Jun 02 2016 6:01 pm

I'm getting back into backpacking after years of health issues, and planning an overnight hike from Ellison Creek to the Horton Springs trailhead, via the Highline and Horton Creek trail. (I live in Ellison Creek estates, so I'll just be walking out my front door with a pack on :D)

I know that somewhere between the Hatchery and Horton there's a small creek that crosses the trail. How reliable is it? I'm trying to figure out if I should plan on pushing through to Horton Springs or if I could count on finding water and camping there. I haven't done that section in about twenty years, and every time I did it in the past was either during an active monsoon storm or around March, with snowmelt. So -- reliable or not?

I have three days off in the middle of the week, two weeks from now, so planning on going then. Worst part of the dry season, but I don't know when I'll get another three day "weekend" because my job hours are unpredictable and variable. At least it's during the middle of the week, though, which means no boy scouts.

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Re: Question on the Highline (Hatchery to Horton)

Post by ALMAL » Jun 02 2016 9:06 pm

D.I.C.K. Williams creek is always flowing at the Highline. It's only a mile maybe from Tonto creek.
You aren't late if you don't show up!

no avatar
ljcygnet
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson Area

Re: Question on the Highline (Hatchery to Horton)

Post by ljcygnet » Jun 03 2016 5:41 am

@ALMAL
Perfect, that's what I needed to know. Thanks.

Return to “Water Availability”