Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Trail Etiquette question

Post by DarthStiller » Oct 22 2007 11:15 am

Does anyone know if the trails in the Hawes Pass area are specifically for bikers? I had an unfortunate run in at the start with a rather ignorant and rude mountain biker. We had been hiking about 10 min. when this biker was coming in the opposite direction. We both were approaching a bend in the trail and he start to speed up to get around it before I did and made no effort whatsoever to yield the trail. On top of that, he was yelling something at me as he passed by and brushed me. Once he passed us, he stopped and said that the trails there are mainly for bikers and that I was supposed to yield the trail. I said , “Bikers yield to hikers”. He repeated that the trails were mainly for bikers and that I needed to learn the rules. I have never heard of any trails where hikers are supposed to yield to bikers. Especially ones maintained by the National Forest Service, as this was in the Tonto. I have seen on maps for county parks tracks that are dedicated exclusively for bikers, but no hikers are allowed on those at all. I found it really unbelievable that this guy would take the stance that the rules were the opposite of what is known as common trail etiquette, not to mention how he attempted to bump me off the trail while carrying a full pack.

Canyonram
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Re: Trail Etiquette question

Post by Canyonram » Jan 23 2010 2:32 pm

"I had the right-of-way" is on many a headstone.

I yield to everything on the trail: snakes, butterflys, snails, big rocks, tree limbs, etc. If someone is coming down the trail on a bike, I yield to the bike. It is a mechanical contraption that has no mind of its own and will bang into me if we are both intent on occupying the same space, especially so if the individual doing the steering is a mindless idiot. As to debating who has the right-of-way, never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

If you automatically yield, you defuse the opportunity to be offended and can instead enjoy your hike and time outdoors.

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Jan 23 2010 2:34 pm

Canyonram, well said.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 23 2010 2:38 pm

Yes, I like that kind of zen.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker

Post by DarthStiller » Jan 23 2010 10:00 pm

I feel like you guys are making me look bad despite why I posted this originally. I also take the pacifist stance about 99% of the time in terms of yielding the trail. Murphy's Law applying, the one time I don't due to the situation, the guy takes a hardline and gives me a lecture on trail etiquette, hence my motivation for this post. Oh well.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 23 2010 10:05 pm

Stiller wrote:I feel like you guys are making me look bad despite why I posted this originally.
I didn't even remember that it was your thread. :sl:

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker

Post by DarthStiller » Jan 23 2010 10:30 pm

If you click the link on the front page that announces the number of most recent posts in the forum, it take you to a page that shows my avatar on the left side, which is the author side. That's why I noticed it.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 24 2010 7:02 am

I had forgotten about that, too, Stiller. I really don't think anyone is picking on you here. However, if you want us to, I'm sure we can comply! ;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Jan 24 2010 12:45 pm

I’ve got to confess that if there is a line of bikers coming toward me and I move over and don't get a "thank you" from the first 2 or 3 .......... I hold my ground on the remaining. I'm a big guy and they can't ignore me. They stop and let me by or run off the side of the trail. I just want a thank you or a head nod.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 24 2010 2:52 pm

If someone's dog was taking a dump in my yard I could take the so-called "High ground" and just let him or her do it and clean up after it later. I refuse. They get an earful and are made to pick it up while I watch regardless of whether or not they are prepared to retrieve and transport said feces. Consequently, my neighbor to the side and across the street's yards are now graced with feces. They took the "High ground" and now their yards smell worse than normal. One can choose to let the whole world walk all over him or choose not to. Some thing here. Rude behavior is rude behavior. Some frappachino-breathing donkey on the trail acting like he owns the place will get out of my way if it's right for him to do so. Will he then change his ways? Heck no, but he won't bother me again.

