Window Peak via Ventana Canyon - water?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
illyanadmc
City, State: Cupertino, CA

Window Peak via Ventana Canyon - water?

Post by illyanadmc » Dec 20 2016 10:43 am

Hi, all! First time on the forum, but not my first time hiking in my hometown of Tucson.

My husband and I will be there for the holidays, and we're hoping to do an overnighter at Window Peak, hiking up Ventana Canyon and coming down either the same way or via Esperero. We hiked to Window Peak (via Ventana) as a day hike two years ago, so we're familiar with the trail; however, we'd brought all of our water with us, so we didn't pay much attention to the availability of water on trail.

Any info or tips y'all can provide would be great! It would be especially useful to know of any reliable water sources near the summit, so that we can (hopefully) drop off our gear and venture out for water for the night without having to backtrack too much.

As I mentioned, we're not sure yet if we'll be going back down via Ventana or Esperero, but we're definitely going up via Ventana, so water info for that trail is most appreciated!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Window Peak via Ventana Canyon - water?

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 20 2016 10:59 am

Sometimes at Maiden Pools. I haven't hiked it in some time, but they've had around half inch of rain over the past month in the area, so there's a good chance.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

illyanadmc

Post by illyanadmc » Dec 20 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks! Maiden Pools is about halfway up, right? (I was definitely hoping for closer than that...)

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 22 2016 5:28 am

@illyanadmc
Well, but it's the easy half, right? And you've got two storms moving in, so not to worry.

Look at the top of the page, for the A-Z dropdown menu of hike descriptions. Under V you will find Ventana Trail #98. After you do the hike, then post a triplog to that hike description. You can also read other people's triplogs on there. If you get confused, ask on the forum for help. You'll catch on pretty soon.

I used to live in Tucson, 13 years, and often think I'll probably move back there in a couple of years because I have many friends and some family there. My problem with Tucson is the lack of a river or big lakes for kayaking. I would really miss that. Patagonia Lake is tiny compared to what I'm used to out here on the Colorado River.

:welcome:
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

illyanadmc

Post by illyanadmc » Dec 22 2016 8:23 am

@azbackpackr

Yes, it's the easy half, but that's my point - we'll have to lug a bunch of water up the not-so-easy half!

Although, considering these storms, we might end up nixing the overnight trip and just do a day hike. Not too keen on camping in the snow.

Return to “Water Availability”