Desert bighorn sheep poached near Yuma

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Desert bighorn sheep poached near Yuma

Post by hikeaz » Oct 24 2017 3:37 pm

YUMA, Ariz. – The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking information about the recent poaching of a desert bighorn sheep that was found near Yuma, Ariz.

A reward of up to $500 is being offered for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the killing of the adult ram through the department’s Operation Game Thief program. The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society is offering an additional reward of up to $500 for a conviction in the case.

The carcass was found floating in the Wellton-Mohawk Canal, where it meets the Gila Main Gravity Canal. Some portions of the hide, legs and head of the animal had been removed, and additional leg quarters were found floating in nearby Fortuna Pond ( dead link removed )

Game and Fish officials believe the sheep was shot around the week of Oct. 9 and that the suspects might have been visiting or camping at Fortuna Pond during that time-frame.

“There is no justifiable reason to poach an animal during a closed season and leave it to waste,” said Richard Myers, wildlife manager. “Poachers are not hunters or sportsmen. They are criminals who are stealing from the residents of Arizona.

“Due to the location of the crime scene, a fisherman or an off-highway vehicle user near the area may have seen something or heard something that may assist officers in solving this case.”

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the department’s Operation Game Thief hotline at (800) 352-0700, or visit ( dead link removed ), and refer to case #17-004025. Callers can remain anonymous upon request.
kurt

chumley

Re: Desert bighorn sheep poached near Yuma

Post by chumley » Oct 24 2017 3:57 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

People suck. :x

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Oct 24 2017 4:31 pm

@chumley
Yes they do and I hope they catch the lowlife that did it.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Oct 24 2017 6:37 pm

If you follow wildlife-related news, poaching of all species is super common in the US. Studies have shown that around 20% of all the deer and elk shot by hunters are shot out of season by poachers. Someone in Flagstaff shot a deer with an arrow a few years back (which means it was probably a hunter and not just some guy with a gun), and the poor thing was walking around for days with an arrow sticking out of him.

Frankly, this is just what happens when a large portion of people think that animals are playthings for humans. I'm actually surprised it isn't more common.

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 24 2017 10:26 pm

Poaching of bighorn sheep in Arizona doesn't seem to be too common. A quick search of azgfd showed a single incident in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, plus one in 2015.

I was surprised to learn that there is an $8,000 fine for poaching a bighorn sheep in Arizona, and arrests have been made and fines given.
Highway to hell

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Oct 25 2017 6:53 am

@chumley I guarantee that the actual number of bighorn poaching incidents is far higher than the number of poachers who are caught. Arizona is too big with too little law enforcement on public lands to catch most poachers. If the poacher takes the body to turn it into a trophy or food, there's no evidence left behind.

Return to “Flora & Fauna - Weather & Fire”