Caveat Emptor: Some situations lend themselves to allowing the idiot to continue unabated, some don't...it depends.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Jan 24 2010 7:35 pm

Rude behavior is rude behavior.. there are currently several threads on biking forums complaining about rude encounters with hikers :sl:

to be fair, in each case they also commented that they were the same kinds of hikers 'we' tend to dislike encountering too.. those frappachino-breathing folk
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker

Post by DarthStiller » Jan 25 2010 10:36 pm

I'm really a nice guy, normally :bdh:

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 25 2010 10:49 pm

big_load wrote:
Stiller wrote:I feel like you guys are making me look bad despite why I posted this originally.
I didn't even remember that it was your thread. :sl:
right, that was about 1,000 beers ago.. ;)
:D

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Jan 26 2010 10:08 am

In response to Stiller:
me too, I didn't even mention the hikers with the unleashed dogs that went after us while mountain biking.. which subsequently got US yelled at about scaring the dogs :sl:

Then I'd just need to have been nude.. with a taco.
mike

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 26 2010 10:35 am

dysfunction wrote:In response to Stiller:
me too, I didn't even mention the hikers with the unleashed dogs that went after us while mountain biking.. which subsequently got US yelled at about scaring the dogs :sl:

Then I'd just need to have been nude.. with a taco.
...And a gun.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 26 2010 10:41 am

I actually wish they would designate a few trails out here as "Primarily mountain bike." Do you know what a pain in the rear it is to stop and get off trail for a group of equestrians and dodge horse apples on a bike at speed? It stinks...literally. Bikes and horses down here seem to share a lot of trails with frequency.

It might also give bikers a place to be a little more reckless. If I knew a trail was used primarily by bikers I would avoid it when on foot and be much more aware if I were walking it, plus I'd yield to them. There's no reason why some of these really wide and flat old trails in the systems down here can't become bike-centric trails, IMHO...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Jan 26 2010 11:55 am

yea, I know I will yield to bikes on trails that I know are popular 'downhill' trails.. the whole Bugs Springs, Molino, La Miligrosa route for instance.. mostly because I do know what a pain it can be (especially coming around a corner) to unclip and bail from the trail at speed. I do always say thanks though to hikers that are nice enough to yield, it's greatly appreciated. I just wish every group out there had more common courtesy.

BTW, I've seen recently people hiking out in the Fantasy Island trail system. This confused me, mostly because it is pretty much a primarily bike area.. but more so because there's really nothing out there that's worth hiking to IMO.
mike

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 26 2010 1:27 pm

Yeah. People will walk in the Tucson Mall, too, with the whole outdoors available right, well, right outside the door. Duh! And perfectly healthy people will walk around their neighborhoods, the same blocks, over and over again, day after day. And people will even spend their perfectly good, beautiful, sunny, 70 degree Saturdays and Sundays shopping at Walmart and the mall, when they might be able to schedule these trips after work...or not at all. And people will sit home and watch TV while outside it is sunny and and the sky is blue and goes on forever...their lives slipping away, while they sit indoors on their day off...

Let them rot in their boredom. More room on the trail for me, I say...life is short, go hiking.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 26 2010 2:04 pm

dysfunction wrote:yea, I know I will yield to bikes on trails that I know are popular 'downhill' trails.. the whole Bugs Springs, Molino, La Miligrosa route for instance.. mostly because I do know what a pain it can be (especially coming around a corner) to unclip and bail from the trail at speed. I do always say thanks though to hikers that are nice enough to yield, it's greatly appreciated. I just wish every group out there had more common courtesy.

BTW, I've seen recently people hiking out in the Fantasy Island trail system. This confused me, mostly because it is pretty much a primarily bike area.. but more so because there's really nothing out there that's worth hiking to IMO.
Yea, Starpass too. I'm not sure why anyone would want to hike there when there are five or six better trails for hiking right there in the vicinity. Molino is terrible. It's become a huge noob spot for bikers and you take your safety in your own hands there some days!! :scared:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 26 2010 2:07 pm

azbackpackr wrote: Let them rot in their boredom. More room on the trail for me, I say...life is short, go hiking.
Insert/play a big royal AMEN here.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 26 2010 3:16 pm

I'd rather find myself on the boring-est of boring trails over paying to enter a gym loaded with ultra high staph infection opportunities.

...back to Trail Etiquette
My bike encounters for the past few years at South Mountain have typically been very pleasant. In all honesty the baddest apples I've encountered are hikers. A little forewarning... nobody wants to be around Bob when his meds wear off :stop:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Hiking 101”